Setting up Dropbox Syncing

(was: Newbie Knows Nothing)
Yesterday, after a few days of research, I decided to purchase 1Password for the iPad. Because of the lack of multitasking, it took several hours to transfer my data from a Pages doc I had into 1Password. Seeing how cool and effective it was, I decided to get 1Password for my iMac if I could find a way to move my data from my iPad app to my iMac app more easily than my previous method. I got a very encouraging e-mail from Agile with a link to instructions, but I got stuck at step 1. If it is possible to get my1Password files on my iPad into Dropbox on my iPad, and from there into Dropbox and 1Password on my iMac, I would be in ecstasy. If you could give me some Super Stupid Smudgeyjoe instructions, I would be forever indebted.

Comments

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    smudgeyjoe wrote:

Yesterday, after a few days of research, I decided to purchase 1Password for the iPad. Because of the lack of multitasking, it took several hours to transfer my data from a Pages doc I had into 1Password. Seeing how cool and effective it was, I decided to get 1Password for my iMac if I could find a way to move my data from my iPad app to my iMac app more easily than my previous method. I got a very encouraging e-mail from Agile with a link to instructions, but I got stuck at step 1. If it is possible to get my1Password files on my iPad into Dropbox on my iPad, and from there into Dropbox and 1Password on my iMac, I would be in ecstasy. If you could give me some Super Stupid Smudgeyjoe instructions, I would be forever indebted.

I am using the pro version of 1P on my iPad and iPhone, so I hope that you have the same functionality. Here is what I would do:

1. Make sure that your iPad and iMac are on the same wifi network.
    2. On your iPad in the 1P app, go to Settings -> Data -> Backup & Restore. A page with a couple of web addresses will pop up.
    3. On your iMac, navigate to the web address that is displayed and follow the instructions to download the backup file.
    4. Import that backup into your 1P app on your iMac.

Once you have your iMac setup, you can follow the dropbox syncing procedures in Agile's documentation to get your iMac and iPad syncing over the air through dropbox. I have my iMac, iPhone, and iPad working his way and it is really nice functionality. I hope this helps.
  • smudgeyjoe
    smudgeyjoe
    Community Member
    I haven't tried it yet, but I will in a bit and then come back with the results. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your response!!
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Sorry, I should have had more detials on the iMac import procedure:

4. On your iMac, go to File -> Restore data file from backup and then select the location of the backup file that was downloaded from your iPad.
  • smudgeyjoe
    smudgeyjoe
    Community Member
    I used the "backup and restore" method, but the message on the website on my iMac said the backup wouldn't work for 1Password on my iMac. I tried it anyway, but 1Password on my Mac didn't recognize the file. I went back into my iPad 1Password app, went to settings, data, sync, and then chose to turn on WiFi. It then opened up a dialogue box with 2 strange secrets, phrases with hyphens, that's what it called them, and when I opened 1Password on my Mac, it immediately brought up a dialogue box asking for the two secrets. As soon as I entered them, the data synced. Thanks for putting me on the right track!!
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Great! I would definitely recommend the dropbox setup now that your data is in sync. Glad that you got it working.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys,

The "Backup & Restore" functionality does indeed only work with the iOS device. As smudgeyjoe already mentioned, there is a message to that effect when you invoke the feature. This is primarily a means of backing up your data without 1Password on a Mac or PC. It is available as a fallback, but considering we offer 30-day trial versions of both our Mac and Windows applications, I think it can be much easier to sync the data to the desktop app(s).

Fooligan, the restore feature (File > Restore Data File from Backup…) in 1Password for Mac is only to restore the automatic backups that 1Password for Mac creates on your Mac. It is not an import function (which is listed separately), and, as I mentioned already, cannot read 1Password for iOS backup files.

It sounds like you got Wi-Fi syncing working, smudgeyjoe. That's great! Dropbox syncing is much more robust (since it works anywhere you have an Internet connection). You can keep your data in sync while traveling across town, across the country, and even throughout the world. There is no need to be near your main computer as there is with Wi-Fi sync. It's like MobileMe contacts and calendar syncing for all your secure data.

If you want to get started with Dropbox syncing, please make sure you have Dropbox installed and running on your Mac. Then all you need to do is move your data file to the Dropbox folder.

1Password for Mac
    1. Preferences > General > Data File > "Move…"
    2. Select your Dropbox folder
    3. Click "Move to Selected Folder"

Now, just open 1Password on your iPad and head to Settings > Sync > Dropbox to enable it. You will be prompted for your Dropbox credentials (which will be filled in automatically if you have a login saved for the Dropbox website).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you get stuck. :-)

P.S. Welcome to the forum, smudgeyjoe!
This discussion has been closed.