1PasswordAnywhere - Can I use it on a USB drive?

Options
byrnesyliam
byrnesyliam
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hi there, Just came into 1Password fam with the heartbleed sale after reading reviews for a few years!

Im wondering about whether I can use 1PasswordAnywhere on a USB? I sync using dropbox, so have played around that, but Im wondering about if I can sync the folder that enables a local 1pass.html file to open the vault, say I was out of wifi connectivity and needed to get into my vault??

Thanks for any assistance...

Liam

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @byrnesyliam,

Simply copy your .agilekeychain file to the USB flash drive.

To access 1PasswordAnywhere (once you have the Agile Keychain file on your USB drive), you will need to find the 1Password.html file inside the 1Password.agilekeychain file. You might have to right-click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file and choose Show Package Contents to find the html file.

It's also important to note that many browsers prevent loading files from the local file system. Since you're accessing 1PasswordAnywhere locally (on USB drive) rather than online through Dropbox, this will affect you.

If you are using Safari, you can disable local file restrictions:

• Open Safari
    • Click Safari > Preferences... in the menu bar
    • Go to the Advanced tab
    • Ensure Show Develop menu in menu bar is checked
    • Click Develop in the menu bar, then Disable Local File Restrictions

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• sguinness
    sguinness
    Community Member
    Options

Morning @JasperP, I would like to back-up my vault onto a USB flash drive, which I guess would also allow me to use 1Password on other people's computers. You say 'copy your .agilekeychain file to flash drive.' I used Spotlight search to look for this file, but I can't find it. Where am I going wrong?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@sguinness - the file you want is created by 1Password in your local Dropbox folder when you select Dropbox as your sync method. It's also synced to your Dropbox account in the cloud.

If you don't use Dropbox, and won't allow it even for the brief time it takes to created that file, I don't know if there is any alternative for creating it. If that's your issue, you'll need help from someone else.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @sguinness,

Similar to what hawkmoth said, you'll only find an Agile Keychain file if you use Dropbox or Folder syncing. If you are not currently syncing, or are using a different sync method (like iCloud), you can enable (or temporarily switch to) folder sync. That will allow you to choose a folder to create an Agile Keychain file in.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.