No logins saved for this site -- not true

I am using 1Password 1.0.9.338 for Windows on Win7 Professional 64-bit. On many sites, when I try to log in I'm told "No logins saved for this site," but there ARE. When I search for the site in 1PW, I find it, and it's the same address as the one on the login page. But if I click on it, I get a different error message that says "The address is not valid. The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded." First of all, the URL is valid, and second of all, I simply want 1PW to fill in my username and password, not load the site. One example of a site where I've had this problem is the SoftMaker forums site, whose address is
http://www.softmaker.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=login . I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• ovejanegra
    ovejanegra
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

I just realized that I didn't say what browser I'm using. It's Firefox 24.0. I looked for a way to edit my original post above, but I couldn't find one. (Never mind the business about editing a post. I see how to do it now. But my main issue remains.)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry you're having that problem, @ovejanegra. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions to help us:

1. Are you searching for and finding the saved Login item in the browser extension or in the main 1Password program?

2. If you're using the 1Password extension in your browser:

a. What version of which browser are you using?

b. What happens if you try opening the site from within the main 1Password program?

With a bit more information, I hope we can figure out what's going on and get things working for you.

Thanks for your assistance!

• ovejanegra
    ovejanegra
    Community Member

Thanks very much for your prompt response. To answer your questions,
    1) I was searching for and finding the saved login in the browser extension.
    2a) I'm using Firefox 24.0
    2b) If I try opening the site from within the main 1Password program, I get a popup message saying "It is recommended to create new Logins using 1Password browser extensions." I'm not sure, though, whether I've tried opening the site correctly using the main program's interface. I first searched for "softmaker" and 1PW came up with my two logins, one for the forum and one for the store. I clicked on the one for the forum, but that didn't have the desired effect, so I highlighted the login and then clicked on Login in the list of possibilities across the top of the interface. That's when the "It is recommended..." message popped up. I made a screenshot, but I can't find a way to upload it with my message, and I haven't put it up on Photobucket, but I could if the info I've provided here is not adequate.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up.

In 1Password, double-clicking a Login item either opens the corresponding URL in your browser or opens the Login item for editing. (You control the behavior using the Double-Click setting on the General tab of 1Password preferences.)

If yours is set to edit the item, you can just click on the URL in the details area when the item is selected.

(Note that clicking on the Login+ tool in 1Password is the way to create a new Login item, which is why you see the "It is recommended..." message.)

Before you do that, though, would you consider updating Firefox to the latest non-beta version (25.x), re-installing the 1Password extension for Firefox, and trying again?

• ovejanegra
    ovejanegra
    Community Member

Thanks for your very helpful reply. I think I've now figured out where the problem lies. When I imported my password data from a different program, some of it seems to have been imported correctly, but a number of entries--perhaps most--have nothing in the Location line and have the URL in the line above that, which says Title. I wasn't aware that there was a fields mismatch, but that seems
    often to have been the case. I've found that if I move the URL to the Location box and put a title in the Title box, I can then use the Firefox add-on successfully. So it looks as if I may not have to "upgrade" to version 25 of Firefox, about which there have been a number of disgruntled reports. Is there any other reason I need to move to FF 25?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's great news!

We always advocate using the latest stable release of the browsers, as that's where our limited resources are focused on testing. It's your decision, of course.

• ovejanegra
    ovejanegra
    Community Member

OK. I've now moved to Firefox 25. Thanks again for your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Our pleasure. Thanks for using 1Password!

• jbolduc
    jbolduc
    Community Member

I have the same issue. It seems to be related, in my case, to the fact that I am using multiple instances (2 Laptops, Ipad, Iphone + Laptop at work.) The first time I go on a site, it is ok, 1Pass will ask to save. BUT...if I go on that same site but from a different instance...it asks again for the same information. It is getting a bit annoying.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

The first time I go on a site, it is ok, 1Pass will ask to save. BUT...if I go on that same site but from a different instance...it asks again for the same information. It is getting a bit annoying.

Are you using 1Password to fill the form? If not, then you might want to consider doing this, or to unlock 1Password. This should prevent the 1Password auto-save prompt from appearing (if a login item already exist).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Also:

• Are you sync'ing your 1Password data among all those devices?

• Are you sure it's not the browser offering to save a password for you?

Please let us know what you find out, @jbolduc!

This discussion has been closed.