migrating from 1pw 3 to 4 WITHOUT dropbox or icloud

Options
bobbwhy
bobbwhy
Community Member

I have placed my v3 plist file on a usb key. 1password 4 will not recognize it however and the instructions for syncing are confusing at best.
I am temporarily using v 3 on my own machine and v4 at work and just want a 1 time sync for now.

I have been happy with 1Password 3 but am very unhappy that a straightforward thing like this seems so difficult and time consuming. I wish to make the transfer without having my program assume that I am using a third party solution like Dropbox or iCloud that I do not wish to have.

thank you in advance
Robert LaMarca

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Robert ( @bobbwhy ),

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulties getting your data into 1Password 4. Let's see what we can do to fix this.

You certainly do not need to use a sync solution to get your data transferred, but we will need to access your 1Password.agilekeychain. You can find out where your 1Password.agilekeychain is stored by going to Preferences > General.

• If you are using version 3.8, your default datafile location is: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    • If you are using 3.9, your default datafile location is: ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

Please copy the 1Password.agilekeychain file onto your USB key.

Now, here's how to get set up on your work computer:

• Create a 1Password folder on your desktop (if you like to keep your desktop clean, don't worry, this step is temporary)
    • Move your 1Password.agilekeychain from your USB drive into this folder
    • Open 1Password 4 as a new user
    • Create a new vault with the same Master Password as you are currently using in 1Password 3 (be sure to enter a good password hint, just in case you need it someday!)
    • Go to Preferences > Sync and select Folder Sync
    • Select Desktop/1Password as the folder to sync to (Select the folder, not the 1Password.agilekeychain itself)
    • 1Password will tell you that it has found existing data here and offer to merge your data for you
    • Select 'Merge' and your data will populate

To clean up that folder on your desktop once your data is updated in 1Password:

• Go to Preferences > Sync and select 'Change syncing'
    • Check the option to 'Delete data from the folder' and select 'Disable syncing'
    • Move the 1Password folder on your desktop to the Trash

This should get you all sorted out, but please do let me know if you run into any snags during the process, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.