Desktop is out of sync

Rob 1234
Rob 1234
Community Member
edited April 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

A little while ago, I was using my desktop app to sign into a website. An error popped up about a missing Dropbox file with a long name. I didn't think it was serious, but right after that error, the login I was trying to use no longer showed up on my desktop list. Fortunately, I did have an export backup handy, so I didn't lose that login. Later I checked my iPhone and iPad, and that missing login is on both of those - just not the desktop. Today I did a test, and put a note into that login on my iPhone. Dropbox synced, and that login now shows on my desktop. I was happy that I had solved the problem.
Then, I checked the login counts. My desktop seems to be missing more logins. I am not sure which ones. I guess I would have to manually go through all my logins to see what is missing.

How can my desktop be so out of sync with my iPhone and iPad? This is making me very nervous. I do have everything exported, but as I have said before, that export does not include notes. And some of the notes are very important. Or generated passwords, too.

What can I do to make sure:

1 - My desktop gets back in sync with everything else

2 - I don't lose any more information

Comments

• Rob 1234
    Rob 1234
    Community Member

It looks like my desktop is now missing 20 logins. Can you help me understand what has happened? I am very worried about keeping my logins and passwords safe. I trust everything to 1Password, and I need to know it will be there when I need it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Rob, we feel confident that any item that doesn't appear in 1Password for Windows isn't being sync'ed by Dropbox, because 1Password for Windows actually reads and writes the data in the .agilekeychain folder that is stored in your Dropbox folder hierarchy on your PC (which Dropbox copies to and from your private dropbox.com web site).

1Password for iOS, by contrast, maintains an separate internal database, using the Dropbox API to sync between its internal database and the .agilekeychain folder on your private dropbox.com web site. If that sync'ing in iOS is disrupted somehow, 1Password for iOS might well display an item that isn't in the .agilekeychain folder under Dropbox sync control.

Development asks that you try this:

1. In 1Password for iOS, back up your 1Password data through iTunes, just in case you need it later.

2. Still in 1Password for iOS, turn off (and then turn back on) Dropbox sync.

The probably result is that the missing items will be sync'ed to your private dropbox.com web site and then sync'ed to your PC.

A less likely result is that the items not seen in the 1Password for Windows will also be gone from 1Password for iOS. Not to worry, though: Just restore your 1Password data through iTunes, following the instructions under the Windows tab.

This discussion has been closed.