Using Chrome Extension with Opera v18

Options

Hi,

i am using 1Password 1.0.9.340 on Windows 8.1 and want to use it with Opera 18.0.1284.68. Because the official Opera Extension is only for 1Password4 (and Mac?), i thought Opera supports Chrome extensions then i just could use the Chrome Extension 3.9.20.0. But that doesn't work, i always have a red badge. Is there a workaround for that?

If not, will Opera on Windows be supported at some point?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm afraid we are not supporting Opera on Windows.

• carfal
    carfal
    Community Member
    Options

Not supporting as in not yet or as in not ever? Will 1Password 4 for Windows support Opera?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will 1Password 4 for Windows support Opera?

Probably not. Sorry.

• derekuda
    derekuda
    Community Member
    Options

Disappointing that it is supported on the mac but not windows. I thought that Chrome and Opera were so close since they were both based on chromium that it would have been easy to make one.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't speak to the ease of making an extension for an additional browser, but each new browser increases the test load linearly and adds to the documentation load.

We've based browser choices on usage statistics, and the size of the Opera user population simply doesn't push it "above the line" for consumption of our limited resources.

• derekuda
    derekuda
    Community Member
    Options

I hate to kick a dead horse but I just saw that the extension for Safari got updated for 1password for windows beta. Safari for windows hasnt been updated in 2 years. Surely there are more Opera users than Safari for windows which has no support?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Not according to this article in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

That's nearly three times as many folks still using Safari.

Of course, Safari is still very much alive in Mac OS X, and 1Password for Windows benefits from our development for that huge user base.

• lefechka
    lefechka
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I'm using extension in Opera ;)

Manual

Dear DBrown & Co, Opera 15+ supports extensions for Chrome. For correct work quite a bit edit a file roughness. No need to let its users. These pictures speak only of weakness and the weak have no place in the competition. We are waiting for the results! Enough of fairy tales and excuses

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

@lefechka, I'm not sure I understand all the points in your post, but I'm happy that you seem to have found a way to make the 1Password extension for Chrome work with your preferred browser. Thanks for letting us know!

We hope you understand the logic of applying our limited resources to the needs of the 82%–98% of the market represented by users of the four supported browsers.

• derekuda
    derekuda
    Community Member
    Options

It's too bad that graph doesn't differentiate Windows and Mac versions of Safari. But why support Opera on Mac if it does not have the market?

• lefechka
    lefechka
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Dear DBrown. I live in Russia and we have the picture is different.

Opera Mac received support. Why is it so hard to do for Windows?
    Opera and Chrome built on one and the same components. No problem adapting extension for native use.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

@derekuda, my guess is that Opera support on the Mac is a holdover from when Opera represented a larger share of the Mac browser market.

1Password for Mac has been around for many years longer than 1Password for Windows, a mere baby by comparison. [Ed: Incorrect, as noted below.]

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lefechka, I don't know why (or even whether) it's so hard to do on Windows. I do know that everything that gets done takes time, and there are a lot of things to get done. I've tried to explain the logic behind support of Opera not getting a higher priority than it has, so far.

Thanks for understanding!

• derekuda
    derekuda
    Community Member
    Options

I believe Opera support in 1password for mac was just added in 1Password4. Previously it was not supported in 3. So I don't think its a holdover.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Well, that shows my long absence from the 1Password for Mac support team. Using Chrome and Safari on my Mac, I wasn't even aware of the addition.

Sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.