Safari 1Password Extension settings

Options

I have 1Password on a MacBook, an iMac, and a Windows7 installation on the MacBook under BootCamp. All the browsers are Safari 6. The extensions on both Macs are 3.9.20. I'd have to stop and reboot to give the Windows Safari extension number, so that will have to wait for another day, if needed. On the MacBook, when I click on the extension, the list of passwords is immediately displayed. On the iMac and the Windows installation, I have to type a password in the extension to get the display of site passwords. As far as I can tell I have the security settings on both Macs set the same. Both "Conceal Passwords" and "Enable Universal Unlock" are checked on both. Frankly, I'd prefer not to have to type the password into the extension if it was possible. Of course, knowing how to enable the password as well as disable it would be even better. That way I could turn it on for when I'm away from home (only occasionally with the laptop), and leave it off for the time that I am home. Is there a setting on the main app upon which the extension depends to make the security setting on the extension work?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @elainezfw,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm afraid that I'm going to need just a bit more information from you before I can answer your questions. Your post is in the 1Password 4 forum, but you mention using the 3.9.2 version extensions. Are you using 1Password 3 or 1Password 4? (Security settings have changed slightly between versions, so I want to be sure that I am giving you the correct information.)

In general, however, the lock settings are determined by the main app and can be set in Preferences > Security. Once I know what version you're looking at, I can give you some more detailed advice. :)

• elainezfw
    elainezfw
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I was wondering if there was a setting in the desktop version (I'm on v3.8.21) that controls behavior in the browser extensions. Sorry, before posting, I just assumed I was using 1P4. Is there an upgrade path?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @elainezfw,

Thanks for confirming your version number for me.

Frankly, I'd prefer not to have to type the password into the extension if it was possible.

To avoid typing the password into the extension, you will need to ensure that 'Disable universal unlock of 1Password' is not checked, and then adjust your security settings to leave the app unlocked for a comfortable period of time. If your computer does remain idle for a while though, 1Password may need to be unlocked when you resume work. You are of course welcome to unlock via the main app so that the extension opens automatically for you.

Of course, knowing how to enable the password as well as disable it would be even better. That way I could turn it on for when I'm away from home (only occasionally with the laptop), and leave it off for the time that I am home. Is there a setting on the main app upon which the extension depends to make the security setting on the extension work?

Unfortunately, right now there are no location-specific ways to determine 1Password's locking settings, so you will need to manually adjust these depending on where you are using your computer. If you do not have 'Disable universal unlock of 1Password' checked, the extension will unlock every time that the main app does, and will remain unlocked as long as the main app does.

I just assumed I was using 1P4. Is there an upgrade path?

There certainly is! Simply head over to our upgrade page and enter your current license information in the top field to see your available discount for 1Password 4.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.