Cost for two or more versions

Why is it so expensive?
Newbie here. Just sampling your demos and looking over what you can provide, which is impressive. However as a SplashId user I guess I am spoiled by the single fee for multiple platform app. I think that it's real expensive to password protect a common database among two computers and an iPhone and a iPad. Let me know if I'm off base or not with the survey.

Comments

• stu wrote:

Hi 'hippy dippy one', welcome to the forums, love the name :-)

Thanks, Stu. You'd have to be a George Carlin fan then, to fully appreciate the "Hippy dippy weatherman." derivation/tribute to his routine.

Our iOS apps are a little bit more tricky, we have to sell these through the iTunes App Store, which limits the options we have in terms of bundling them with purchases of a desktop version of 1Password, and of course it wouldn't make business sense to give these away for free. What we've tried to do is to make it easier to get the right version for your iOS device, and if you have both an iPhone / iPod Touch and an iPad you should purchase 1Password Pro, not only is this a universal application, but it also saves you $5 on purchasing 1Password for iPhone / 1Password for iPad individually.

Thanks for listening, Stu. I appreciate your comments. FYI, the other guys give the app desktop license completely for free with the purchase of the iApp for that precise reason. Not saying that you should too, just a hint at a marketing suggestion.

My 2¢ (since I'm not multi-platform rather a multi-machine/device) single user. My wife has SplashID and is perfectly happy with it. For what you charge I can think of several work arounds for the Sync issues that aren't spending $35.

From what you said about user, perhaps a discount for iApps + machine would be inline with that policy? Hence if you register two devices or more take the discount on the laptop at the time it is registered. I am definitely unwilling to use the desktop(s) and iPhone app at full price. And as I have no iPad 1Password Pro leaves me in the cold, dark poorhouse. $20 + $15? Uh, not. Not even 1Password X 2.

I'm pretty impressed at the capabilities of 1Password. Not too keen on using DropBox or any third party sync app to keep my passwords and financial data secure via the internet. Maybe it's just me, but it's the same reason I do not share financial data using current tax software that seemingly stores in that way.
  • hippy dippy one
    edited September 2010
    stu wrote:

You know, in all honesty, I've never seen the routine, I just thought the name was cool :-) I think I'll have to go check YouTube after work :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uaw3WIOlc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

enjoy!!!!
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    stu wrote:

I haven't used SplashID myself, so I'm not sure what it has in terms of features.

Its custom fields/categories are very useful to me.
  • Mike28a
    Mike28a
    Community Member
    I just got an iPad, and have already purchased 1Password3 and 1Password for iPhone and iPod Touch. It seems completely insane to pay 14.99 for the Pro version, and even 9.99 for the iPad version is really steep, as I already have the capability of just using the iPhone version on the iPad. Is there any payment relief for a valued long-time customer? Thanks
  • raysun
    raysun
    Community Member
    Hi Stu

Your response by this topic is in sincerity the humour, and is comfortable.

In App Store of Japan, I think that the popularity of 1Password for iPhone and iPod Touch is high.
    It is free at the limited time of several-time so far.
    Is a free campaign scheduled to be executed in the future?
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    raysun wrote:

Hi Stu

Your response by this topic is in sincerity the humour, and is comfortable.

In App Store of Japan, I think that the popularity of 1Password for iPhone and iPod Touch is high.
    It is free at the limited time of several-time so far.
    Is a free campaign scheduled to be executed in the future?

Hi Raysun, thanks for posting, and for the nice comments :)

I don't know of anything that's scheduled at the present time. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment.
  • raysun
    raysun
    Community Member
    Hi Cindy&Stu

You're welcome.
    An honest response is glad even if there is no actual profit.
    It makes a response in such a meaning significant. Thank you.

Cost is necessary for developing the solution. Service to the customer is also indispensable. Even if the country is different, it is the same. It is possible to understand. You feel that a surely wonderful, original balance is invented.

Thank you for being. We wish to express our gratitude.

macpug wrote:

Hi Raysun, thanks for posting, and for the nice comments :)

I don't know of anything that's scheduled at the present time. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the continued praise, raysun! :-)

The 1Password community is the best in the world. No contest.

Two points I would add to this already great discussion:

Regarding the security of syncing, we have recently posted a great addition to our documentation that I think you may find helpful, hippy dippy one:

How Secure Is Syncing?

Secondly, we do try to keep the cost of individual apps down instead of charging one price for all platforms, we charge a smaller price for each individual platform so people can purchase the applications a la carte. Not everyone needs the Windows version for example.

We are looking into multi-platform discounts, and when we have something to announce, you can be sure it will be posted on our blog.

:-D
  • Biscut
    Biscut
    Community Member
    Hi there,

I've been using 1Password as a trial and finally decided to buy it. I went with the family pack (Mac) for 1Password 3 and also want to have everyone able to use it on their iPhones as well. Am I right that we have to buy the iPhone app individually for each person at 9.99 a piece? I bought one iPhone license for myself already but just wanted to confirm that I need to keep purchasing the same thing for each person in the family pack's individual iPhone. Could someone please confirm this? or let me know of an alternative?

Cheers
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Biscut wrote:

Hi there,

I've been using 1Password as a trial and finally decided to buy it. I went with the family pack (Mac) for 1Password 3 and also want to have everyone able to use it on their iPhones as well. Am I right that we have to buy the iPhone app individually for each person at 9.99 a piece? I bought one iPhone license for myself already but just wanted to confirm that I need to keep purchasing the same thing for each person in the family pack's individual iPhone. Could someone please confirm this? or let me know of an alternative?

Cheers

Welcome to the forums, Biscut!

All of our products are sold separately. You can purchase software licenses for 1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows and Knox for Mac from the Agile Online Store at https://agilewebsolutions.com/store, and buy the 1Password mobile apps through the Apple iTunes Store (using the iTunes application or the App Store mobile app).

There are some bundled discounts available for new non-mobile app purchases, but Apple provides no mechanism to bundle the purchases in their iTunes Store.

If each person in your family with an "iDevice" (iPhone, iPod touch or iPad) that needs the 1Password mobile app has their own iTunes account then yes, you'd need to pay the iTunes Store for each copy. If any or all of you share the same iTunes account, Apple says you can download a purchased app to as many as five (5) devices from a single iTunes account.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • Biscut
    Biscut
    Community Member
    Thank you MartyS, I think it's clear now.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Biscut wrote:

Thank you MartyS, I think it's clear now.

Super! Just let us know if you need anything else.
This discussion has been closed.