Mac AutoFill in desktop apps

Options
gussic
gussic
Community Member
edited April 17 in Mac

Hi, on macOS I've noticed that within the System Preferences -> Passwords preference pane there's an option: "Use passwords and passkeys from" The only entry is iCloud Keychain.

On iOS there's a similar option, and here 1Password shows up, in addition to iCloud Keychain.

Just wondering why 1Password won't show up on macOS - is it a bug, or just 1Password have decided not to integrate with the relevant API or something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited April 14
    Options

Yes, it's the AutoFill on macOS that's not implemented (at the OS level I guess?) Just tried Strongbox and that integrates fully...and the autofill experience is vastly superior. Given 1Password support this on iOS, why not on macOS?

EDIT: A real life use case on why the system level integration is good and should at least be an option.

When logging into the Discord App 1Password works great with Universal AutoFill - it fills in the password and username which the system level API doesn't do (as far as I am aware?) but, then if you have a Passkey saved for your Discord Account it'll prompt you for that. 1Password can't present the Passkey to the Discord App (I tried)...but the system level AutoFill could - so having a Passkey in iCloud Keychain allowed me to authenticate.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @gussic! 👋

Thanks for the feedback! On the Mac, 1Password is able to autofill in browsers and apps using two different technologies:

Since there are already two different filling methods for the Mac, support for macOS AutoFill hasn't been added on top of those. In addition, 1Password in the browser and Universal Autofill are developed by our team and that means that 1Password can directly fix filling issues when they occur, something that wouldn't be possible with macOS AutoFill.

if you have a Passkey saved for your Discord Account it'll prompt you for that. 1Password can't present the Passkey to the Discord App (I tried)...but the system level AutoFill could - so having a Passkey in iCloud Keychain allowed me to authenticate.

If you're using 1Password on your mobile device then you can choose to scan a QR code using your device's camera app and sign in using your passkey from 1Password on your phone. That being said, this is good feedback! I can definitely see the gap in functionality here and I've passed your comment and request along to the team internally.

-Dave

ref: PB-39280852

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. Universal autofill does work well at times but it’s not perfect (as no system is) and I just can’t see why adding the native mechanism on top of this would be a bad thing?

Surely it’d be trivial to add given you support it on iOS ?

On top of this, I find the browser extension to have been problematic in safari - unlocking, filling etc. the extension often says it needs to be reloaded etc. using the autofill system provided by macOS could be a good alternative?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@gussic

Thanks again for the feedback. I've opened a feature request on your behalf.

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with 1Password for Safari and Universal Autofill. Can you tell me a little more about the issues that you're running into with Universal Autofill? I'd be happy to file bug reports with the team.

Regarding 1Password for Safari: our team is working to address a couple issues that sound similar to the symptoms that you're describing. Are you using profiles in Safari by any chances?

-Dave

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Generally it’s unreliable won’t auto fill into discord, system based log in with Microsoft prompts (email), OneDrive app have to manually copy and paste into fields in the app.

As for safari yep using profiles. Hard to escape the assumption this trouble in safari wouldn’t happen if the system provided auto fill was in place though

• Dave_1P
    Options

@gussic

Thanks for the reply and for letting me know about the specific places Universal Autofill isn't working for you. The team would be interested in looking into those issues further, the problems you're seeing in Safari sound like they're related to a known issue. I'd like to request a couple of logs so that our team can confirm this and look into what workarounds might be available while our developers work on the issue:

Attach both files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited April 16
    Options

Re Logs & Support ticket

Thanks @Dave_1P I’ll do this when I get home tonight.

Re Native Autofill

I can see native macOS Autofill has been requested a few times previously on here but hasn’t been implemented.

Can you please give a realistic idea on the likelihood of it being implemented?
    I assume it’s low?

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

The Support ID number I received is: ZAA-31343-612

If you need anything further let me know. Look forward to hearing back about the likelihood of native Autofill being implemented as well.

Cheers

• Dave_1P
    Options

@gussic

Thank you for posting the Support ID, one of my colleagues will send you a reply via email as soon as they've reviewed the logs that you sent in. Keep an eye on your inbox.

I can see native macOS Autofill has been requested a few times previously on here but hasn’t been implemented.

I'm not personally aware of any plans but that would be a decision for our product team to make. The team generally doesn't pre-announce features before they're released to avoid disappointing folks if a feature is delayed or cancelled. But my feeling is that the team is focusing on 1Password for Safari and Universal Autofill. If support for macOS AutoFill is released then you'll see it noted in our release notes:

Since we have a communications channel open via email, let's continue the conversation there. I'll close this thread to prevent duplication in efforts. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ZAA-31343-612

This discussion has been closed.