1P Slow to Load

BenBob
BenBob
Community Member
in Mac

For the last couple of months I have notice 1P is slower loading than it used to be. This happens regardless if you open it fully or use the quick access. It is not real slow - but longer than it used to be - seems to take up to about 10 seconds to fully load.

Additionally there seems to be a problem with the links below version and extension - when those links are clicked to find out how to ..... it does not take you to where the question is answered - it takes you to other pages - see attached screen shots.

1Password Version: 8.10.34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• @BenBob

A little off-the-wall question. Have you recently bought a new Mac and or used Time Machine or Migration Assistant for a transfer or restore? I've seen folks describe this slowdown in such situations, and replacing the installed app with the correct version helps. To be clear, in my experience, this can happen when the Intel version is installed onto an M series Mac. Because both methods copy over what was in a backup, this can happen because that backup is sent to the new device.

Please let me know and I can get you a few steps to get you going again. They are relatively easy steps.

The links cover both products 1Password 8 and 1Password in the browser. They can be used by themselves or in conjunction with one another. The lower image is how to enable automatic updates of 1Password 8 (desktop application). 1Password 8 goes by the common name of 1Password. The first image is how to check for updates for 1Password in the browser.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Thank you - my mac is a 2022 purchased in 2023 with the M2 chip. The only thing I can think of is that I did re-install the operating system a month or so ago - maybe that's a problem?

• Hey @Benbob

It sure will not hurt to try the steps. The best case is it resolves the situation and the worst case is things remain the same and I'll need to get you over to our technical team for a deeper look.

Following the steps below should not affect your data in any way. Your data is maintained outside of the Application. Essentially, what you're doing here is an update.

• Ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit and that you know your password.

• Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
      2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit.
      3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
      4. Restart the Mac.
      5. Download 1Password 8. https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip
      6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
      7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Thank you sir - that seems to be working - I'll keep monitoring to see if it continues behaving correctly.

Than you

• You're welcome.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

ag_tommy - I didn't have any of the circumstances you described to BenBob - same machine and a setup for 2 years - but 1P was suddenly very slow to load and respond.

I followed your instructions and it fixed everything. Zippy and responsive again.

Just wanted to say thanks!

• @Carbon14

Thanks for sharing your experience, and on behalf of @ag_tommy, you're most welcome! It's great to hear that things are working well again after following the instructions they shared.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

-David

• jeffhandley
    jeffhandley
    Community Member

I was having this same problem over the past couple weeks, also following years of continuous usage/installation without experiencing this before.

I followed the uninstall/reinstall instructions and I'm back to good. Seems like an unfortunate regression introduced in a recent upgrade, but I'm happy a clean install resolved it. Thanks, @ag_tommy!

-Jeff

• @jeffhandley

I'm happy that Tommy's instructions helped. 🙂

-Dave