Using 1Password on multiple operating systems without dropbox

rpgraves
rpgraves
Community Member
edited November 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

My company has recently gone to lock-down desktops and I cannot use dropbox. 1Password syncing with Dropbox works great for my Mac and iOS devices, but I now need a different solution to keep my Windows PC in sync. Can I just backup from 1Password4 for Mac and use the file to restore on my Windows computer? If yes, what file do I need to copy to my Windows PC to make this work? Other suggestions appreciated as well.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @rpgraves. I'm sorry to hear Dropbox has been forbidden. I'll never understand why employers do this, but we do hear of it occasionally. Here's the current "best practice" on working within this new paradigm:

1. On the Sync tab of 1Password preferences on your Mac, click the Change Sync'ing button, and switch your sync option to File.

2. Note the location of the sync file, so you can find it easily.

3. Copy the .agilekeychain package that's created to a portable storage device, and move that device to your PC.

4. On the General tab of 1Password preferences on your PC, note the location of your current 1Password data folder.

5. Quit 1Password, and move that 1Password data folder (typically named 1Password.agilekeychain) to your Desktop.

6. Copy the .agilekeychain file from the portable storage device to the location you noted on the General tab on your PC.

7. Relaunch 1Password for Windows, and unlock your 1Password data using the master password that you used on your Mac.

8. On the Sync tab of 1Password preferences for your Mac, click the Change Sync'ing button again, and switch your sync option back to Dropbox (so your Mac and iOS devices can return to their normal level of cooperation).

A few important things to remember:

• Make sure you move the entire .agilekeychain folder (it's a package in Mac OS, but a regular folder in Windows), not just its contents.

• Don't copy one .agilekeychain folder into another. The "merged" contents will not function properly as a 1Password data folder.

• Make sure you use the .agilekeychain extension when you name the sync-to-file package on your Mac; otherwise, 1Password for Windows will not recognize it as a valid data folder.

I hope that helps, @rpgraves. Please let us know how it goes.

• rpgraves
    rpgraves
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed response!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Glad to help! Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.