1Password Firefox Extension goes blank when trying to edit Submit action

Options

When I go to edit one of my existing saved 1P passwords in the 1P Firefox extension, the entire panel will disappear. It seems to only happen when I click on the Submit dropdown list to try to change the action. Once the panel goes blank, only a browser restart will restore the panel again so I can use it. Right now, the only way I can edit my login info is using the 1P app. This only happens in Firefox and probably started with Firefox 21 or so. Safari and Chrome both work fine.

I'm using Firefox 23.0.1 with 1P extension version v 3.9.19. Mac OS X 10.8.4

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013
    Options

This is related to some change from addon-sdk version firefox22 to firefox23. It looks like Mozilla has known about this since June when it was still on the Aurora channel, but it is on their radar for resolution in the future:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=886329

• olsonjj
    olsonjj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Hopefully they fix it soon. Until then, I'll try not to click on the dropdown list in the panel.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In the meantime, if you enter Edit mode and then use the tab keys to navigate to the submit options, press the space bar key to bring up the options and then use the arrow key to navigate to the desired option, you can still accomplish the result in Firefox. Admittedly, this is a goofy workaround and not a long term solution, but I hope it might help in the short term. Since the bug has been reported many times (See all the duplicates in the bug report @khad linked to…) and is now assigned to one of the SDK developers, hopefully it will be resolved much sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed!

• ovejanegra
    ovejanegra
    Community Member
    Options

I've just started to use 1Password and had the same thing happen to me. I rebooted, and when the computer started again I clicked on Firefox, and before I had a chance to tell it to go to the forum it did, to exactly the issue I would have looked for! That's eerie!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe Mozilla fixed this and the fix should be available in a future version.

• mday108
    mday108
    Community Member
    Options

Frequently the ext goes blank and the only fix is to reinstall the ext.
    suggestions?

os 10.8.2
    fox 23.01
    ext 3.9.20.b3

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mday108,

I merged your post with this existing thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

• rcdalaska
    rcdalaska
    Community Member
    Options

Hello:
    I am using Firefox version 23.0.1 for the Mac and I am still having blank window issues using 1Password browser plugin version 3.9.19. I tend to open FF an keep it running while I am logged into my computer during the day. Eventually when I need to use 1P, the darn window is blank uggh!

I am going to downgrade to FF version 22 for the Mac until this is fixed.

My system details: Mac OS 10.8.5

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @rcdalaska. Thank you for the detailed bug report. This is actually a bug in Firefox. The fix is currently in the beta channel and is on track to release for Firefox 24 later this month. You can read and follow the progress on this issue at the Mozilla bug report.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Firefox 24 is out now. This should be resolved if you update to Firefox 24, but please let us know if you have any other trouble.

Thanks!

• bkray1
    bkray1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, This has been happening to me for awhile now. I am on OSX with Firefox 24 and I still get blank windows when I try and use the addon in fire fox. I have the mac app store version of 1 password. It also is still happening at work which is a win7 PC. Firefox sometiomes works there sometimes not. I took a screen shot but am not sure how to attach it.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for asking about this. I'm sorry for the trouble. I'll quote from the support article at the top of this forum category:

Unfortunately, in the latest versions of Firefox, there seems to be some changes that are causing issues for the 1Password extension. We've been looking into this trouble with Firefox but have not been able to find the cause. We started to see this issue within Firefox 23, and unfortunately Firefox 24 does not seem to have resolved it. It seems that it is related to opening new windows. It doesn't happen every time, but if you open enough new windows, you will eventually get a JavaScript exception, and the 1Password extension will cease to function properly.

We have not yet found a solution, but we do have four possible workarounds:

1. Join the 1Password 4 for Mac beta. This is the preferred option as we are integrating with Firefox in a different way in version 4 which is not affected by the Firefox changes.
    2. Switch to Safari or Chrome until Firefox resolves this issue. This may not be ideal depending on your workflow.
    3. Downgrade to Firefox 22 and disable automatic updates. This is not ideal from a security perspective.
    4. Never use more than one Firefox window. This may be the most tricky to implement since it's very easy to accidentally open a new window or browse to a site which does it automatically.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• bkray1
    bkray1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad, I had just read the post before mine and noticed I was still having the issue. I've applied for the beta so will hopefully give that a go soon. Thanks for the assistance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to help! Please be sure to check your spam folder if you don't receive the invitation to the beta soon. It should be pretty much instant after you confirm your subscription. :)

• rcdalaska
    rcdalaska
    Community Member
    Options

@khad,

I installed FF 24 today for the Mac and 1Password plugin menu is still blank.Reverted back to FF 22 again until this is fixed. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rcdalaska,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with Firefox. As Khad mentioned above, you also have the option of joining the 1Password 4 for Mac beta to resolve this issue. In any case, we do hope that there is a permanent resolution to this soon!

Thanks for your patience, and for keeping us updated :)

This discussion has been closed.