1Password 4 Chrome extension fails to install

Options
2»

Comments

• abz
    abz
    Community Member
    Options

I can't seem to get an answer from anyone or anywhere how to fix this. How do I install the Chrome extension???

• abz
    abz
    Community Member
    Options

Attempting manual installation of 1Password-4.0.1.1.crx yields error: Package is invalid. Details: "invalid value for 'page_action.default_icon'.'.

This is really beginning to stink.

• abz
    abz
    Community Member
    Options

Similar error occurs when trying to install 1Password-4.0.0.22.crx.

• Ian Michael Hamilton
    Options

Same Problem in Chrome. I can't get the 1 password extension for Chrome to install with any of the above mentioned methods. Standard, Beta, Manual download from Chrome Store - all yield error messages of one sort or another. I tried putting back the 1 Password 3 extension from a backup disk into the Chrome Extensions folder and that didn't work either. Chrome just blows it off when it is relaunched. I did not uninstall 1 Pasword 3 from my system, so at least I can use it in Firefox and Safari as a temporary fix. However, Chrome is my main browser.
    Also - the Mini App doesn't work at all. In any browser. It just makes the browser open a new blank login window.
    This sucks. AgileBits, you need to fix this quickly - your program is essentially non-functional for many people. And I had to pay for the update!

• goehring9
    goehring9
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, extension will not install in Chrome - it downloads, starts to install, and nothing happens

• rbennion
    rbennion
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I had the same problem. What solved the issue for me was updating Chrome to 30.0.1599.69. Was on version 28.X. Mac OS X.

• Ian Michael Hamilton
    Options

Correct. Chrome is supposed to automatically update itself, but it doesn't. Check your version under Chrome>About Google Chrome and if it isn't Version 30.0.1599.69 for Mac, download Chrome from Google and install it. This fixed my problem. Sorry for my attitude yesterday. Never attempt to do a critical update like this until your morning coffee kicks in. :-)

• goehring9
    goehring9
    Community Member
    Options

I'm already on that version of Chrome, still no luck ... kind of hoping Agile will address and fix the issue and am using firefox in the meantime

• goehring9
    goehring9
    Community Member
    Options

Success- after clearing all browser activity in Chrome, I still could not install from the site - but it worked using the Chrome store download of the extension - at last.

• orchardwhite
    orchardwhite
    Community Member
    Options

I'm currently using 1Password 4.0.2 and Chrome 30.0.1599.69, both of which are the current versions. I had a heck of a time getting this to install as well, but after several different methods, I was able to find one that worked. I put together a video here that shows you what didn't and did work for me: http://screencast.com/t/OZJ0gRrS

The link that worked for me is here: https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/chrome?beta=true

Hopefully that's helpful to someone.

• cbeuershausen
    cbeuershausen
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't have any problem installing the plugin but it doesn't do a damned thing. I have to use Safari if I want 1P to actually work. I fired off an email but didn't get any response.

• Travis Brown
    Travis Brown
    Community Member
    Options

I had this exact problem, and was scratching my head for a while. The solution was pretty odd, so I thought I would share. I can't guarantee this is what is happenning, but in my case, I had previously changed my Downloads folder to an external hard drive, that was not mounted. So the actual failure was that the extension could not download. For whatever reason, Chrome throws the download error as "Download interrupted" so AgileBits script doesn't know how to handle that, and just throws a generic error. I really think the error should be something more like "Extension failed to download, please check download path and network connection." A failure to download is more information than "failed to install".

• Hi guys,

We've already got tens of thousands folks installing the Chrome extension without any issues, the errors you are getting are most likely a configuration issue within Chrome and this has been the case so far for all folks who reported this.

Here's what to try:

1. Try going straight to the Chrome Web Store to find 1Password or click this link to open 1Password in Chrome Web Store.
    2. Confirm that your copy of Chrome is the latest version, you can replace your copy of Chrome.app with a new copy from http://google.com/chrome
    3. If Chrome Web Store doesn't work, try installing our beta version of 1Password extension that is not from Chrome Web Store. Follow the instructions on that install page about dragging the .crx file into the extensions page of Chrome to install it. Don't drag it into the Chrome app (or onto Chrome on Dock) randomly or the address bar, that'll just download the same file again.
    4. If the download don't work, try downloading the crx in the other browsers and drag it in Chrome's extension page.
    5. Make sure your Downloads folder is fully accessible for Chrome. (Thanks, Travis!)

For whatever reason, Chrome throws the download error as "Download interrupted" so AgileBits script doesn't know how to handle that, and just throws a generic error.

It's not us, it's Chrome who throws that error. We can't change the error message at all.

• jferst
    jferst
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the same error when I try to add the extension:

The page at https://agilebits.com says:
    There was an error installing the Chrome extension. Please try again.

• jferst
    jferst
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like updating chrome did the trick.

• Hi @jferst,

That's great, thanks for letting us know what worked.

• GeneBreshears
    GeneBreshears
    Community Member
    Options

Count me among the people who have tried everything on this forum and cannot get 1Password 4 plugin to install on Chrome. I have the latest version, I used the alternate link to download, I try dragging the 1Password-4.0.1.1.crx to the extensions list. Nothing happens. ChromeStore keeps installing 1Password3 which shows a red exclamation mark and when I type in my password does nothing.

1Password for Safari works just fine...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GeneBreshears,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting the 1Password Chrome extension installed. Have you tried downloading the beta extension?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just wanted to follow up on this thread with a helpful page we just posted to the User Guide. Anyone is still having trouble (or comes across this via a Google search) please be sure to carefully follow the steps here:

Trouble installing the Chrome extension

Note that the last section there includes instructions for emailing us a Diagnostics Report if the other steps don't resolve things for you. So far, we haven't seen any issue that's not included there, and if something else comes up we'll add it to the guide.

I'm going to close this thread for now to avoid any future confusion with possibly unrelated issues.

Again, if the guide doesn't help, please follow the steps at the end of it to email us a Diagnostics Report so we can better assist you. We're always here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.