How to reset 1 Password 7 for iOS

PixelRogue
PixelRogue
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I have had 1P7 on my iPhone where I experimented yet nothing consequential associated. Looking at 1P7 again for a different need and, naturally, forgot the password. Nothing important to restore so simply need to reset/factory restore 1P7, replace the vault starting fresh. What options exist? Concerned deleting and reinstalling would automatically upgrade to newer version.

Request we do not discuss merits etc. associated w/upgrading to 1P8 for iOS.

Thank you,
-PR

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @PixelRogue! 👋

Thanks for the question. 1Password 7 is a separate app from 1Password 8 and it won't upgrade automatically. However, since it's no longer supported, 1Password 7 is not listed on the Apple App Store and is only available for installation from your App Store purchase history if you've previously downloaded the app on your iPhone or iPad.

If you're sure that you don't need anything in 1Password 7, and you confirm that your data is safely stored on other devices, then you can uninstall the app and then install it again from your purchase history to reset it by using these steps:

Warning: Uninstalling the app will permanently erase everything in the app. Make sure that you have access to any data that you've saved in 1Password, and want to keep, on another device before proceeding.

1. Open the App Store app.
    2. Tap the sign-in button or your photo at the top of the screen.
    3. Tap Apps.
    4. If you use Family Sharing, tap My Apps or choose a family member's name to see content that they purchased.
    5. Tap "Not on this [device]."
    6. Find 1Password 7, then tap the download button.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member
    edited May 22

Hello Dave,

Thank you for that information and was excited to give it a try. As instructed I was able to reinstall from the purchase history (yea! 😄) BUT I am now hitting a problem that didn't exist before deleting 😕. There was no need to sign into an account before. So now I'm further behind where I was when I started. 😟

Before the above response/actions, I was looking at a master password vault field ~ which would have been better because I could have kept trying until eventually hitting the correct password (tedious, however at least that would be in the right direction.)

Now I'm 100% STUCK. Signing in under credentials is asking for information that was never needed before (IE Sign-in address (my____.1password.com) Never had a setup code. There was never an Emergency Kit. No Secret Key. Never had to sign in before - everything was 100% local, the way it need to remain...shouldn't have to sign in to any account when the passwords are not to ever sync w/other devices, be stored online etc. etc. (the entire reason I am abandoning Apple Keychain when Apple FORCES iCloud Keychain to store ALL your passwords online just to use Home Kit. No way to sign into my older account, new account is forcing subscription models... pretty upset now...😣😖

Please help. This is everything I was trying to avoid and even though I was able to reinstall 1Password 7 back to the device, everything is now different.

• Dave_1P
    edited May 22

@PixelRogue

I'm sorry that you're having trouble setting up 1Password 7. As mentioned previously, 1Password 7 is no longer supported but I'll help as far as possible. When you reinstall 1Password 7 you should see a screen asking you to choose how you're using 1Password. The options should be as follows:

• 1Password.com (This requires an account).
    • iCloud
    • Dropbox
    • WLAN Server

If you don't see these options then, to help me better understand the situation, I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

When not using an account, the mobile app is a companion app to the desktop app. Can you also tell me which standalone vault method you were using before and what version you have a license for?

-Dave

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member
    edited May 22

Those options were not provided. When launching 1Password 7 the first screen offers a 'Create New Account" blue button and "Sign In' as a white button w/blue border. 5 graphic panels that could be slide swiping left-to-right. Image attached.

I only ever used 1P7 on the iPhone. I do not recall ever having 1Password for desktop (remotely possible but not something that was used or even installed in quite some time.) I have a strong preference to NOT sync password between devices leading me to think this wasn't a companion app.

----BEFORE----

----AFTER----

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member
    edited May 22

UPDATE: Even thought I selected download from the purchase history, 8 was installed. Installing 7 now from another spot in App Store.

Downloaded 7, and options are as described above. That said, I never had it connected to any servers, for same reasons as to have passwords live only on the device. I also just checked an old unused DropBox account, no signs of 1Password.
    Note: WLAN server presents a white panel, no options so no fields to connect to server.

• It was possible to use 1Password 7 standalone. We recommend 1Password 8 to help safeguard any data you place in 1Password and also we now how the ability for folks to use recovery codes (beta). Now is a good time to reconsider any choices.

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member

I need to get the previous one back please at a minimum.

• Dave_1P
    edited May 22

@PixelRogue

I'm glad that you were able to reinstall 1Password 7 for iOS. Without an account, 1Password 7 is best thought of as a companion app for 1Password on the desktop. It's not possible to create a standalone vault using just 1Password 7 for iOS, you'll need to use the desktop app and then sync the vault to the iOS app. Since both 1Password 7 and standalone vaults are no longer supported, all of the advice that we're able to provide is available in these guides:

Dropbox:

iCloud:

WLAN Sync:

Beyond these guides, we're unable to troubleshoot issues with standalone vaults or provide extensive support as we can with modern 1Password accounts. If you're unable to get things working using these guides then I recommend switching to 1Password 8 and a 1Password account which provides for a more reliable experience: Upgrade to 1Password 8

-Dave

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member

I may have had an account that could be cross referenced, but when I try for a password reset I'm given that secret key field which I've never seen before today. Anyone able to cross reference on support side?

• PixelRogue
    PixelRogue
    Community Member

Would that first image above be consistent with the vault screen for a companion app?

• @PixelRogue

Thanks for the reply. I'm not able to see account information here on the public forum but you can check to see if you have a 1Password account associated with any of your email addresses:

If you don't have an account, and would like to sign up, then we're currently offering big discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our old licensed version of 1Password. It you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership. 🙂

-Dave