Mac 1Password Vault sync'd thru Dropbox not showing up in 1Password Windows

Options

I created a new Vault in 1Password 4 Mac beta. I'm syncing thru Dropbox to 1Password Windows 3 v1.0.9.340 (latest). The new Vault isn't showing up in the Windows version and the User Guide doesn't even mention Vaults. I want to share my primary Vault and a new Vault for my wife on her Windows 7 notebook, and let her access and use both vaults. Having her create all her stuff in the second Vault, won't potentially mess up stuff I have already created in the primary vault on my Mac.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Have you tried to open the new Vault manually? Please do this: File > Open 1Password Data, then navigate to your Dropbox, then open the newly created Vault.

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

As instructed by David Brown, I've shared MY Agilekeychain folder in MY Dropbox on my Mac, with my wife, for use on her 1Password for Windows. Prior to this, I had created a Dropbox account for her on the Windows 7 laptop. I'm not sure that 1Password for Windows is using the Agilekeychain file in her Dropbox, which I hadn't gotten to work, before David's advice. Not sure which Dropbox you mean by "your Dropbox." Tried what you said, but neither Vault's Master Password worked to manually open the Agilekeychain in my wife's Dropbox. My Master Password works within 1Password for Windows to open the primary Vault.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Assuming you have shared your agilekeychain with your wife's Dropbox account and the Windows 7 PC is logged into your wife's Dropbox account, then you should be able to open that agilekeychain here: File > Open 1Password Data, and then navigate to the Dropbox directory.

Is this a secondary vault on your Mac? If yes, then you need the secondary vault master password (not the primary vault master password) to unlock this thing on Windows.

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

This morning, I added a Secure Note to my Main Vault in 1Password 4 Mac beta. It appeared on both my 1Password iPhone and the Main (only) vault on Windows notebook. Also shared another existing Dropbox folder on Mac with wife's Windows notebook, which appeared in her Dropbox folder. However, I note that in wife's Dropbox folder, 1Password.agilekeychain shows Date modified of 4/18/14. When I try to manually open Dropbox 1Password.agilekeychain, I note that the data folder contains only a folder named "default", which I presume is the Primary Vault. Shouldn't another folder for the secondary vault, also be at the same level? I've verified that Master Password for secondary Vault is correct, as it works on the Mac. My primary vault password opens the primary fault in 1Password for Windows. If I tear out many more hairs, I'll end up "follically challenged Can AgileBits Happiness Engineers grow me new hair? :-)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

I note that the data folder contains only a folder named "default", which I presume is the Primary Vault

Every agilekeychain contains a sub-directory named "default". This isn't necessarily your primary Vault. Your secondary Vault also has a sub-directory named "default".

Are you sure you have turned on Dropbox sync for your secondary Vault on your Mac? By default, your secondary Vault does not sync to Dropbox.

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

No, wasn't aware that I had to separately enable Dropbox sync for the secondary vault. On the Mac, I used secondary vault Master Password to open it, then went to Prefs and set up Dropbox syncing. Then, I waited over 90 minutes for automatic Dropbox syncing, while both computers were online to broadband cable internet connection. Part of that time, I closed 1Password on the Mac, however, it was both on and off for an extended time. Nothing new appears in the Dropbox folder on the Windows 7 notebook. Neither entering the secondary vault Master Password directly, or first manually navigating to the agilekeychain through the 1Password for Windows File menu, worked. Nowhere, am I given a choice of vaults. HELP, please! :-)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing new appears in the Dropbox folder on the Windows 7 notebook

This makes be believe the Dropbox account you have set up on your Mac and the Dropbox account on the Windows notebook is not the same, or the agilekeychain in the Dropbox account on your Mac has not been shared with the Dropbox account on the Windows notebook.

Nowhere, am I given a choice of vaults

On Windows, you need to manually open another Vault here: File > Open 1Password Data

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

svondutch, your are correct that the Dropbox account I set up for my wife on her Windows 7 notebook, is a different Dropbox account than mine on my Mac. Thought it would be needed for 1Password for Windows. Then, I installed 1Password for Windows, but didn't proceed beyond the three choice screen on data files. When, I couldn't figure out how to get my 1Password 4 Mac (beta) file to work on Windows, I contacted David Brown, and thought I had correctly followed his instructions of April 17, which said "sounds like your wife uses a different Dropbox account on her PC than you're using on your Mac (and, indirectly, in iOS), Is that correct? (YES!) If so, it's really a good thing that she can't see your 1Password data. Each Dropbox account is an island, otherwise, anyone with a Dropbox account could see the files and folders of everyone else with a Dropbox account. (Yikes). Dropbox includes a nifty "share folder" feature, though, that offers the perfect solution to your problem" I proceeded to share my Agilekeychain folder in my Mac Dropbox account with her email address. When accepted, she was able to use my Primary 1Password 4 account, as I intended. I then created a new secondary Vault for her on the Mac, and have enabled syncing through Dropbox on that secondary Vault. My problem is that this secondary Vault I created for her stuff on Windows, isn't showing up there. Yes, I have have tried to manually open a vault under File>Open 1Password Data on Windows, however, there is no reference to more than one vault. Yes, I shared my Agilekeychain Mac Dropbox folder with her on Windows, and she can use my Primary Vault (want this for emergencies, but not for everyday use). So, how do I now fix things, so that she can use both Vaults on Windows? I would not want my entire Dropbox folder to appear on her Windows notebook, just the Agilekeychain. Please advise.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm guessing you need to share that secondary Vault with your wife's Dropbox account too. Otherwise, that secondary Vault is not going to turn up on the Windows 7 PC.

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

That may be the case. I noted that in MY Mac Dropbox, that at the same level were both the 1Password.Agilekeychain and a 1Password folder, and my wife's {secondary vault name}.agilekeychain was contained within it. Figuring that both vaults should be in the same 1Password Dropbox folder, I dragged my agilekeychain inside it. It is obvious that I shouldn't have done this, as 1Password Sync Prefs for each vault started blinking with a message that a new sync method would have to be selected. A was notified that a Sync had completed, then I was prompted to click Fix, which I think that I did. Then I was asked for permission to merge two vaults, which I declined. Before I tackle the original problem, I need to undue the apparent damage I caused. In the middle of this, I manually backup up my primary vault from within 1Password. What should I do to recover? :-)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MacPass I have lost overview of your problem. I'm going to ask @DBrown to give you a call.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're already in touch, @svondutch‌, and I'm following up with him by e-mail.

This discussion has been closed.