Is there a local networking syncing option? [yes, local Wi-Fi sync]

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Problems adding Folder Sync [confirmed, will fix].

Comments

• loft
    loft
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi there,

so at the moment there is no option to sync in a local network?
    I don't want to use iCloud or Dropbox...

Thanks.

[Moderator edit] Reply from other unrelated topic:

thanks for the tip with Wi-Fi sync, but I don't need to sny mobile devices. I'm in need to sync some Mac Pros in a local network...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @loft:

For 1Password 4 on OS X and iOS there's:

Sync using local Wi-Fi

Mac-only Wi-Fi syncing isn't currently supported. However, Folder Sync is another option that could probably work for you:

Sync with local folder

If you'd like more details about that please let me know.

• mattspace
    mattspace
    Community Member
    Options

Does WiFi syncing work between iOS devices, or is it Mac <--> iOS only (and is it bi-directional?)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mattspace.

1P4 Wi-Fi syncing is bi-directional between Mac and iOS, while not supported directly between iOS devices.

AirDrop sharing for 1P4 on iOS has been suggested and is under consideration. Offhand can you think of any iOS apps that support direct syncing?

• mattspace
    mattspace
    Community Member
    Options

From what I have, the closest would be Files Pro by Olive Toast. I can open the app on both devices, have one in server mode and use the browser on the other device to connect to the apps's webdav server, to view and save files, so I would think it's possible.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattspace,

If it's possible, I'm sure our developers will consider it - we know how important non-cloud-based solutions are for our users. :)

• Susanne Homberger
    Susanne Homberger
    Community Member
    Options

Is it somehow possible to sync between the two machines through WiFi without using any of those external places like DropBox? If so, what happens: Do the individual records get checked and synced or is simpy the latest full file being swapped to the other machine?

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Susanne.

I've merged your topic with another that answers your first question (in post #3). Wi-Fi syncing directly between Macs isn't currently supported and Folder Sync is a possible alternative. You also asked:

Do the individual records get checked and synced or is simpy the latest full file being swapped to the other machine?

1Password keychains are actually "folder bundles" containing multiple files. Wi-Fi, Dropbox, iCloud, and Folder syncing will normally update specific files within a 1P keychain as necessary while iTunes File Sharing will copy the entire keychain.

I hope that helps. :)

• Susanne Homberger
    Susanne Homberger
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Thank you sjk. I shall try this. Fingers crossed I don't lose anything.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Susanne.

If you'd like any help with setting up syncing please let me know. Remember that 1Password 4 automatically creates backup copies of your data. :)

This discussion has been closed.