How to fill my Microsoft account password when installing Windows

hawkeye1889
hawkeye1889
Community Member
edited May 28 in Windows

I’m thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 11 but I obviously would need to login to my Microsoft account during the install and because 1Password isn’t available yet I’d need to type manually and typing a 50+ character password isn’t easy, any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I'm using the Microsoft Authenticator app with my Microsoft account. It has a login method called "Send sign-in notification" that sends a pop up notification on your phone if you try to sign in to your Microsoft account. Upon receiving the notification, you have to unlock your phone, tap some number you're asked by Windows, and you're logged in without even entering your password.
    It's one of the methods Microsoft offers for "going passwordless".

This is one of the many multi factor authentication methods offered for a Microsoft account. If you're trying it out, make sure you choose the "Send sign-in notification", not the "enter a code from an authenticator app" method. The former sends the notification, the latter still requires your password.
    You set this up in your Microsoft account management > Security > Advanced Security Options > "Add a new way to sign in or verify".

• hawkeye1889
    hawkeye1889
    Community Member

I’m already using Authy for all my 2FA codes but I think I found a solution of using a memorable password instead of a random password in the password generator I didn’t know the option existed until today

• @hawkeye1889

Thanks for reaching out. Using a memorable password would have been my suggestion, 1Password's password generator allows you to generate a secure password that is easier to type in while still remaining secure. You can read more here:

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

• hawkeye1889
    hawkeye1889
    Community Member
    edited May 27

@Dave_1P related question, how does the password generator determine how secure a password is? I’m asking because Microsoft has specific requirements of upper case and lower case letters along with at least one symbol. A basic explanation is fine, it’s just hard as a user to know what is secure when websites have different requirements. To clarify I’m asking how a passwords score is determined in 1Password ie good excellent fantastic.

• @hawkeye1889

We have a great blog that goes into detail about that very question here: How 1Password calculates password strength

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• hawkeye1889
    hawkeye1889
    Community Member

Very helpful, thanks @Dave_1P , now the hard part is remembering the password when 1Password isn’t available 😀

• @hawkeye1889

If it helps, I find the Show in Large Type option in 1Password on my phone very helpful in those situations. It'll reveal the password in large letters on my phone that I can look at while typing it into another device. 🙂

-Dave

• hawkeye1889
    hawkeye1889
    Community Member

Thanks Dave, it’s difficult to remember the very few passwords that are needed when 1Password isn’t available. I guess in theory as long as I have access to at least one device that is signed into 1Password I should be safe

• Let me know if there's anything else that I can help with. 🙂

-Dave