How to disable auto-signin feature?

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited June 25 in 1Password in the Browser

After updating my version of Chrome, I saw a popup from 1Password that logins would automatically be done after filling in login credentials. I then went to a website and the automatic signing in kept failing. I ended up manually entering my username and password and it worked. Not sure why the auto-signing didn't. How do I disable the auto-signin?

1Password Version: 8.10.33
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.5
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited June 25

Hello @ajahn! 👋

I'm sorry that the autosubmit feature is stopping you from signing in. You can turn off autosubmit by following these steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Autosave & fill.
    4. Turn off "Sign in automatically after autofill".

Are you able to tell me the address of the website where you ran into this issue? I can open an issue with our development team so that they can look into improving how autosubmit works there. 🙂

-Dave

• naseemdh
    naseemdh
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

I also had a problem. All of my institutions login pages (Ohio State University) failed with the autosubmit. Happy to give more details via email, as well as some screen recordings, given that you have to have OSU credentials to login.

-Naseem

• Hello @naseemdh, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry you ran into a problem with the Autosubmit feature. Please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com so we can take a closer look and report any issues to our development team. If the screen recordings are too large to attach, we can send you a secure upload link after you've sent the initial email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Evon

• Thanks for weighing in @HarshMilas. You can also find the direct steps posted earlier in the thread here. 🙂

-Dave

• MRubenzahl
    MRubenzahl
    Community Member
    edited July 2

Me, too.

The site is Kaiser Permanente.

1Password applies the credentials and immediately signs on but it fails: I get, "You've signed out of your account or we've automatically signed you out to protect your privacy. Sign in." If I try again, I get the same result.

I can log in manually. If I turn off "Sign in automatically after autofill," it also works.

Is this a bug? Maybe it needs a delay? I would like to leave "Sign in automatically after autofill" on and maybe turn it off on a site by site basis?

I'll leave it off for now...

MacOS 14.5
    1Password 2.25.1

• Hello @MRubenzahl, thank you for writing in.

I created an issue for our development team to investigate the problem on the Kaiser Permanente website when using Autosubmit.

In the meantime, I'd suggest temporarily turning off the Autosubmit feature or drag and drop the credentials from the 1Password extension pop-over. I realize this may not be ideal, and sincerely apologize for the interruption.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#30895

• llid3nlq
    llid3nlq
    Community Member

The worst part of all this is I spent an hour trying to find the solution in your app, then had to sign up to these forums JUST to be able to ask how to turn off this absolutely horrible feature.
    I was 5 seconds from taking a backup and moving to another product.

• @llid3nlq

Thank you for sharing that feedback! I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and I've shared this feedback with the team, so that they're aware.

Just to clarify, have you been able to successfully turn off the auto-submit feature in the 1Password extension's settings using the steps shared earlier in this thread here?

-David

• jdpace
    jdpace
    Community Member

I, too, was affected after the most recent update when logging in to my health insurance site, https://www.nebraskablue.com/member-login (click the Login button to get to the actual form). On the login form, they have a "Login as Guest Member" button beneath the disabled "Login" button. I suspect the "as guest" button is the action that gets selected by default when the form is submitted as a form of bot protection. Looking at the HTML code for the page, I can't explain why that button would be selected instead of the button labeled "Login". While the form inputs are empty, the "Login" button is disabled, but is enabled once the values have been filled out, so there may be a timing issue -- like the submission is happening too fast.

I had a similar issue on a form I was working on with an auto-filled date-of-birth. When the form was submitted via AJAX, the DOB was empty because the validate/store method was called on the change and input actions, which were never triggered by the auto-fill. I was able to replicate the behavior by changing the field value in the dev console. Does the extension click the first enabled button with a name like "Login" or "Sign In"? If so, that would explain my experience.

The behavior is the same in Chrome and Safari when using the auto-submit feature, and this site was the only site I experienced an issue with. For now, I'm content with turning off the auto-submit. Please let me know if I can provide more information.

• @jdpace,

Thank you for writing in. I appreciate the information. I've tested the website and have been able to recreate the same behaviour. I've reported the problem to our development team and added you as an affected user.

Does the extension click the first enabled button with a name like "Login" or "Sign In"?

That's possible. The 1Password extension looks for in fields of type submit and button.

If you encounter issues with Autosubmit on other websites, let me know, and I can submit the details to our development team.

I hope that helps.

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#31162

• jdpace
    jdpace
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

• You're very welcome, @jdpace.

-Evon

• Nusaram
    Nusaram
    Community Member

The feature is also not working well for https://www.alarm.com/login.aspx.

Note that I have 2FA enabled for my login and that's where 1P seems to be tripping up: On the second screen to enter the one-time code. I can't say for sure, but that is what it seems like and it happens so quickly but the net result is a after logging in, I am immediately logged out.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 16

Thanks for the report @Nusaram

I'll get this filed and before the team. This post covers how to disable the feature if needed.

ref: dev/core/core#31299

• Nusaram
    Nusaram
    Community Member

Thank you, @ag_tommy.

• Apologies @Nusaram It looks like I forgot the URL. Here it is should you need it and for anyone else finding this conversation.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/712862/#Comment_712862

• Nusaram
    Nusaram
    Community Member

No worries and thanks again, @ag_tommy.

• I'm happy that Tommy was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member

How do I globally disable "Sign in automatically"?

• BrainD
    BrainD
    Community Member

How can I persist browser extension settings across a safari reset (clear history). Eg globally for auto login ?

• @nciiis

You can use the following steps in each browser. There is not a global settings.

To disable auto-submit entirely for all sites.

1. Right-click 1Password in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select Autofill & save.
    4. Turn off auto-submit - "Sign in automatically after autofill
      1Password will automatically submit forms after filling logins."

To disable auto-submit on a per site basis:

1. While viewing an item in the extension, select the ellipsis button.
    2. Choose “Don’t sign in automatically”.
  • @BrainD

The best option may be to suggest using private browsing mode and this would hopefully alleviate the need to clear any browsing history.

• AlexY
    AlexY
    Community Member
    edited October 19

The auto signing-in feature should be disabled by default.

Not only it's buggy. But it a has a built-in flaw:

Most of login forms have a "remember me" checkbox, and 1Password gives me no time to check it, and rushes into submitting a form.

This drives me nuts. Every time I see this, I hope the product manager who made the decision burns in hell :) I have too many computers to remember to disable this setting all the time.

To the point that I'm almost ready to cancel my subscription and move to a competitor.

• @AlexY

Thank you for the feedback, I'm sorry that the autosubmit feature is getting in the way. You can turn it off by following these steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click "Autofill & save".
    4. Turn off "Sign in automatically after autofill".

I have too many computers to remember to disable this setting all the time.

Once you turn the setting off once, it'll stay turned off in that specific browser. That being said, I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have our team look into syncing the state of the "Sign in automatically after autofill" across all of your browsers.

-Dave

ref: PB-43595921