Can't Unlock With Apple Watch

zerolight
zerolight
Community Member
edited July 31 in Apple Watch

I've been using 1Password for years, unlocking with Apple Watch, largely without issue. There was one occasion when I needed to disable and renable Apple Watch unlock in Mac System settings, but in the years I've been using it, it's mostly not been an issue.

Then a couple of months ago it just stopped working. A couple of weeks later I replaced my Watch Series 7 with an Ultra 2, so a completely new device replacing the old one. And it's still the same. I can no longer unlock 1Password with my watch. I've even tried removing and re-adding, but same story. The Watch works just fine for unlocking my Mac, or making Apple Pay Purchases on my Mac, but it will not unlock 1Password. I get a dialog telling me that it is awaiting a response from my watch, but I don't get any notification on my Watch and have to choose to use Account password instead on Mac.

Rebooting doesn't work. Removing and re-adding watch doesn't work. Assistive Touch is NOT enabled.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.4.1
Browser: App, Chrome, Vivaldi, Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 13

Hello @zerolight! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock the 1Password for Mac app using your Apple Watch. Please try these steps in order:

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch"). (If you don’t see the Apple Watch option in 1Password then skip this step.)
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Uncheck your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    3. Turn off your Mac.
    4. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    5. Turn on your Mac.
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Check your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    7. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

If that still doesn't work then, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac: Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• zerolight
    zerolight
    Community Member
    edited May 14

Hi Dave

Thanks. I did all of that multiple times. Except that I never tried restarting my watch. Oddly that fixed it. A simple restart this morning without repeating all the other steps. Thanks.

• @zerolight

I'm happy that restarting your Apple Watch resolved the issue. If the problem does come back then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• mediasconcept
    mediasconcept
    Community Member

Merci, c'est impeccable, cette procédure fonctionne à merveille. Je pensais que le dysfonctionnement était lié à la mise à jour de Sonoma 14.5, eh bien non.

Merci,

Patrice

• mediasconcept
    mediasconcept
    Community Member

Patrice et non Patrick ;((

• @mediasconcept

Je suis heureux que ces étapes aient également résolu le problème pour vous. 🙂

I'm happy that the steps resolved the issue for you as well. 🙂

-Dave

• illah
    illah
    Community Member

Hi there @Dave_1P I have tried these and various other steps and have never been able to get this feature to work, which is especially problematic as my M1 MBP is typically docked and thus the touch ID is not readily accessible.

Most of the time even the option to enable Apple Watch in the 1P settings is not available, however sometimes I have seen it show up. Despite selecting the checkbox, it 1) does not work and 2) the option then disappears.

One possible edge case I can think of is there are two user accounts on this machine, one tied to my Apple Watch and the other is not. But if this edge case has been accounted for, I can't figure out why I can't get this feature working.

• Hello, @illah. Thank you for writing in. I am sorry about the problem you are running into with unlocking 1Password with your Apple Watch.

So that the team can take a closer look at the issue you are experiencing, I would like to request that you send us a diagnostics report to support+forum@1Password.com.

With your email, please include the following:

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

Thank you!

-Evon

• illah
    illah
    Community Member

Hi @EvonG1P the support ID is TIN-21533-939, thanks!

...and of course, during this instance of opening 1P the Apple Watch did work (rare), but hopefully that's a good thing as it might show a difference in the logs vs. the many times I did not get the Apple Watch option!

• @illah,

Thank you for taking the time to send the diagnostics report. I've located your ticket and see that my colleague has replied to your email for further assistance; please continue the conversation there.🙂

-Evon

ref: TIN-21533-939

• MGDominguez
    MGDominguez
    Community Member
    edited July 11

I'm also seeing this same problem after updating to the latest 1P version, it was working fine before that. I have a Mac Studio without a Touch ID keyboard, but I can unlock my Mac and other apps with my Apple Watch. Not even the SSH agent wants to unlock with my Watch, and that always worked consistently in the past.

I went ahead and sent a diagnostics report to the address mentioned before and got this support ID: FTV-74354-968

• I'm sorry for the trouble, @MGDominguez. I've located your support ticket, and we will contact you as soon as possible about this issue.

-Evon

ref: FTV-74354-968

• AeroJoe
    AeroJoe
    Community Member

Unfortunately, after the latest update (1Password for Mac 8.10.36 (81036049)), unlock with Apple Watch stopped functioning for me. This occurred immediately after the 1P update. The 1P Unlock screen (browser and app) shows the following info/error:

You need to enter your account password before you can use Apple Watch unlock.

I've entered the 1P password numerous times and the error is always the same when attempting to unlock.

I've taken the steps @Dave_1P provided above (twice), however the issue persists.

Additional details:

• Intel iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.6.7 (22G720)
    • iMac unlocks successfully with the Apple Watch

Appreciate any help!

• This content has been removed.
  • Hi @looms and @AeroJoe - I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having. I'd like to ask both of you to send over a diagnostics report too, so that the team can take a closer look.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please attach your diagnostics report to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/145757/cant-unlock-with-apple-watch
    • Your forum username.

You'll receive an automated reply to your email from our BitBot assistant and this email will include a Support ID number. Please post that number here and I'll make sure your message gets to the right team. 🙂

• AeroJoe
    AeroJoe
    Community Member

Thanks @Kester.D_1P! I've sent the diagnostic report, as requested.

Support ID = VVV-92359-134

Appreciate the help!

• @AeroJoe

On behalf of Kester, you're welcome! It looks like the team has reached out to you internally. Please continue the conversation there. Thank you! 🙂

-Evon

ref: VVV-92359-134

• bspachman
    bspachman
    Community Member

+1 for me, so please update this thread when a resolution is discovered. Thanks!

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    edited July 15

I am running into this problem now as well! Happening on both of my Macs. Let me know if I should send a diagnostics

• @bspachman, @VirgilBoy,

So that the team can take a closer look, I request that you please send over your diagnostics report to support+forum@1password.com. With your email, please include your forum username and URL link (https://1password.community/discussion/145757).

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here, and I will be able to locate your message and make sure it has gotten to the right place. Thank you!

-Evon

• bspachman
    bspachman
    Community Member

@EvonG1P --

Thanks! NPF-46962-639

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

Your support ticket ID is DJF-29361-838

• Thank you, @bspachman, @VirgilBoy. I've located the tickets, and we will contact you as soon as possible about this issue.

-Evon

ref: DJF-29361-838
    ref: NPF-46962-639

• Unknown
    edited July 16
    This content has been removed.
  • @looms

The team is working with the issue. I'm sorry you encountered it. Please allow them time to locate and resolve the trouble. I do not have a time frame to offer.

• nolaquen
    nolaquen
    Community Member

@EvonG1P @ag_tommy

Adding my support ticket as well; I'm also having this issue.

BCZ-12446-964

• Thanks @nolagquen

ref: BCZ-12446-964

• This content has been removed.
  • PSS2P
    PSS2P
    Community Member

Same issue here. I sent the report and my Ticket ID is DJD-57717-663.

• @PSS2P

Thank you. Your report is here and with the correct team.

ref: DJD-57717-663

This discussion has been closed.