How to identify & change passwords in mass - questions?

jadavid
jadavid
Community Member
edited March 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi! this is a great product, and I'm really glad I bought it.

My question revolves around how to identify and change passwords for several sites at once. As you probably heard, Kickstarter was recently hacked, and so I needed to change that password. As I did, I realized that I need to go through and change all of the other sites that use the same password. While I periodically use your random password generator, I've only adopted it for about 25% of the sites that I use. In addition, I have several websites that use one of a group of 9 or 10 different passwords that I manually created over the last several years.

For those of you reading this, please don't bother flaming me about being lazy, or any other perceived personal failings that may make sense to you, to fault my behavior. The passwords in question are what they are, and I don't want to waste folks time trying to justify my reasons or situation.

What I would like to know is if it's possible to figure out what other entries in 1Password use the same password as the one your trying to figure out? As an example, say my Kickstarter password was "Random @cce55 is for chumps" (and no, that's not it!) It would be really useful if I could find out what other sites I've set up with that same password - without having to look at all of the other 529 sites I've set up in 1Password.

This used to not be a problem when you only had one password, or even a small group of two or three passwords. Nowadays, though, with banks, Target, Kickstarter, Sony, and everyone's other brother getting hacked, changing passwords on a regular basis is a necessity. Enabling random passwords is great, but being able to change them readily is even cooler. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

What I would like to know is if it's possible to figure out what other entries in 1Password use the same password as the one your trying to figure out?

View > Duplicated Passwords

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Gosh, I hope no one here would flame you, @jadavid!

We're all using 1Password because it's a great way to transition from our old method, whatever it was (the same password for all sites, a handful of passwords that we use almost at random, all our password written on a sticky note or saved to a text file, ...) to a new method (a unique and unguessable password for every site, safely stored and and automatically sync'ed to all our computers and mobile devices).

Each of us comes from a different starting point on the "old method" spectrum, and each makes the transition to the new method at a different pace. Few of us have time to sit down and go through hundreds of sites, so 1Password makes it easy to change them, one at a time, as you log into each site. Even that, though, we each do at our own pace.

We're all in the same boat, here—no flames allowed! :)

This discussion has been closed.