sync-ing 1Password iPhone 4 via Dropbox - not working

wils
wils
Community Member
Using 1Password 3.4.4 on Mac 10.6.4 and iPhone-4 iOS 4.1
1Password set up and working on Mac ... data file is in this path DropBox -> Data -> 1Password -> 1Password.agilekeychain
1Password set up and working on iPhone (it will sync via WiFi to Mac when set that way)
DropBox set up and working on Mac and iPhone (can verify that all folders and files on one are on the other)

However:

when 1Password on iPhone is set to sync via DropBox .. it fails
(I have tested changing the location of aglekeychain to the root level of DropBox .. then resetting location for 1Password on Mac, and allowing Dropbox to reset)
it still doesn't work (and there is no way to explicitly point 1Password on the iPhone to the file agiekeychain)

also:
on this page <http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html&gt;
the video you refer customers to in #2 shows aglekeychain is being stored in a sub folder in DropBox

Comments

• jochenn
    jochenn
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    wils wrote:

when 1Password on iPhone is set to sync via DropBox .. it fails
    (I have tested changing the location of aglekeychain to the root level of DropBox .. then resetting location for 1Password on Mac, and allowing Dropbox to reset)
    it still doesn't work (and there is no way to explicitly point 1Password on the iPhone to the file agiekeychain)
    Same here: I recently changed my Master Password in the Mac Version of 1P. On the next launch of 1P for iPhone (Pro) I had not changed the Master Password, so it couldn't sync. I fully understand this. BUT: After I changed the Master Password for 1P on iPhone to be the same as on the Mac, 1P still tells me in the Dropbox Sync section: "Master Password was incorrect. Please enter the Master Password you used on Mac or PC."

Accessing 1P from different Macs with the new pw works just fine. Also accessing the 1P via dropbox web (with the same new master pw) works. It is just the Sync between 1P for iPhone and the keychain file on Dropbox that does NOT work.

Any hints?

Regards
    Jochen
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    wils wrote:

wills can you open your dropbox web interface, or alternatively set you Mac to show hidden files look inside your dropbox folder and open the hidden file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings

can you verify the path listed is the correct on to where your data file is. This is a simple text file that just tells the sync mechanism where to find your keychain. It needs to be in the root of your dropbox folder, so please don't delete it.

If the path is incorrect you can change it to the correct location if you are comfortable with that. And thanks to Dropbox if you do edit it you can always roll it back to a previous version if needed for some reason, although I wouldn't anticipate this..

Based upon your Post it should look something like this

Data/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Wat version of the iOS app are you running ?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    jochenn wrote:

Any hints?

Regards
    Jochen

I havent had to change my password so I can only speculate. so here goes

The old password is saved within the iOS app because when the sync occurs the touch app downloads the file uses the password that is stored inside it to decrypt the keychain then uses the iOS password to re encrypt it. (This is needed if you use different passwords on the Mac and the iOS device)
    Having said that I wonder if you simply changed the MP on the iOS app so that the unlock was working. I wonder if the iOS didnt grab this change and therefore is trying to use the old password to decrypt etc.

Try opening the iOS 1P app go into > more > settings > Sync (dropbox should be listed) > Dropbox > Account > retype the new password here in the appropriate field or use the reset button to re enter all of the Dropbox sync info.

Let us know if you are able to fix the issue.
  • Loren777
    Loren777
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    I am having the same problem. I turned on hidden files on my Mac and can see the following hidden files at root in my Dropbox - ".DS_Store" and "Icon". The ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" file does not show up. Do I need to create it now? My agile password keychain is currently stored in the dropbox in a folder called "1Password". 1Password opens and saves to this folder fine for day to day operations but has not created the hidden file you mentioned. Also, I looked in the web version of Dropbox and did not see the settings file there. I guess I'll try created one and see if that works, though I'm not sure of any other text that may be required. Please get back to me on this.

I'm running iOS version of 1Pswd 3.5.2 on an iPhone 4 with 4.2

thanks!

Created the file on Dropbox made it invisible with a link address to the right location for the 1Password agile keychain. Good news is that I don't get the "failed to find 1Password keychain" error. Bad news is that it stops at "Searching for data file on Dropbox". I used TextEdit to create the file and it does not have an option to save the file as .txt so I chose the .odt options and erased the suffix after creation and replaced it with the settings address you gave earlier. Should I use RTF instead or a different editor?

Still hoping to get this going.

Figure out the "Format" option in TextEdit that allows one to convert a document to Text. So now the error I get in 1Password on my iOS device is: " Dropbox sync failed to download remote encryption keys."

New suggestion?

thightower wrote:

wills can you open your dropbox web interface, or alternatively set you Mac to show hidden files look inside your dropbox folder and open the hidden file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings

can you verify the path listed is the correct on to where your data file is. This is a simple text file that just tells the sync mechanism where to find your keychain. It needs to be in the root of your dropbox folder, so please don't delete it.

