To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Importing from a Bitwarden vault fails "No codec found"

Options
Mendelson9
Mendelson9
Community Member
edited June 11 in Memberships

I'm switching from Bitwarden to 1Password and after uploading my encrypted .json file to 1Password's "Import from Bitwarden" tool I get the following error after clicking next on the Upload page.

Unable to import.
no codec found to encode value in union type (Array | undefined)
Error Code:
Session: Removed in case this string is sensitive information.
Time: 2024-06-11T01:31:27.394Z

I followed instructions here and my Bitwarden account is using the proper KDF algorithm stated at the bottom of the page.

In the meantime I imported my Bitwarden vault via .csv but it does not include all the information as the .json file, such as creation date and previously used passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 14
Browser: Safari and Firefox

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@Mendelson9

Please send the session ID and any other details tosupport+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. Also may I ask do you have any passkeys enabled? If so please try the import with them disabled temporarily. I'm thinking that may be the issue.

• Mendelson9
    Mendelson9
    Community Member
    edited June 11
    Options

I removed the one passkey that I had but the import still fails. Unfortunately Bitwarden does not have a way to find logins with passkeys. You can export a .json file and search for "CredentialId" so I checks and can confirm that I have zero passkeys in my vault.

Will follow up via e-mail.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Thank you. I see your message has arrived. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: CNE-66396-257

• yossizahn
    yossizahn
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue, what is the fix?

• Dave_1P
    edited June 13
    Options

@Mendelson9 and @yossizahn

I'm sorry for the trouble with migrating your items to 1Password. Our team just released a series of improvements to the Bitwarden importer that should avoid the issues that have been reported to us so far:

Fix a number of bugs in the Bitwarden importer that would cause valid encrypted JSON exports to be rejected. {26893}

Can you try importing your items again? Let me know if you still see the same issue. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/b5/b5#26890

• Mendelson9
    Mendelson9
    Community Member
    Options

Tried importing again and got a different error.

Unable to import.
    Unsupported Bitwarden export. Make sure that your export file is JSON encrypted with a password.

My export file is JSON encrypted. email support said that the fix is upcoming with issue number {26890}