New Login form will only generate pronounceable password

Options
laeryn
laeryn
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Every time I go to create a new login on 1Password 4.5 for iOS, it won't generate an alphanumeric password. It will only generate a pronounceable password no matter what settings I change. It's not too big of a deal, but help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you unchecked the Pronounceable box in the password recipe dialog? You may have to actively open the dialog up by clicking on the Password Recipe button on the bottom of the dialog.

• laeryn
    laeryn
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

There is no box for me to uncheck in the password recipe dialogue. I have attached an image below.

• laeryn
    laeryn
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Sorry, hold on, let me attach a large photo.

• laeryn
    laeryn
    Community Member
    Options
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Ah - I apologize. I was thinking of the OS X version, not the iOS version. My mistake. I don't see an option to turn off pronounceable passwords either. And on my iPhone, the generated passwords are not pronounceable. Go figure.

• davebarfoot
    davebarfoot
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. The previous version I had installed had the check-box for pronounceable passwords.

On my iPhone (where the last password I generated was pronounceable) it's now stuck on pronounceable, on my iPad (where the last password I generated was non-pronounceable) it's stuck on non-pronounceable.

I'm guessing we just need the check-box re-instated in the next update (petty please!)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would seem plausible based on davebarfoot's post to assume that despite the checkbox being removed, the app is still remembering the previous setting.

While you wait, if pronounceable passwords are a deal breaker and as long as you have copies of your database safely stored, I would wager that going down the route of deleting 1Password from your phone and starting from scratch would eliminate this problem. The key part is being 100% confident that you have your passwords backed up safely given some of the posts at the moment of things going out of sync with iCloud and Dropbox. Obviously this is the suggestion of a user and not somebody from AgileBits.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

per @davebarfoot‌

I'm having the same problem. The previous version I had installed had the check-box for pronounceable passwords... I'm guessing we just need the check-box re-instated in the next update (petty please!)

+1 for option in password recipe to select (or un-select) pronounce-able passwords (as well as hyphens and other features found in OS X passwords). In my case, I desperately want option to use pronounce-able passwords for things like airline frequent flyer logins, which I occasionally need while travelling when I have to use a public computer (when I don't have cellular data or wifi) - I would find it veryconvenient to look up password on my phone and type it into the computer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @laeryn, @davebarfoot‌, @littlebobbytables‌ and @somainer‌

This is a known issue that our developers are already working to solve. I'm sorry that it's causing you trouble, and we'll do our best to get it sorted out just as soon as possible!

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :)

• laeryn
    laeryn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you guys for all your help! I really appreciate it!

• rapcal
    rapcal
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Please speed up this bug fix release... :-S

It's a pretty big feature that's gone missing.

• Dominique Longfellow D Richardson
    edited April 2014
    Options

and if you notice there isn't any numbers as well, I would like to be able to generate a password that use both numbers and all special characters on my iphone. oh yea and a generate button so i don't have to use the slider

• Jasper
    Options

Sorry for any inconvenience everyone. Our developers are already working to solve this issue, and we're doing our best to get it fixed as soon as possible!

• rapcal
    rapcal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @JasperP‌ !

• cannoneer
    cannoneer
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so what is the status of this? It's been OVER A MONTH and it will not allow me to use symbols (other than the dash) or numbers, because it's stuck on requiring a pronounceable password. I bought your product because it was (allegedly) the gold standard in password management...and for over a month we are unable to generate strong passwords to the specifications required by some sites.

I WAS a happy user of your product, until this last update. How long does it take for your developers to re-institute a check box? what else are they spending their time on? NO NEW FEATURES UNTIL YOU FIX THE BROKEN ONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

• cannoneer
    cannoneer
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and I've gone and changed my rating on iTunes to 1 star until this mess is fixed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cannoneer‌

I sincerely apologize that this issue is frustrating you. I'm happy to say though that our developers have managed to squash this bug! Version 4.5.2 was released in the App Store on May 31. This update should have the password generator behaving properly for you.

Please confirm that you have updated to the latest version of 1Password and let me know if you are still seeing odd behaviour here. You can find the version number on the Settings pane.

• iwc
    iwc
    Community Member
    Options

I am running version 4.5.2 on my iPhone. Generated passwords are not pronounceable, but there is no toggle for pronounceable passwords in the Password Recipe dropdown. Is it ever coming back?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

In the post above yours, @Megan said this problem was solved in version 4.5.2. But like you, I don't see any option to make passwords pronounceable either. The other usual options do show, but not that one.

Edit: I'm back to say that in my case, passwords on my iPhone are not pronounceable, and there is no option to switch back. Others seem to be stuck on pronounceable and can't switch the other way. In the os x version, there is check box allow the user to toggle the switch on and off.

• scarter
    scarter
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Since updating, I can no longer select pronounceable passwords.

• KF1
    KF1
    Community Member
    Options

+1 . For me it's stuck on unpronounceable, no option to change it. Running 4.5.2.
    I have to type this pwd about a dozen times a day, the unpronouncable one is a major pain!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iwc, @hawkmoth, @scarter, Jim and @KF1,

I apologize that my earlier statement was misleading. We heard from a lot of users who were frustrated by this bug, so the developers' temporary solution has been to remove the pronounceable option from the password generator, pending a proper resolution of the bug. Unfortunately, I can't say much about when the pronounceable option might be reinstated, but I've updated the issue in our tracker to let the developers know that there is interest in bringing this feature back.

Thanks for your patience, please let me know if you have any further questions!

• kitcatsplat
    kitcatsplat
    Community Member
    Options

Created an account here to lend my support to adding this feature back. Most of my passwords have been long pronoucibles in the past, so re-enabling this feature would be great since I try to change my passwords every so often and doing so within the app made it a lot easier..

Is this the best place to show support for adding this back or is there another location better suited for feature requests?

Also, thanks for the link Jim. That site makes some pretty decent pronouncible passwords in the meantime.

• Ben
    Options

@kitcatsplat‌

Thanks for the vote! This is the best place to send feedback, yes.

• josharian
    josharian
    Community Member
    Options

I sorely miss being able to create a pronounceable password from my phone. It is easily my primary pain point with 1password at this point. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @josharian,

Thanks for the feedback! I've added your vote to the issue in our internal tracker.

internal reference number: OPI-1056

• kr12
    kr12
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Speedy resolution would be really appreciated. Thanks

• Thanks for the feedback, @kr12. I've added you comments to the issue in our internal tracker. :)

This discussion has been closed.