Firefox and HTTP basic auth

Options

I haven't been able to use the "Autofill" button in 1password to log in to a particular site I use. It uses HTTP basic auth to log in. I always just copied the password manually.

Today, I tried removing the trailing slash from the website record in 1password and I found that I could load the site, hit ESC, then reload and 1password would show the Autofill button.

Later, I added the trailing slash back to the website record and I saw the same. Hit ESC, then reload, and I saw the Autofill button. So apparently it wasn't that slash.

I do use the multi-account container extension and this site is normally in my "work" container, but I moved it back to the default container, restarted the browser and saw the same thing happen. I had to hit ESC and reload the site to see the Autofill button.

I tried basic.fill.dev as suggested in another thread and that showed the same problem. I had to hit ESC, reload to see the Autofill button.

1Password for Mac 8.10.28
Firefox extension: 2.22.1

Thanks,
Donncha

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @donnchaoc! 👋

Thank you for reporting the issue, I've been able to reproduce it as well. It looks like the container add-on/feature might be causing some difficulties here since I can't reproduce the issue when containers are turned off. Just to confirm, is this your experience as well?

I've filed an issue to have our development team look into this further. For the time being, reloading the page appears to be the easiest workaround if you'd like to continue using containers in Firefox.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#29004

• donnchaoc
    donnchaoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I tried turning off the multi-account containers extension and even the Facebook one too. Unfortunately, I still had the same problem. So, it might not be the container extension. Frustrating.

In testing, I did discover I only needed to press ESC, and then click the 1password icon and the extension then recognised the URL and allowed me to autofill. Clicking on that reloaded the page, and I was logged in. There was no need for me to click reload to get the http auth dialogue up again.

I'll test my extensions over the next day or so and see if disabling any of them makes a difference.

Donncha

• Dave_1P
    Options

@donnchaoc

Thanks for the reply. It's possible that we're running into different issues. Just to confirm: when the containers extension is turned off do you see the issue when you follow these steps:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select New Item > Login.
    2. Add the URL https://basic.fill.dev to the item
    3. Enter test as the username, and autofill as the password.
    4. Navigate to this link -> https://basic.fill.dev
    5. Left click the 1Password icon in the toolbar, and click 'Autofill'.

I know that you said that you could reproduce the issue with these steps when containers are on but I'm curious if it's still there if containers are turned off. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• donnchaoc
    donnchaoc
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply. I disabled the multi-account container extension (and the Facebook one too, just in case) and I did NOT see the "Autofill" button when I clicked the 1Password icon when I visited basic.fill.dev.

I disabled every extension bar 1Password and Tampermonkey (I'm not sure if disabling deletes my scripts?) and I still didn't see the Autofill button.

It's something else. I'm not sure what, but 1Password doesn't recognise the URL when I click the extension icon unless I click ESC to stop the page loading.

I don't suppose there's a debug mode that logs to the console when things don't work?

Donncha

• Dave_1P
    Options

@donnchaoc

Thanks for the testing and for the reply. I've done some more testing on my end as well and I can now reproduce the issue as well. I've made sure to get this in front of the development team.

For the time being, as you've already noted, dismissing the basic authentication prompt by pressing esc and then reloading the page is the best workaround. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future update to 1Password for Firefox.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#11814