I upgraded to Password 4 and none of my dozens of logins showed up in 1 Password on my mac.

Options
twanak
twanak
Community Member

I upgraded to Password 4 and none of my dozens of logins or secure info showed up. I read the FAQs about this item and none of them seemed to apply to me. So, I am stumped. I am using a MacbookPro with DropBox to sync with the 1 Password Apps that are on my iPhone 4s and iPad2. My 1 Password login data is accessible from those two devices, thankfully, but not from my MacbookPro. Please help, I'm not that computer savvy and these changes always seem to be a challenge for me.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@twanak First, can you confirm that you have followed the Existing Users section of this support article:

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

And if 1Password didn't automatically detect your keychain from Dropbox, have you followed this as well:

Helping 1Password find existing data in Dropbox

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member
    Options

I followed instructions for Existing Users, but it prompted me to select a file from several places, including Dropbox. I selected 1Password.agilekeychain in the DropBox. After that, I signed into my vault and found that none of my data was there.

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP, it also asked if I wanted to install the extension, I chose to install it, but things didn't go right there. So, one thing at a time. Got to leave for a while.

• @twanak Be sure you're running the latest version of 1Password - that would currently be 4.0.8 if you're using the Mac App Store or 4.0.9 if you're using the AgileBits website version.

Next, simply try disabling Dropbox sync, and then re-enabling it (under Preferences > Sync).

Also, are you storing your keychain in the default location? ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP: I checked the version, it is 4.0.8. I did upgrade from the Mac App Store. Then I went into Preferences and looked for Syncing. It gave me three choices: iCloud, DropBox, and Folders, but all three choices were grayed out and wouldn't let me select any of them.

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP: I just re-read a comment of yours above and went to the link Helping 1Password find data in DropBox. I thought that I understood it, but please, if you would be so kind, explain what a primary volume and sandbox is in this comment. I don't know what it means: "Important Note for Mac App Store Customer When using a custom Dropbox folder location be sure it is located on your primary volume. This is needed by The Mac App Store version of 1Password because it is sandboxed and storing your Dropbox folder on a separate or remote volume can prevent 1Password from reading it’s contents."

• @twanak Maybe try starting over. Follow the linked instructions, and before you start setup again please ensure that your 1Password.agilekeychain is located at: ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Sandboxing is a requirement for Mac App Store apps, where each app is only allowed to 'play' in their own sandbox unless invited into another app's sandbox. So this prevents 1Password from finding your keychain anywhere on your Mac, that's why it is best to use the default location I mentioned above.

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP Thanks for the advice, I solved the problem by going into DropBox, adding a new empty folder called "1Password" and then moved the keychain into the folder. Instant success!

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@twanak Great! As I mentioned above, it's sandboxing that may prevent 1Password from finding your keychain elsewhere. Glad it was an easy fix for you. :D

This discussion has been closed.