Feature Request: User-Defined "Legal" Symbols in Password Generator

Options
rtvanhook
rtvanhook
Community Member

This has been previously discussed, and I was sad not to see it in 1Password4.

Many sites (in particular US Government sites) require symbols as part of the password, but each has a different set of allowed symbols--probably due to different escape algorithms. Currently, I can't find a workaround other than to either a) edit the generated password, or b) keep regenerating until all symbols are allowed. Have you thought about at least allowing a choice between a "basic set" and an "extended set" of symbols? As you mentioned in your reply to a (now closed) discussion on this topic, there's plenty of entropy without symbols--so why not default to a "basic set" of symbols--without the exotic stuff that most sites won't allow--and stop making it such a pain in my backside to use the password generator?

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi rtvanhook,

Thanks for pointing this out and letting us know that this is something you would like to see! I agree, it would be pretty neat to have these choices. While we can't directly discuss our future plans, I have noted down your request and we will look into it!

• Hawkwind
    Hawkwind
    Community Member
    Options

I second this request. I'm coming from IronKey (IK) and it's ID Mgr (password manager) and it's got a generator that allows one to enter a list of symbols and remembers it and then has a check box to use them or not use symbols. I find the use of commas, semi colon, brackets, question mark, quotes, and many others are not valid at many sites. However, as you know, your generator defaults to using these a lot. IK's generator standalone and built into the browser's extension has this editable list of symbols. It also allows the editing of the generated password before I click the copy to clipboard button. Would be great to enhance 1Password with these 2 features for ease of use and additional flexibility! Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hawkwind‌

Thanks so much for adding your vote here. I've passed your thoughts along to our developers.

Please note that you can in fact edit a generated password before copying to clipboard. Just click inside the password field to make any necessary changes. :)

This discussion has been closed.