Sharing Mac and Windows 1Password database when using Parallels?

This question may need to go in the Mac forum - I'm not sure, so I'm posting on both Mac and WIndows. I've been a long-tie Mac user of 1Password but I also run Windows as a VM under Parallels and I've recently downloaded a copy of of 1Password for Windows (which I didn't even know existed!) and I would like to know if it's possible to share the 1Password database with both Windows and my Mac?

I'm sure that this topic has been covered before - before I go ahead and plunk down my money for the Windows version (I'm using it in trial mode now) I would like to see if this is possible.

Thanks,

Clinton

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It sure is possible, Clinton!

An overview of the process is to install Dropbox on your Mac, select Dropbox sync'ing in 1Password for Mac, let Dropbox finish copying your 1Password data up to your private dropbox.com web site, install Dropbox in your Windows VM, wait for Dropbox to finish copying your 1Password data down from your private dropbox.com web site, install 1Password for Windows in your Windows VM, and accept its offer to use the 1Password data it finds in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy (C:\Users\your-name\Documents\Dropbox...).

Let us know if you need any help with the details, Clinton, which you can find in the user's guides on the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I also replied at your other thread:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/109881/#Comment_109881

This might be useful if you don't want to use Dropbox.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

is it possible to share the 1Password database with both Windows and my Mac?

Absolutely! I'm actually running this Parallels + Dropbox setup myself.

• Clinton Dyches
    Clinton Dyches
    Community Member

Thanks so much for all your help - I went ahead and purchased the WIndows version, too, and am running both on my Mac with Dropbox - it couldn't have been simpler! Thanks to everyone who replied (both here and in my Mac post). 1Passowrd is an application that I don't know how I ever lived without... and now that I'm on Windows so often, I really needed it to act in conjunction with my Mac version. This is a great product and a great community.

Thanks,

Clinton

• Clinton Dyches
    Clinton Dyches
    Community Member

OOPS! I spoke too soon - while all of my info is in the 1Password application, the info isr't showing up in the Firefox extension in Windows. What must I do? (I swear it was working yesterday - now it's not!

Any help?

Clinton

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like you have Firefox's extension-sync feature enabled, so the 1Password 4 extension from your Mac was copied to Firefox on Windows. Unfortunately, the new 1Password 4 extension for Firefox on the Mac doesn't work with 1Password for Windows. We're working on version 4 of 1Password for Windows, but for now you'll need to disable Firefox's extension-sync feature, uninstall the 1Password extension in Firefox on your PC, and re-install the compatible extension from within 1Password for Windows. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

If you're interested, you can sign up to join the list of folks waiting to work with the 1Password 4 for Windows beta: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

This discussion has been closed.