How do site icons get generated?

Jody
Jody
Community Member
edited September 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Just installed and trying out 1P now. The globe icon appears with the smaller site icon on the lower right. This never seems to update to reflect the site logo after editing and using an entry. Yet on 1P's own site the screenshot clearly shows sites with their logos. How do you achieve this? Is there a difference between creating a new entry and modifying one?

Two sites seemed to have the logos generated, but the rest not and I don't understand how this gets done. I realize I can grab the logo off a webpage and drag it onto the clip-space provided on the edit page, but this comes in sized according to however the site designer has done it, and not automatically sized to the 1P site logo space.

Also if you DO use the dragging of an image (png, jpeg, gif...whatever) there seems to be no way to delete it to go back to the old blue globe. You can overwrite it with a new image but not delete.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Jody,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for asking some good questions!

Some sites do not serve up the larger images that you see on sites like eBay, Evernote, Facebook, Foursquare, Instapaper, and WordPress.com (to name a few). Most sites still use the older style "favicon" with is a smaller (16x16 pixel) image that 1Password displays in the corner of its own globe icon. This is entirely dependent on the site to offer a larger graphic (or even the smaller one — some sites offer neither).

Make sure that "Automatically download icons and previews for new logins" is enabled (Preferences > Logins > Login Previews) to get the most out of the feature, but you can always click the buttons you see along with that checkbox to "Download missing previews" or "Remove all previews…"

Screen%20shot%202010-09-30%20at%2011.25.44%20AM.png

As you already have discovered, you can add your own images to sites which do not provide their own by editing the login and dragging an image — or an application, which will use its icon — onto the image drop zone of that login. The images are resized to scale, so you will get the best results with a square (or nearly square) image, rather than an an image that is very long or tall.

If you want to clear an image, simply right-click (or ctrl-click) on the image and select "Clear Preview." This context menu also provides the option to download a preview of the site for just that one login (as opposed to the global features in Preferences > Logins).

I hope that helps. Please let me know! :-)
  • Jody
    Jody
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Thank you Khad. I checked the prefs and "Automatically download.." was checked (I assume the default). I did run the "Download missing previews", but noticed no change. What is odd, is that following the instructions for "Multiple Page Logins" I set up 2 login items for my bank. The first one - Bank 1 has a perfect site logo, the second one - Bank 2 has the blue globe + tiny logo. Why the discrepancy on the same site? The logic should hold, and certainly during the missing preview update I would have thought it would have been fixed.

Of all things that doesn't have a site logo - DropBox! Couldn't get one for Wachovia either - initially or on the missing download function. Geico is another one that won't come through and I would have thought all these would have one.

Just to add an oddity - the Agile 1 website doesn't come in with a site logo either. Nor does Amazon.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Jody,

Some banks use multiple servers for multi-page logins. If the URLs for your "Bank 1" and "Bank 2" logins are not on the same domain (and subdomain) what you are experiencing is not uncommon (e.g.: www.example.com and login.example.com).

There is only so much 1Password can do to automatically get a logo from a site. The standard method is via a favicon, but we also support apple-touch-icons (which are the full-size icons you see). Since the larger icons were originally implemented for display on Apple's iOS home screens, many companies that do not have an iOS optimized version of their site do not supply an apple-touch-icon formatted image. (This includes our own website, though there is not reason we can't add an apple-touch-icon in the future without changing anything else on the site. I will suggest this.)

For Dropbox and other sites which also produce an OS X application (like Agile and 1Password), you can drag the application from your Applications folder onto the image drop zone and use the app icon for the login! Pretty cool. Wachovia and many other companies usually have some nice logos you can drag and drop form Wikipedia or simply do a Google Image Search for "[company] icon" or "[company] logo."
  • Jody
    Jody
    Community Member
    For Dropbox and other sites which also produce an OS X application (like Agile and 1Password), you can drag the application from your Applications folder onto the image drop zone and use the app icon for the login! Pretty cool. Wachovia and many other companies usually have some nice logos you can drag and drop form Wikipedia or simply do a Google Image Search for "[company] icon" or "[company] logo."
    [/quote]

Yes, yes, yes... this works GREAT!! Dragging the application icon directly over is just perfect (for an app icon.) For the others I will ferret them out. Thank you Khad for the additional explanation, that is very helpful to know the details.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You are quite welcome! I am really glad I could help. It is always a pleasure to help people get the most out of 1Password.

Enjoy the rest of your day. :-)
  • ntahall
    ntahall
    Community Member
    Hi

I've had similar issues with this, including:
    - "updating previews" gets stuck if there is a mistake in the URL;
    - Selecting the URL field doesn't highlight the whole URL, which would be the most helpful;
    - changing the URL updates the preview and REMOVES the already chosen icon, reverting the the blue globe.

FInally, I would find it much more useful to have the icon under the paperclip instead of a minuscule and unreadable preview.

Thank you
    N
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 2010
    ntahall wrote:

- Selecting the URL field doesn't highlight the whole URL, which would be the most helpful;

What do you mean? I'm able to select the whole URL by triple-clicking in the field, which is standard behavior and how the other fields function. If you just tab to the field, it will be completely selected.

ntahall wrote:

FInally, I would find it much more useful to have the icon under the paperclip instead of a minuscule and unreadable preview.

Do you mean the website icon from the address bar? That isn't nearly large enough to display it the same size as the preview. The preview is meant to be a general idea of the page because most are easily distinguishable without being able to read the text.
This discussion has been closed.