Multitasking on iPad, when will I be able to unlock 1Password only once?

richsadams
richsadams
Community Member
Open 1Password Once
I did a little search but couldn't find an answer to my question...if there even is an answer yet. I love 1Password and use it on all of our Macs (family license) as well as my iPad (Pro). The most frustrating part of using it with my iPad is having to repeatedly log into 1Password every time I close the app. I understand that this is probably a multi-tasking issue as the iPad doesn't have that ability yet, but even when using the helpful Safari Bookmarklet it's really a pain.

Has anyone found a work around for this? I can't imagine there is one...at least yet.

For the 1Password folks, I sincerely hope that when the multitasking update does come to the iPad that we'll be able to log in once and keep it open for as long as we want (or until we shut down) like it works with our Macs.

Don't get me wrong, it's a terrific program and I'm really happy it syncs with DropBox and all, but I just hate having to log in dozens of times when using my iPad.

TIA!

Comments

• richsadams wrote:

I did a little search but couldn't find an answer to my question...if there even is an answer yet. I love 1Password and use it on all of our Macs (family license) as well as my iPad (Pro). The most frustrating part of using it with my iPad is having to repeatedly log into 1Password every time I close the app. I understand that this is probably a multi-tasking issue as the iPad doesn't have that ability yet, but even when using the helpful Safari Bookmarklet it's really a pain.

Has anyone found a work around for this? I can't imagine there is one...at least yet.

For the 1Password folks, I sincerely hope that when the multitasking update does come to the iPad that we'll be able to log in once and keep it open for as long as we want (or until we shut down) like it works with our Macs.

Don't get me wrong, it's a terrific program and I'm really happy it syncs with DropBox and all, but I just hate having to log in dozens of times when using my iPad.

TIA!

On your iPad (iOS4) launch 1Password>More>Settings>Security. From there you can choose your preferences for Auto-Lock under Unlock and Master Password. I keep a conservative 1 minute with gives adequate time for multitasking, yet gives the level of security I want.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    rsilber wrote:

On your iPad (iOS4) launch 1Password>More>Settings>Security. From there you can choose your preferences for Auto-Lock under Unlock and Master Password. I keep a conservative 1 minute with gives adequate time for multitasking, yet gives the level of security I want.

Thanks for that, but the iPad runs on iOS 3 which doesn't allow multitasking which means that you can only have one program open at a time. Even if I set 1Password's Auto-Lock to "Never" it still closes (and requires entering the master password to reopen it) as soon as I exit the program...which is any time I have to open another program like Safari. It sounds like when the iPad gets iOS 4 (this fall?) that multitasking will take care of things. Thanks again for the prompt answer though.
  • richsadams wrote:

Thanks for that, but the iPad runs on iOS 3 which doesn't allow multitasking which means that you can only have one program open at a time. Even if I set 1Password's Auto-Lock to "Never" it still closes (and requires entering the master password to reopen it) as soon as I exit the program...which is any time I have to open another program like Safari. It sounds like when the iPad gets iOS 4 (this fall?) that multitasking will take care of things. Thanks again for the prompt answer though.

Wow, sorry about that! Not having an iPad, I forgot it was iOS3. When my iPhone was that version, I had the same experience and found it to be clumsy. I'm not sure there is a work around until you are able to upgrade to iOS4. You'll enjoy that :)
  • Rich,

This will be possible when iOS 4 and multitasking support is available for iPad.
    After using on my iPhone, I can't wait for the iOS 4 for iPad!
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    It occurs to me now that even having the option to set the Auto-lock feature means that the iPad would have to multitask for it to work. That means the developers are thinking ahead which is a good thing. Once that happens it will make it much easier to use for sure. C'mon update!! Thanks guys!
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    richsadams wrote:

It occurs to me now that even having the option to set the Auto-lock feature means that the iPad would have to multitask for it to work. That means the developers are thinking ahead which is a good thing. Once that happens it will make it much easier to use for sure. C'mon update!! Thanks guys!

Hi, yes, having the new feature on the iPad will be great! I don't usually wish time away, but I am anxiously awaiting fall, not only for sub-100ºF weather, but for iOS 4 and multi-tasking on the iPad :) Hang in there, hopefully it won't be too much longer!
This discussion has been closed.