Sync using Box instead of DropBox

I use 1Password everywhere. Love it! At home, on my Mac (different accounts sharing the same DropBox). On my iPad, iPhone and at work on Windows. The problem is, we were recently told that DropBox is not secure enough and we need to all move to Box. I don't use DropBox for any work related docs, but I'm afraid the powers that be may remove it if they find it on my machine. I've been warned.

I guess I could sync differently on my work computer, if that is possible (thumb drive)? I also have a work lap top, so I would need to do that in two places. I can live with a little outdated data at work, as long as I sync once in a while.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hi, @ajahn.

I don't know of any plan to add a Box-sync option to 1Password for Windows.

Here’s some related information from the developers, which I hope you find useful or at least interesting:

• To sync your 1Password data between Windows and iOS, Dropbox is currently the only option.

• To sync your 1Password data between Windows and Mac OS, we support any virtual-drive-based cloud service, including SkyDrive.

• To sync your 1Password data between Mac OS and iOS, we also support iCloud or (cloud-less) Wi-Fi sync.

Note: We're considering adding an Wi-Fi sync option to some future release of 1Password for Windows.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the link, Charles.

For the record, we've tested 1Password for Windows, Mac, and iOS extensively with Dropbox. We know it's rock-solid.

• Freyart
    Freyart
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Dropbox may be "rock solid" but a great many companies these days block Dropbox from being accessed through their systems because of its risks/vulnerabilities. If I/we can't access Dropbox when connected to these companies systems then we can't access/update our sync files. That's a problem.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I can see how it could be a problem, @Freyart, and we've added another sync option to 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Any plans to support GoogleDrive and SkyDrive?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Not at this time.

The sync option added to 1Password 4 for Windows is a manual sync over a temporary wi-fi connection with the 1Password app on a mobile device, such as an iPhone.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I have to ask, why not? It seems that most decent cloud enabled apps support Dropbox, GoogleDrive and Skydrive. Is it a technical limitation or something else?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

I don't know the reason. It may be as simple as "it just hasn't made the cut for the to-do list," or there may be a technical reason, as is the case with iCloud.

• giessenborch
    giessenborch
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Box-sync option is needed here also. Reason: Dropbox is not regarded to be secure enough! Please consider adding Box as an alternative for Dropbox in order to alow syncing between IOS, Windows and OSX devices. A manual sync over a temp WiFi connection is not THE solution for this!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Manual sync over temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on a mobile device is the only sync option currently planned for inclusion in the initial release of 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Here's a great overview of sync options:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/19285/sync-options

If you would like to sync using Google Drive or SkyDrive (now OneDrive), then you can do this on Windows and Mac using so-called "folder sync" on your Mac.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Please note that testing is performed only on Dropbox sync'ing (and, in 1Password 4 for Windows, manual sync'ing over a temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on a mobile device).

• albioner
    albioner
    Community Member

Just FYI: I tried moving my 1Password file to a Box account, but was presented with error messages.

From Box support page:

"Package files — Save as a flat file or a compressed ZIP file and reload

Many files on the Mac are stored as packages, which is a folder that OS X is able to interpret as a file. This includes many iWork files, Omnigraffle files, Mac, Apps, NIBs, and more. Box Sync will not upload these files to your account."

So it seems there are also restrictions on Box.net's part.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @albioner.

It's too bad, because Windows easily sees the .agilekeychain folder as...well, a folder. This is definitely another point in favor of Dropbox.

This discussion has been closed.