Which sync tool do you use with Folder Sync ?

Options
thbar
thbar
Community Member

Hello,

I tried using AeroFS to get a LAN-only sync between my macs; it worked really well for some time, then I started having a conflict on content.js, and then the sync stopped (even after resolving the conflict).

Can anyone successfully using Folder Sync with a sync tool (not a NAS, preferably) mention their setup here?

I'm looking for an alternative - thanks for any hint!

And to AgileBits: do you have plans to offer a built-in WIFI/LAN sync between computers (rather than only between one mac and iOS)? Thank you!

-- Thibaut

Comments

• thbar
    thbar
    Community Member
    Options

I've been looking at BTSync and other similar solutions. Would love to know if anything is recommended more than another solution, to avoid issues like what I had with AeroFS.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Thibaut ( @thbar )

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with Folder Sync right now. While I can't provide many alternative solutions here (hopefully some of our members will be able to help you out with their set-ups!), I can suggest re-setting sync to give things a bit of a kickstart:

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    • Check the box to remove the data from Folder Sync and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Macs.

• Check your folder's location and ensure that the 1Password.agilekeychain was removed.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Folder Sync. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your chosen folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

Please note that in 1Password 4 your data is always stored locally and is copied to your sync location, so removing your 1Password.agilekeychain file is not going to remove your 1Password database.

As far as Wi-Fi between Macs go, it's a request in our issue tracker, and I'm happy to add your vote to the list. :)

• thbar
    thbar
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Megan,

thanks to your instructions, I was able to pinpoint the issue:

AeroFS is just not syncing anymore between the machines, for some unknown reason/

I'm going to try to unlink and reinstall everything, but maybe I'll just have to find a different setup.

I'll keep you updated here in case it helps someone else later.

Re: sync between macs - I'm definitely interested, given the issues I'm having here!

• thbar
    thbar
    Community Member
    Options

Woops - I tried BTSync. I had weird issues like the merging overwriting an up to date item by an older one (with stale password) from another computer.

I restored my data with the backups, luckily.

I think using a built-in feature made by AgileBits for that will be, well, more robust, probably.

I guess I'm going to stop experimenting for now!

Thanks for your help.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help!

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

I was following along the suggestions, and ended up a bit more confused. I have a Mac with newly installed 1P4. I also have an iPad with 1P also newly installed. I am in the midst of setting up the various features. I had not considered using folders for a sync, but was curious how to make the change from what is going on now with my sync.

On my Mac, the sync shows it is set up for iCloud. No problem with that, but I want to change to wifi sync (I use the devices in my home for the most part and have a lousy internet connectivity).

My query comes from what was described above about changing to wifi sync.

Just a short time ago, I attempted a wifi sync between the Mac and iPad. It worked fine. I used the Window menu, clicked on wifi sync, followed the instructions using the secret code etc. Seemed to work.

However, your instructions above described:

**On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    Check the box to remove the data from Folder Sync and confirm that you want to disable sync.

Restart the Macs.

Check your folder's location and ensure that the 1Password.agilekeychain was removed.

On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Folder Sync. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your chosen folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.__**

I am unclear about this process. It seemed like I now have two syncs?

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @OlMike,

The instructions above aren't for Wi-Fi sync, they are instructions for Folder sync.

From your post, it seems like you may be trying to setup Wi-Fi sync. Please let me know which one you meant. :)

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPad, I have iCloud sync set to ON.

I also have Dropbox sync set to ON.

They each seem to operate fine.

However, I am uncertain if I can simply switch these both to OFF and use wifi sync exclusively.

Conversely, can I use wifi sync as well as the others?

Finally, if I add an additional iOS device, will it be set to sync with the other two devices? (I have only one Apple ID and am the exclusive user of the the devices).

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @OlMike,

We recommend using only one sync method. Which one would you prefer to use?

• OlMike
    OlMike
    Community Member
    Options

I am torn between using wifi and folder sync........if that is a sync.

I had used iCloud at first, but when I attempted to create a test Secure Note with attachments, it would not sync properly. I deleted the Secure Note, followed instructions Megan had provided on another thread and started fresh. Works OKAY for now, but I am disappointed I lose the ability to sync attachments.

I can live with that for now as your developers improve on the functions of the app.

So, I am expecting that leaves me with wifi sync and folder sync.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Briefly, wifi sync does not currently sync attachments. Folder sync does but it's not really "sync", as you have to use iTunes to pass the keychain manually between the Mac and the iDevice. So (like me) you're rather between the devil and the deep blue sea!

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @OlMike,

As @JasperP mentioned, using only one sync method with 1Password for iOS is the current recommendation. If you still have both Dropbox and iCloud syncing enabled on your iPad then it's best to disable one or both of those. And the next update (coming soon!) will only allow one or the other to be selected. Plus its iCloud syncing will support attachments, resolving this issue for you:

I had used iCloud at first, but when I attempted to create a test Secure Note with attachments, it would not sync properly. I deleted the Secure Note, followed instructions Megan had provided on another thread and started fresh. Works OKAY for now, but I am disappointed I lose the ability to sync attachments.

If you've got iCloud syncing working now, minus attachments, I'm not sure why you'd be considering this:

So, I am expecting that leaves me with wifi sync and folder sync.

The iOS app can't sync with an Agile Keychain that's configured with folder syncing in the Mac app, unless it's finding it with Dropbox syncing configured. In that case the Mac app's folder syncing configuration is essentially the same as its Dropbox syncing configuration.

To summarize:

Using Dropbox syncing, attachments are currently supported. Using iCloud syncing, attachments will be supported with the next update. Using Wi-Fi syncing, attachments aren't currently supported and won't be with the next update (but its planned for a future update).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌, please excuse the intrusion asking for a minor clarification! You said:

The iOS app won't be able to access an Agile Keychain that's configured with folder syncing in the Mac app, unless it's finding it with Dropbox syncing configured. In that case the Mac app's folder syncing configuration is essentially the same as its Dropbox syncing configuration.

I'm sure I'm being obtuse but I didn't understand it. Are you saying that with the coming iOS update a keychain file produced on the Mac by folder sync can't be transferred (by iTunes) to and used by the iDevice?

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Stephen_C,

It's my confusing writing, not you being obtuse. Thanks for mentioning it!

I've changed "won't be able to access" to "can't sync with", hopefully differentiating Sync with … from Import from iTunes methods of accessing Agile Keychain data. The latter does and will continue to work.

[iTunes File Sharing is no longer available in 1Password for iOS. Version 4.5.2 now creates automatic backups that are accessible through iTunes. Restore capability will be coming in a future update.

Related topic: iTunes file sharing not available in version 4.5? [replaced by backups (4.5.2); restore in future]]

Still begging to be rewritten, and simplified by removing the part about folder and Dropbox syncing.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌ many thanks for the clarification. It's very great relief for someone who is determined to keep "sync" (using the word loosely) out of the Cloud but who still needs to ensure attachments are transferred over to iOS.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.