Web form filling is very poor

Options
Ben_UK
Ben_UK
Community Member

Is anyone else having problems with saving and filling in web forms with 1Password 4?

There are several sites that I want 1Password to fill in things like addresses, or other info (not IDs/passwords). For example, an airline site where I want it to fill all my passport, date of birth and other info when I check-in.

I can't find any obvious way to save the data for web forms apart from ticking the "Save Login" menu entry, which is mentioned somewhere in the discussion forum or knowledge base. But when I tried clicking on the "Save Login" option, it didn't seem to save anything after submitting the form.

Also, on some sites where I want to fill in credit card details, 1Password messes up things like putting the wrong info in the start date/end date fields (such as when my card doesn't have a start date), or it can't handle drop down lists for month/year expiry dates or other info such as countries (this is very frequently used on sites). Also it messed up entering a 2-digit year field on a form because it stores a 4-digit year for expiry dates (just entered "20" for the year on one credit card form).

I've previously been using Lastpass, where the form filling has been quite accurate and smart.
Another password manager called Dashlane is emphasising their web form filling technology, so I'm wondering if 1Password is actually a good choice in this area.

There seems limited documentation on how to use 1Password for web form filling, though it is presented as a key feature in the sales section.

I thought I'd start a thread here to see if anyone else is having similar problems, or if it's just my setup that is at fault. I mainly use Firefox, though have sometimes used Safari to compare, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

My experience with form-filling is similar to yours. I have reported a couple of times that 1P4 tends to fill in the username field (often an email address) for all items on a page. In one case, there are over 20 items and all end up being filled with my email address. This really screws up the browsers form filling features, as the incorrect data gets stored in its cache of form data.

• Meek
    Options

Hey @Ben_UK and MrC,

I'm so sorry to hear that the 1Password form filling isn't working well for you. We are continually working on improving the extension filling based on the reports that we are receiving from customers. Would you mind listing a few of the URLs that are giving you trouble so that we can run some tests?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

One was an upgrade for for Parallels:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/15400/problems-w-identity-filling

I can't recall all the sites for the others I tried (to fill w/Credit Card or Identity info). I can't get anything but the first entry box in Name to fill for my profile on Yahoo (and my full name gets filled into to Title box instead of the First and Last boxes).

Here's a related thread:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16096/problem-auto-fill-form-us-levi-com

• Ben_UK
    Ben_UK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.
    Here are two examples. I will add more as I come across them:

1. Signing up to Feedly Pro, when the card details are filled in, the "Card Start Month" is filled in with the "Card Expiry Month", and the "Card Expiry Year" is filled in as "20". My card details stored in 1Password doesn't have a start date filled in, only the expiry date.

2. I also have problems with completing the check-in form on Cathay Pacific Website. This includes a variety of fill-in form boxes and drop-down lists to complete.

• Thanks for the extra details guys. We have some goodies in the oven that I hope to be able to share in the coming months. Having a few extra test sites to add to our test suite will help :)

• Justin Mullis
    Justin Mullis
    Community Member
    Options

You guys should setup something within the plugins where we can submit sites that do not work. This page really throws 1Password for a loop

https://www.tirerewardcenter.com/bfgoodrich/Step1.aspx

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to pass that along to our developers. And I'll add the website you mention to our list of misbehaving forms. ;)

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem with sites that don't just ask for a username and a password. I was signing in to the AA Rewards webpage at https://www.theaa.com/aarewards/entry.do which just requires a membership number and my postcode. 1Password 4 won't set up a login automatically and when I set up one manually it just enters my membership number in both fields.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @robbiees.

I was able to create a working test Login item for https://www.theaa.com/aarewards/entry.do using these instructions:

Saving a new Login manually

The item details for it look like this:

Can you please try similarly creating a new Login item for that site and let me know if that works for you? Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.