1Password Windows Crashing on load

Hi,

Both me and a co-worker are experiencing an issue when using the
desktop app (both are on Windows. I'm on Windows 8 and he's using Windows 7).
Everything has been working perfectly fine until today. Basically as
soon as I start up the app it stops responding (freezes). Sometimes
I'm able to enter my master password and get into the account and
sometimes it freezes prior to even doing that. I have to force quit
it. It's basically usable as of now.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

This is the only report of that problem, @francisco.

As it's happening to two of you in the same office, is there any chance the IT department has installed new antivirus, anti-malware, or firewall software or changed the settings in existing software?

It sounds like something is blocking (or at least slowing horribly) 1Password's attempt at launch-time to check for new versions.

• francisco
    francisco
    Community Member

Since I posted this issue, now I am experiencing similar issues in a the Mac version too. All our account in the office, sync to a shared folder in Google drive, which contains the the vault we all sync to. No changes in antivirus, firewall or settings in the software. The only change in the last few days has been a new router and a new IP from our ISP. It would be great if we can get some phone support. This is currently affecting our production line and we need to get it going.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @francisco. The additional information makes it seem even more likely that it's an office-wide change of some kind. (1Password for Mac and for Windows are developed and released on entirely independent schedules, so there's no change that would've occurred simultaneously on both platforms.)

We typically don't support storage of the 1Password vault (the .agilekeychain folder that serves as a sync point for 1Password for Mac and the actual database for 1Password for Windows) on a network share drive.

Can you work with your IT folks to see whether the settings on the Network tab of 1Password for Windows preferences helps on that platform?

If it does, perhaps we can take advantage of that solution, somehow, in 1Password for Mac, as well. (I'm not familiar enough with that aspect of the Mac version to know the details, myself, but we have plenty of folks here who are.)

• francisco
    francisco
    Community Member

@DBrown‌ it makes sense. I am wondering if 1Password file backup got corrupt and how this happened. I did a restore from an older backup and now 1Password works well on my Mac. Did you guys have reports of issues like this happening when a vault is shared using Google Drive?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've always warned against use of network share drives because (a) they tend to perform poorly, making 1Password sluggish and unresponsive, and (b) not all network share "systems" provide protection against simultaneous (and thus conflicting) access, which could lead to data corruption.

I expect to hear soon from Development about what steps we can recommend, but it sounds like you might have already resolved it by restoring from a backup.

Does the restored data also work as expected in 1Password for Windows?

This discussion has been closed.