What does the "+" button do in the extension?

Options
fool4
fool4
Community Member
edited September 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Pressing it does not seem to do anything, and I can't figure out what it is. I gathered from reading another post that it is a manual way to add a login item. Okay, but how exactly? Pressing the button provides no feed back at all, other than seeming like it got depressed and released. Basic software principle - if a button doesn't do what it is supposed to, let the user know.

I am in the process of testing and using 1Password. I would like to update all my currently weak and reused passwords across numerous sites. This means I need a reliable, foolproof and easy way to visit these sites, update my password with one generated by 1Password and have it updated into the account. I can't quite figure out the best way to to this.

While you support is clearly fantastic, I am beginning to have serious doubts about the competency of your software.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The + button records the data that you have filled into the web page. If you haven't filled in the form then there is nothing to record. Please be sure to fill in the form so that 1Password can record the data in a Login item for "playback" later. :)

1. Visit the site's login page.
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

Of course, you can also just let 1Password prompt you to save a Login item when you log into a site. Then you just have to click the "Save" button.

Instructions for changing passwords are in the User Guide. Please be sure to review them and follow the steps for the best results:

Changing a Login’s Password

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• fool4
    fool4
    Community Member
    edited September 2013
    Options

And with a generated password, causes you to have lost your password completely. Have to resort to getting the site to reset it for you. Ugly. Ridiculous.

Steps:

1. Create a login for any site.
    2. Change you password on the site, using a generated password and fill.
    3. Get the prompt to save as a new login (wish it would detect that it is an existing one on its own)
    4. Click on the Gear icon on the right - this causes a mini bug - the extension panel (which is at the right edge of the window) goes blank, and the panel showing the options appears all the way on the left edge of the window).
    5. Select update existing account.
      You get no feedback at all. Can't tell if something went wrong or succeeded. Turns out it didn't.
      Now your site has been updated with a password that you no longer have.

Firefox 23.0.1 on Win 7 Pro x64. 1Password extension 3.9.19. Also tried the beta extension.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fool4, I merged your post with one of your many already existing threads. Please be sure to read the link I posted above and follow the instructions in the User Guide for changing a site's password.

• fool4
    fool4
    Community Member
    Options

Merging is the wrong thing to do, unless the topics are related. Keeping separate subjects in separate threads is useful for others that encounter the same issue, but are not interested in anything else. In this case, my post was recording a bug, and you have merged it away. Now I have done this myself in my old software dev days ;).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the forum moderation tip! I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Please do let me know if you're still having trouble after following the steps in the User Guide to change a Login's password.

The bug you reported is a known issue in Firefox. I believe it is resolved in the beta/Aurora channels if you want to give it a try. :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

with a generated password, causes you to have lost your password completely. Have to resort to getting the site to reset it for you. Ugly. Ridiculous.

Every password that 1Password generates is stored in a category named "Generated Passwords". Whatever happens, you can always retrieve your generated passwords (whether you decided to auto-save a new Login or not)

Now your site has been updated with a password that you no longer have.

Please launch the 1Password app, then do this:

1. Click on "View"
    2. Click on "Generated Passwords"
This discussion has been closed.