Mac works, but PC doesn't?

Options

I have Mac, PC, iPhone and iPads all using 1Password and syncing data thru Dropbox. The sync works fine and all the data is the same on all devices.

I am having a strange problem on my wife's PC. I can login to Vanguard's website from my Mac and iPad, but it tells me I have the wrong password when log gin in via her PC. I checked the User ID and Password on her PC and they are correct. Very strange. To complicate matters, Vanguard puts the User ID on one web page, then puts their password box on a different page. I have that working fine on my Mac and iPad, but for some reason, it won't work on her PC.

I'm not sure what's going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lou

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Please create a duplicate of the Login item for the Vanguard web site.

Edit that duplicate, replacing ALL personal data (username, password, and anything else) with something generic like "MyUsername" and "MyPassword."

Select that duplicate in the list area.

Choose File > Export, and set the options to 1PIF and Selected items.

Attach the resulting .1pif file to an e-mail message to us (support+windows@agilebits.com), and include a link to this forum topic.

Thanks!

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DBrown…

I have prepared the 1pif file per your instructions. I noticed that the duplicate file retains my password history. Before I email the file to you, I wanted to know if the 1pif file retains my password history? I am assuming it does not, but I wanted to be sure that is scrubbed from the file before transmitting it.

Thanks, Lou

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Good catch, @Ibdina! It does include your password history, and 1Password 1 for Windows doesn't give you a way to clear of delete the history.

Before sending it to us, you might want to do this:

1. Open the .1pif file in a plain-text editor, such as Notepad.

2. Look at the end of the record for something like this:

..."passwordHistory":[{"value":"a-previous-password","time":1398726584}]...

3. Carefully replace the previous password with something generic, like old-password-was-here, making sure you leave the quotation marks and everything else around it in place.

4. Save the file, and send it to us.

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@DBrown...OK, an email is on its way, with two 1pif files and an explanation of the problem. Hope my email is clear and complete.

Lou

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've received them, Lou. I'll follow up with you by e-mail from that support address.

Thanks!

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

Solution...Thank you David Brown at 1Password.

On my PC (using Firefox), the solution at present is to turn off automatic submit. Submitting the user ID and password manually seems to work fine. This is with a two page login process, like they have at Vanguard.com. The first page asks for your user ID, and the second page asks for your password. For whatever reason, it bombed when I had auto submit enabled. When I set these login items to Never auto submit, they worked fine. The other logins are still set to auto submit, but the 2-page logins are edited to require s manual click on the website's submit button.

Just wanted to close the loop. Auto submit works fine on my Mac and on my ipad, but it failed on my wife's PC.

I'll live with the above solution gladly.

Thanks again, David, for helping me to sove it!

Lou

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That’s great news, Lou—thanks for letting us know!

Auto-submit works fine in 1Password for Windows, but different sites' different coding presents different obstacles on the different platforms, and disabling auto-submit is always worth a try (as is enabling auto-type, in other cases).

This discussion has been closed.