If the path is incorrect you can change it to the correct location if you are comfortable with that. And thanks to Dropbox if you do edit it you can always roll it back to a previous version if needed for some reason, although I wouldn't anticipate this..

Based upon your Post it should look something like this

Data/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Wat version of the iOS app are you running ?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Loren777,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

What version of 1Password for Mac are you using? Versions prior to 3 will not create the file necessary to sync.

1Password 3 will automatically create the pointer file .ws.agile.1Password.settings for you. If it is not, there is another problem that likely needs to be addressed first.

Could you please take a screenshot of your Preferences > General screen with the path to your data file? You can take a screenshot of just that window by pressing Command-Shift-4, then the Space bar, then click on the Preferences window. This will take a picture and save it to your Desktop. You can attach it to your reply to this thread.

Thanks!
  • I am having the same problem. I decided to migrate from using wifi sync to dropbox sync. I have trawled through other threads here and done all the steps I could find to resolve but still no use. I have set the data file location to ~/dropbox. Rebuilt data file. Let dropbox complete its thing. Restarted 1PW on Mac. Let dropbox finish. Deleted 1PW from iphone. Re installed 1PW on iphone. set up master PW on iPhone to be same as on desktop. set dropbox account info correctly but it still says "failed to find the data file on DropBox". I have also moved the data file out of dropbox, restarted 1PW, moved it back in, restarted and rebuilt the data file.

Mac OS x 10.6.4, 1PW Mac Version 3.5.0 (build 30795), iPhone 3G ios v4.1 (8B117), 1PW iPhone version 3.5.2
  • and forgot to mention that there is no .ws.agile.1Password.settings file, regardless of where i place the data file.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Hi mafleming,

Welcome to the forums. I am sorry that you are having this problem as well.

If you are moving the data file in Finder, you may need to double-click it to activate it in 1Password as the "current" data file. Otherwise, 1Password is not even using it, and will therefore not create the pointer file.

The best course of action is to move the data file within 1Password as described in our Syncing Your Data Using Dropbox Mac setup guide. (Preferences > General > Data File > Move…)

Please let me know how it goes.
  • Thanks for replying. I had already done all the steps you mention. However, on another thread there were discussions about getting the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file to appear. I managed to find someone who was experiencing the exact same symptoms as me and had the same configuration. Despite what the advisor was stating, 1PW does really seem to want the drop box folder to be called Dropbox with a capital D. Mine was (and always has been since I installed it was with a d). After moving the datafile from within 1PW to my dropbox folder, then closing 1PW, double-clicking the file, 1PW did NOT ask if I wanted to use the file, it just used it. Dropbox did not appear in the sidebar of 1PW. However, closing 1PW again, renaming my dropbox to Dropbox, then double-clicking the data file did cause 1PW to ask me if I wanted to use the file. Now it has created the .ws.agile.1Password.settings and now Dropbox appears in 1PW sidebar and my iphone will sync. Perhaps that's something you smart chaps can have a look at streamlining in a future update.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know everything is working well, mafleming. That is always good to hear. :-)

We will perform additional investigations regarding Dropbox folder naming as it relates to syncing.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know!
  • I can confirm mafleming's post above. My DropBox folder in my /Users/username folder was named DropBox with a capital D and B. Once I renamed it Dropbox everything started syncing fine and I could confirm the pointer file was written properly.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for posting that, marcray, and welcome to the forums! :-)

After doing a bit of testing with Dropbox the other day, I noticed that Dropbox does actively try to prevent users from renaming the folder. There is actually not an interface to rename the folder from with the Dropbox application itself, and if you move the Dropbox folder from within Dropbox preferences, the folder will be renamed "Dropbox." So, I'm not saying right or wrong, but it would appear that even the Dropbox application tries to prevent renaming the folder as best it can.

To add to the confusion, while it is not the default, some users do run on a case-sensitive filesystem where Dropbox, DropBox, and dropbox are literally three different folders. :blink:

Currently, 1Password merely uses the path that Dropbox itself reports (which will not actually be the same if the folder is renamed in Finder by the user after Dropbox "sets" it). However, we are considering dropping case-sensitivity in this instance in the hopes that issues like this will be mitigated and users who are running a case-sensitive file system will consider paying attention to the case of the folder name if it is not working. ;-)

So, while 1Password is not really doing the "wrong" thing here — merely looking in the path reported by Dropbox — we may make an improvement to account for "user customizations."

Cheers!
  • Thats a great explanation of what is going on and thank you for clarifying. Now that I have my computers, iphone and ipad syncing I am free to use my ipad more. Truly a great product and you all keep up the awesome work.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad I could provide some insight. I can't imagine going back to manual Wi-Fi syncing at this point! :-D

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.