Revisiting iCloud vs. 1Password Passkeys in Mac OS Safari

casmithva
casmithva
Community Member
edited September 24 in 1Password in the Browser

This topic originally came up in July, 2024, in this thread, where Mac OS overrides/overrules 1Password's passkey prompt. I noticed this behavior this morning when trying to log into Home Depot. After entering my email address, 1Password popped up, offering to log in with my passkey, but then Mac OS also popped up, asking the same and making 1Password inaccessible. This does not happen on Safari in iOS.

The discussion from July was resolved by installing a pending update. However, I have no pending updates.

System/Safari password and passkey autofill has been turned off. What else can I check?

1Password Version: 8.10.44
Extension Version: 8.10.46.34
OS Version: macOS 14.6.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello, @casmithva. Thank you for writing in.

I'm sorry about the issue you're running into with 1Password. Do you have a multi-factor authentication set up as a passkey on Home Depot's website? Are you experiencing this problem on other websites with a passkey in Safari?

-Evon

ref: dev/core/core#32848

• casmithva
    casmithva
    Community Member

Thanks, Evon, for your reply. I have tried a number of other sites and found that passkey support was generally working fine. It did fail in the exact same manner once with Amazon AWS, but I was never able to repeat it. In that failure scenario, 1Password's passkey dialog popped up first, but then the Mac OS one came up about two seconds later. I have also seen that delay with the Home Depot website as well: the Mac OS dialog pops up somewhere between instantaneously and maybe 3 seconds. The only pattern I found with Home Depot was that the Mac OS dialog did not appear if I typed in my email address, rather than letting 1Password autofill it.

Given all of that, I'm inclined to say that the problem is with Home Depot. Wouldn't be the first time I've said that statement, but that's a story for another time... Maybe there's some sort of race condition or corner case that is provoked when Home Depot, Mac OS, 1Password, and Safari are in close proximity to one another.

Let's just consider this closed/resolved until proven otherwise. Thanks!

Chris

• @casmithva,

I appreciate the additional information. A colleague of mine replicated an issue on the Home Depot website where the 1Password passkey pop-up was overridden by the browser's authentication prompt. I've created an issue for our development team to investigate further if we can resolve this on our end.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

-Evon

• kuchkovsky
    kuchkovsky
    Community Member
    edited September 27

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issue with PayPal:

OS Version: macOS 15.0

• kuchkovsky
    kuchkovsky
    Community Member

Hello, I’m experiencing the same issue with PayPal:

OS Version: macOS 15.0

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

I seem to encounter this issue more often than not. Passkeys are great in theory. But in practice they are but a novelty and not a going forward solution until Apple and 1PW figure out how to play nicely in the sandbox together. Until I'm able to turn off the Apple prompts for passkeys entirely then using 1PW for it will continue to be problematic.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 9

@kuchkovsky and @OAW

I'm sorry that you're both seeing a passkey prompt from macOS. Make sure that you have the built-in password manager turned off:

1. Click on the Apple icon  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings.
    3. Click General, and then AutoFill & Passwords.
    4. Turn off "AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys".

Then check to make sure that 1Password is set as the default:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Make sure that "Make 1Password the default password manager in this browser" is turned on.

Let me know if you still see the issue after going through these steps. If you do then, specifically on PayPal, do you need to wait for the macOS prompt to appear? Or does it appear immediately?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#31888

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited October 10

@Dave_1P All of those settings are already set. But the Apple passkeys prompt still inserts itself into the mix more often than not. Case in point ...

• @OAW

Thank you for the example. I've done some testing and I can reproduce the issue intermittently if I leave 1Password's "Sign in with a passkey" prompt open without clicking Sign In for some time. This definitely isn't right and I'll file an issue with our development team.

If you immediately click Sign In then can you sign in with the passkey? Or does the macOS prompt appear immediately?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#31888

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited October 11

@Dave_1P

For me the macOS prompt appears about a second or two later. Fast enough that by the time I move my cursor up to click Sign In on the 1PW prompt I can't because the macOS prompt is a system modal dialog. And to be clear I don't even think this is a 1PW issue. As you can see by my settings I have the Autofill Passwords and Passkeys setting turned OFF in macOS. But the prompt appears and gets in the way nonetheless. So perhaps you guys can impress upon Apple to get it together in this regard? Such feedback from us lowly beta testers seems to end up in a black hole somewhere.

• @OAW

Thanks for the reply. An internal work item is open for our development team to look into this further, raising an issue with Apple if necessary. If you could send in a diagnostics report the next time that you reproduce the issue then I can add that to the work item to help move the investigation forward:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (browser extension)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/719484/#Comment_719484
    • Your forum username: OAW

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

-Dave

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

Support ID #: YDP-97215-555

• @OAW

Thank you for the Support ID. One of my colleagues will review the diagnostics report and get back to you via email as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: YDP-97215-555