macOS Touch ID No Longer Working: "That Didn't Work"

aaronmorgan
aaronmorgan
Community Member
edited July 19 in Mac

Hello,

I'm having trouble using Touch ID. I recently removed my fingerprint from macOS Settings and re-added it and now I can no longer use my fingerprint to unlock 1Password.

When I open the desktop application, I'm prompted for my Touch ID but then I get the error "That didn't work. Check your password and try again."

I've tried the following:

• Shutdown my computer, turn it back on again to verify that Touch ID works
  • Withing macOS Settings: Turn off all Touch ID settings, remove fingerprint, add fingerprint, turn on all settings
  • Within 1Password Settings: Turn off Touch ID and turn it back on

I've even tried completely uninstalling 1Password, reinstalling, and following the steps above, but I get the same error.

1Password Version: 8.10.36
Extension Version: 2.25.1
OS Version: macOS 14.5
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• @aaronmorgan

Please submit a diagnostic report for the team. Here's how:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press Command and Comma (Control and Comma on Windows). The 1Password Preferences/Settings will open.
    3. Select Advanced.
    4. Select Send Diagnostics.
    5. Select Reveal to locate the report in your Downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: aaronmorgan
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/147141/macos-touch-id-no-longer-working-that-didnt-work#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• aaronmorgan
    aaronmorgan
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow-up!

I've submitted the email and have gotten the response:

Your support ticket ID is DTS-38975-398

• Thanks so much.

ref: DTS-38975-398

• sturmsucht
    sturmsucht
    Community Member
    edited July 19

hej! got a new mac mini with magic keyboard, but when I try to use 1password with touch id I get a "that didn't work. similar to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/146623/touch-id-does-not-work-in-new-macbook-air

I reinstalled 1password and also did a reset of 1password as suggested, but nothing.

any other tips?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.36 (81036049)
    Extension Version: Version 2.26.1 22600103 stable
    OS Version: macOS 14.5 (23F79)
    Browser: Brave Version 1.67.134 Chromium: 126.0.6478.186

• ag_tommy
    edited July 19

@sturmsucht

Congratulations on the new Mac. Thank you for giving those steps a try.

I'd recommend getting you into our support team and let them look at a diagnostics report. Please use the following steps to create a diagnostic report.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press Command and comma (Control and comma on Windows). The 1Password Preferences/Settings will open.
    3. Select Advanced.
    4. Select Send Diagnostics.
    5. Select Reveal to locate the report in your Downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: sturmsucht
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/147174/touch-id-not-working-on-new-mac-mini#latest
    • Note 1: Include if you restored using something like Time Machine or Migration Assistant.
    • Note 2: Include that you're already tried a reset.

-

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• sturmsucht
    sturmsucht
    Community Member

IYM-74517-593

• Thanks @sturmsucht

It's here and with the correct team. I pulled some logs from the report for their consideration. They'll get back to you via email as soon as possible.

ref: IYM-74517-593

• mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo
    mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo
    Community Member

I have the require password for touch ID set to 2 weeks. Recently it started asking for the master password every day.

1Password Version: 8.10.36
    Extension Version: 2.26.1
    OS Version: 14.5
    Browser: Chrome

• @mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock 1Password using Touch ID. So that I can investigate and provide a solution, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

-Dave

• PartyDog
    PartyDog
    Community Member

Touch ID worked correctly with 1Password up until yesterday. I have made no changes to the system nor have I applied any updates. I get a message stating "That didn't work, check your password and try again" when I attempt using Touch ID. Manually entering the password works as intended. I have tried completely uninstalling the 12Password app and extensions, and did not solve the problem. I have tried solutions from other forums, such as resetting 1Password, deleting and re-entering the fingerprints and these recommendations have not worked. The only way I was able to get the Touch ID working again was to downgrade to 1Password 7 from the App Store. This not a real solution, since 1Password 8 worked perfectly until yesterday and prefer to run the improved latest version. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

• @PartyDog

I'm sorry that Touch ID isn't working to unlock 1Password. Please send in a diagnostics report using these steps and our support team will be able to help further.

