iTunes file sharing not available in version 4.5? [replaced by backup/restore function in v5]

Options
124»

Comments

• Razor3
    Razor3
    Community Member
    Options

So you have to create a new vault then you're able to restore from backup.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @Razor3‌. Yes, you're correct. In order to restore from a backup, you have to create a new vault first. I agree it would make sense to allow this from the setup screen. I will pass this on to our developers, thanks!

• ravibhatt
    ravibhatt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, this is unfortunately still not working for me so would very much appreciate some help please. I have tried to follow the instructions on:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/itunes-backups

It seems to keep getting stuck on the restore stage - never moves on from that screen. When I force close the app and restart, the 'Restore from Backup' option is greyed out. Am using the latest versions of the apps on both iOS and OS X, and the latest version of iTunes. Have still not been able to restore my vault created on Mac to iOS using iTunes - would be grateful for some help! Thanks.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ravibhatt‌. The backup file that you restore should end with .1p4_zip -- is that the case? If it doesn't, then you may be trying to restore an earlier backup format that won't work correctly.

To restore the backup, you need a folder named "Backups" with just one backup file inside, a file that ends in .1p4_zip. Then you need to copy that folder with the single backup inside into the iTunes File Sharing area for it to be available in 1Password for iOS.

• ravibhatt
    ravibhatt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @RobYoder‌, thanks so much for the quick response, much appreciated. I was previously trying to restore my .agilekeychain file rather than the .1p4_zip. This has now worked perfectly for me and am finally enjoying using 1P on iOS - thanks! It might be helpful to other users if this clarification was added to the guide at:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/itunes-backups

Thanks

• rob
    rob
    edited November 2014
    Options

Great to hear, @ravibhatt‌! I'll pass it on to our docs people and see what we can do. Thanks!

ref: DOCS-333

• Razor3
    Razor3
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I have 1Password for Mac and iOS. I edit on my Mac and read on iOS. All I want to do is take a copy of my vault on the Mac and put in on my iPhone without using any cloud service doing it. In the previous version the process was simple, use iTune File Sharing to copy the vault and 1Password for iOS would sync it.

This new version has added additional steps to the process. Every time I need to restore from a 1Password for Mac backup I have to delete the data in 1Password for iOS. The process has now become:

1. Copy backup file to iOS.
    2. Delete data from 1Password for iOS.
    3. Setup new vault.
    4. Restore from backup.

For some reason once 1Password for iOS will not accept new 1Password for Mac backups after the initial restore. I would copy over a new "backups" folder with the last 1Password for Mac backup overwriting the existing folder (there's no way to delete the existing folder) but 1Password for iOS will not let me restore it. The option is greyed.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @Razor3‌.

That is strange, and certainly shouldn't be the case. Have you tried force-quitting 1Password on your iOS device and reopening it, instead of erasing the data and creating a new vault?

Also make sure you're naming the folder "Backups" and not "backups" -- capitalization is important.

This discussion has been closed.