When upgrading to v8, App unable to start correctly (0xc000005)

DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown
Community Member

I am running Windows 7 on a VirtualBox VM. I have not booted this VM in quite awhile. I am trying to get the apps on the VM updated to best compatible versions. On the VM 1P is v7.9.836. The 1P user I'm trying to update from is a member of a Family.

I am able to logon to the user's 1P account and vault. 1P displayed a popup that was asking to re-logon due to a validation error. I was unable to complete the validation because the email, password or key was wrong. But the user stayed logged in to 1P. I also got a pop up recommending I update to v8. I just downloaded the latest version but with I try to run the installer I get the following error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

At the moment I'm posting this while logged in to the VM but for some reason I am unable to attach the screenshot of the error.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to fix the validation error before I update to v8. How to fix that.
2) Is v8 compatible with Win7 and how to fix the install error.

I welcome any ideas on what is happening and what to try to fix this.

1Password Version: 7.9/836
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hi @DoctorBrown, thanks for reaching out!

Do I need to fix the validation error before I update to v8. How to fix that.

Until you're able to successfully complete this, the app won't be able to sync any changes. As a first step I would recommend checking whether you're able to successfully sign in to this user's account on our website, 1Password.com, and whether they have a complete and up-to-date set of their data present there.

If you are able to sign in, and their data is complete, it's possible that the app may need a reset to clear out any old credentials and allow you to sign in from fresh.

If you're not able to sign in on our website or any data is missing there, let us know and we can give you the steps to email in for our support team to assist further.

Is v8 compatible with Win7 and how to fix the install error.

1Password 8 requires a 64-bit version of Windows 10 or later: System requirements for 1Password

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 are no longer supported by Microsoft, and this has some significant security implications. We would highly recommend upgrading to Windows 10 or 11 if at all possible, not only for ongoing compatibility with 1Password, but also because of significantly improved security features within Windows itself.

If you're not able to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11, the most up to date way to continue using 1Password on this VM will be to use the latest 1Password browser extension along with our website for any tasks that would usually require the desktop app, such as manually making edits to your items.

Let me know how you get on!

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited July 10

Until you're able to successfully complete this, the app won't be able to sync any changes.
    I See. I am able to open and log in as the Family Member to the 1Password app on the VM. All the data under this Member is correct. I am unable to log in to the my.1password.com account for the Member. On the VM I used the Secret Key listed in the 1Password app under Account. On my main system, I can log in as the Family Organizer and see the VM's Member account and all the information except the Secret Key (which I'm sure is normal).

At this point, is it correct to initiate the Recovery Process? I have the Emergency Kit created for this account. Is it possible that 1Password.com has suspended the user even though I can access it via the Family Organizer? The user is listed as Active.

Thank you for the information on the using 1P on Win7. I understand the security risks associated with staying on Win7. I will stay on 1P v7 on the VM. This VM is just for historical reference. (I'm a OS pack rat just because I can. :-p)

Thank you for the help.

• Hi @DoctorBrown, thanks for getting back to me! I understand that you're not able to sign in to this account on 1Password.com despite using the information from its Emergency Kit. Since looking into this might require discussing sensitive information, I'd like to ask you to email in to support+forum@1password.com so our team can assist further.

With your email please include:

Once you get a response with a Support ID, please post that number here so we can connect the dots. Thanks!

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member

Your support ticket ID is GNJ-95361-792.

I also got a response from Elly asking if the Member can logon to 1Password.com. I have replied to the email.

• Thanks @DoctorBrown

ref: GNJ-95361-792

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited July 12

I have been communicating with the support team via email. The issue was solved by following the recovery process here: Recover accounts for family or team members

Thank you for helping on this.

• Hi @DoctorBrown, it's great to hear that the issue has been resolved! Thanks for taking the time to share what worked 😄