-Dave

• PartyDog
    PartyDog
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Thank you for your fast response. The Support Ticket ID Number is: ZMJ-15985-166

• @PartyDog

Thank you for the Support ID. It looks like my colleague was able to provide you with a workaround for your specific situation. If you have any questions then please respond to their last email and continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ZMJ-15985-166

• PartyDog
    PartyDog
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Thank you Dave! The workaround functions great.

• @PartyDog

I'm happy that the team was able to help. 🙂

If anyone else is running into issues with Touch ID not working then please send in a diagnostics report and the team will be able to provide a workaround for your specific situation while our development team works on a permanent fix.

-Dave

• 1Pemikaadeo
    1Pemikaadeo
    Community Member

@Dave_1P
    I already send diagnostics report 5 days ago but didn’t receive any workaround.
    My ticket ID: XGQ-26977-699

• @1Pemikaadeo

It's possible that you might be running into a scenario that doesn't currently have an available workaround. However, I'll have the team review your diagnostics report again and reach out to you via email with another reply as soon as possible. Keep an eye on your inbox.

-Dave

ref: XGQ-26977-699

• MacOakland
    MacOakland
    Community Member
    edited July 24

After a reinstall of Mac OS Sonoma, 1Password is wonky. It won't login via Touch ID and I keep getting "That didn't work."

I have gone to the trouble of doing several reinstalls, re-created fingerprints, etc. But nothing works.

This is pretty frustrating all around. Throw us a bone, here, 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• MacOakland
    MacOakland
    Community Member

Same problem here.

• @MacOakland

I'm sorry that you're running into a situation that sounds similar. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

-Dave

• mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo
    mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo
    Community Member

Your support ticket ID is IMB-13492-813.

• @mAofqAXZRUjNftczzZbo

Thank you for posting the Support ID, I see that one of my colleagues has already sent you a response. Please continue the conversation there via email. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IMB-13492-813

• dt27
    dt27
    Community Member

I had this issue with my Mac after I added a 2nd finger to Touch ID. Removing it restored expected behavior with Touch ID.

• Mais
    Mais
    Community Member

Hello!

I got the same problems with Touch ID and 1Password. I did several things:

1. complete reinstall of 1Password
    2. disable/enable Touch ID
    3. adding new finger prints in Mac's system pref's

Nothing solves the problem. Unlocking with Apple Watch is still working.

• Falex
    Falex
    Community Member

Got the same problem, sent the diagnostics report, support ticket ID is XIT-95167-639.

• scamden
    scamden
    Community Member
    edited August 1

I had this issue with my Mac after I added a 2nd finger to Touch ID. Removing it restored expected behavior with Touch ID.

This this this. Thank you. This solved for me too.

Sounds like a bug 1pass! If I remove the second fingerprint everything immediately starts working. I like having more than one fingerprint. Are you all aware of this issue?

Update: Oh shoot. I made the mistake of removing the working fingerprint in hopes that I could use my preferred finger, but it turns out this bug isn't about having two fingerprints but really that only the first was working for some legacy reason and all new ones don't work...

• 1Pemikaadeo
    1Pemikaadeo
    Community Member
    edited August 1

After gather some info from 1Password team and this forum I think there are two solutions for this issue. Tested and works for me.

1. Downgrade 1Password to version 8.10.34
      With this version Touch ID works with all configured fingerprints on macOS.

2. Remove second, third etc. fingerprint and leave only first fingerprint.
      Then upgrade 1Password to 8.10.36 (if you're on 8.10.34 or earlier)
      Touch ID works.

• BAF
    BAF
    Community Member

I too have the same problem. support ticket ID is BUW-85174-326.

• @dt27 and @1Pemikaadeo

I'm happy that you were able to find a workaround for the issue that you're running into. Our development team is working on a permanent fix that they hope to release as soon as possible.

@Mais and @scamden

There are a few different situations with different causes and workarounds. So that I can identify the specific issue that you're running into, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

@BAF

Thank you for sending in the diagnostics report, I can confirm that it's made it to the right team and that my colleagues will send you a reply via email soon. Please continue the conversation there.

-Dave

ref: BUW-85174-326

• davidwilkinson
    davidwilkinson
    Community Member

+1 this remains an issue as of 1Password for Mac 8.10.36 (81036049) and appears to be related to having multiple Touch ID fingerprints associated with the logged-in user.