Convert from MAS to direct version?

Options
2»

Comments

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@tighttower what is the mechanism behind auto-back-up. Is it every hour, day ? It doesn't seem to work in 4.0.2 web store version (restarted 1Password mini)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, @mgshoutman.

Right now we're generally suggesting not to delete any 1Password data after switching from the MAS to web store version of 1P4 (or vice versa). There might be cases when it's actually still in use or reasons for reusing it. However, deleting just the application is sensible if you won't be using it and don't want to accidentally run it.

That said, I see no problem with anything @thightower suggested, especially with emphasis on retaining backups, if that's what you'd like to do.

About 1P4 backups, they occur approximately daily but only if 1P mini (helper) is running and there have been changes since the previous backup. If no changes are made (or 1P mini isn't running) the backup is skipped. just like with 1P3.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk let's assume I bought 1Password 4 web store for the first time without buying any previous version and I use Dropbox sync only. In that case I would not have any Agilebits folders residing in ~Library/Containers withers. So that makes me think I can really delete them.... :)

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk. sorry to ask but with 4.0.2 (web store version) auto-backups seem not working. I make changes and 1Password mini is running. (also restarted 1Password as advised). I suppose the backup is triggered by 1Password mini when the mac is on, so at what interval is the backup occurring. Like 5 minutes after booting ?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, @mgshoutman.

First-time users who've purchased 1P4 for Mac from Agile Online Store won't have any 1Password data stored in ~/Library/Containers.

From the Why does my 1Password Backup keep failing? FAQ:

In certain cases the 1Password Backup will not work correctly until 1Password mini has been restarted.

Please follow these directions to restart 1Password mini.

I don't have a specific answer yet for how long your Mac needs to stay awake before running a 1P4 backup that's (over)due. I'll let you know when I do.
    [Edit: See followup here]

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk said:

Certainly! Right now everyone who's ever purchased any MAS version of 1Password is currently eligible for a free license for the 1P4 for Mac website version. It'll run in fully functional trial mode, unlicensed, for 30 days. .... We appreciate your patience if you don't receive your free license immediately.

That's great that we're getting the choice and I understand this is low priority, but I e-mailed that info 26 days ago and have yet to receive the license for the webstore version. The 30 days is almost gone!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've taken care of it for you, @big77. Please check your email. :)

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    Options

I've taken care of it for you, @big77. Please check your email.

Thanks very much. Minor issue remains with that, I replied to support email with details.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And I've replied to your email reply, @big77. :)

• AkiraWrath
    AkiraWrath
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi,

I purchased a new MacBook and i know 1Password from a friend.
    Its a gem off an App and helps me a lot in enhancing my Internet Browsing experience!
    Thanks

But i already purchased the version in Mac Appstore, i didn’t know Agilebits provides a more updated version directly on the Homepage.
    I uninstalled my MAS version and downloaded the version from the HP...i still have my iCloud sync feature available, really great !

Is it Possible for Agilebits to send me a license file for 1Password 4? cause i already paid for the MAS Version.
    I think its a good question if its possible. I also sended my Request via email.

Thanks for helping.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@AkiraWrath AgileBits will provide you with a license file. Just email them your MAS receipt. See this post by @sjk for details. Remember that you've got an unrestricted 30 day trial in the meantime.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @AkiraWrath. I've merged your topic into the related one that @JasperP referred to with my post (#2). I hope that's helpful. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I uninstalled my MAS version and downloaded the version from the HP...i still have my iCloud sync feature available, really great !

Agilebits staff say that if you want to use iCloud sync you should stick with the MAS version. iCloud sync does indeed work with the Agilestore version at the moment but they say it is not supported officially and they don't know how long it will work for.

Here is one quote by Mike Tselikman:

At the moment, the beta/website version can work with iCloud unofficially. It's all up to Apple to let us know if we can do it officially or not and we've requested for the official clarification on this from them a while ago, no news yet.

They're very vague about their restrictions with iCloud sync and the Mac App Store. Right now, only the Mac App Store apps can use the iCloud sync officially and that's all we can say.
    If you need iCloud sync, you should grab the Mac App Store version instead.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a comment by another developer saying that AgileBits is clearly operating within the rules by using the iCloud credentials of the Mac App Store version of 1Password 4 to give the web store version access to iCloud.

Time will tell, I suppose.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I have the same issue. I sent the App Store receipt to you on 12 Oct, got an automated acknowledgement, but nothing further.

I/m not sure, though, if the email address in my Apple ID is the same as the one I used when signing on the forum or not. Also, in addition to the App Store version, I originally purchased 1PW from you ages ago, and I'm not sure which address I used in that purchase. I did give you both my email addresses when I sent you the receipt.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @danco. Please check your Messages Inbox for followup about your email and 1P4 license.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a comment by another developer saying that AgileBits is clearly operating within the rules by using the iCloud credentials of the Mac App Store version of 1Password 4 to give the web store version access to iCloud.

Time will tell, I suppose.

So it sounds as if Agilebits are being (over?) cautious in saying if you want iCloud, use the MAS version. I am now thinking I will switch to Agilestore version and use iCloud. If iCloud falls over with the store version I can switch back to MAS.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@mikebore—

So it sounds as if Agilebits are being (over?) cautious in saying if you want iCloud, use the MAS version.

There seems to be agreement (and evidence) that a developer can give the web store version of an app the same iCloud entitlements as the MAS version. However, Apple’s docs do not explicitly say that the developer may do so.

Perhaps Apple intends that access to iCloud storage from downloadable apps be available only for testing purposes (the downloadable version of 1Password is the one being used in the beta program). But if that were Apple’s intention, wouldn’t it say so expressly?

I agree with AgileBits that the situation is unclear, so I would say that AgileBits is being appropriately cautious.

I am now thinking I will switch to Agilestore version and use iCloud. If iCloud falls over with the store version I can switch back to MAS.

Personally, I think that choosing to use the web store version of 1Password 4 to sync via iCloud is something like choosing to be a beta tester. You have to be aware that sync could break at any time, without advance notice, and that things might not fail gracefully. However, what I imagine would happen (and obviously I am making this up) would be something less disruptive—Apple would require AgileBits to remove from its website all downloadable versions of 1Password 4 that contain iCloud credentials.

• mh153
    mh153
    Community Member
    Options

I wrote an E-Mail some days ago but no answer yet. When will I get my license for the Web-Store? Is the Web-Store-Version able to sync with iCloud?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits is swamped with work following the release of 1P4—but bear in mind you can use the web store version for 30 days while you wait for your licence. The web site versions supports iCloud sync unofficially.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mh153.

I see Rob took care of your 1Password 4 license, resolving that issue. If there's anything else we can help you with please let us know.

• Kent Pavelka
    Kent Pavelka
    Community Member
    Options

What in the heck does MAS stand for?

• @kentp Mac App Store :D

This discussion has been closed.