Problem after upgrade — "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" [try reinstalling app]

Options
stevent
stevent
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

After updating 1Password to the latest version, 1Password starts with an error: 'Can't connect to 1Password mini' Then the app just shuts down. Restarting the app or even the computer doesn't help.

EDIT: Please see post #40 for the solution.

Comments

• spencerogden
    spencerogden
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Latest update of 1Password on OS X 10.9.2. Starting 1Password doesn't start Mini (no icon in menu bar). After waiting for a minute or so, 1Password gives up and asks you to quit, saying it can't connect to Mini. As above, I also tried restarting the mac with no effect.

This renders 1Password unusable at the moment.

• rghammonds
    rghammonds
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly, your proposed work around is impossible since the 1Password menu is unavailable while it looks for the mini (Activity Monitor says: unresponsive), then greyed out after it posts the "Can't connect" message. The only option is to quit. How about a complete uninstall and reinstall?

• stevent
    stevent
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. No option to do anything while 1Password is looking voor mini.

• gupo
    gupo
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. The suggested solution does not work.

• PJBogaard
    PJBogaard
    Community Member
    Options

Me too, stuck to the old version. Hopefully there will be a solution soon!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rghammonds‌, @stevent, and @gupo,

I'm so sorry to hear that this didn't work for you. We'll need to take a closer look to figure out what's going on here. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PJBogaard‌

I'm sorry that you're having trouble here! If you are having the same issue as the users above, please send us a Diagnostic Report as in my previous post.

However, you mention being stuck on the old version - could you elaborate a bit? Are you using 1Password 3 or 1Password 4? How can we help get you back on track? :)

• stevent
    stevent
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I've sent a diagnostic report.
    I must note that this problem occurs both on my iMac and my MacBook Pro.

• gupo
    gupo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I have sent my diagnostics report as requested.

I am using MacBook Pro w/Retina display. I have not experienced any problems with the IOS versions of 1 Password which were also updated to the latest version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevent,

Thanks for sending that Report in! I was unable to find an email in our system from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down. :)

Hi @gupo,

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

• spencerogden
    spencerogden
    Community Member
    Options

I submitted a Diagnostic Report for this issue

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your email with the report arrived okay, @spencerogden -- thanks! We'll be replying as soon as possible to continue helping you resolve this problem.

• stevent
    stevent
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I've corrected my e-mail in my profile here. You should be able to find my report now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevent,

Thanks so much for that - I've found your Report now, and attached the relevant forum details. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

• PiedmontPauper
    PiedmontPauper
    Community Member
    Options

This evening I also submitted a Diagnostic Report for the same issue.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @PiedmontPauper,

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

• jacobrl
    Options

I have same problem after migrate local user to AD user account. 1P4 is the only software doesn't works :-(( I have also submitted Diagnostic report

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've got your email with the report, @jacobrl - thanks! We'll follow up with you directly in email with help for resolving this problem.

• Bafonso1
    Bafonso1
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings folks,

2 days ago i got a problem with my 1password on a Macbook Air.
    When I start the application I always get the same error message: " 1Password can't connect to 1Password mini"
    Not sure if it's the right error message because i use the french version but something like that.
    I removed all extension and uninstalled 1Password but i always get the same error.

I would be happy if someone can help me to fix this problem :)

Thanks!

• terrynorbury
    terrynorbury
    Community Member
    Options

I got this message upon installing the last Beta update. At this point I cannot open 1 Password directly or via the browser. Looks like I need the same help.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Does post #3 in this thread help at all?

Stephen

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Bafonso1 and @terrynorbury,

If the suggestion that Stephen linked to doesn't help, please try re-installing the app completely:

• Open your Applications folder
    • Locate the 1Password 4.app in the list
    • Drag it to the trash can.

• Please don't use any uninstaller applications, these may remove more than just the application, such as your data. We do not recommend that. We only want to remove the application, none of the extra items.
    • After dragging it to the trash, please empty your trash, then reboot your computer.

• After the reboot, please download a fresh copy of 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads
      • Once downloaded, unzip if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder. Then double click to run it.
      • Or, if you use the Mac App Store version, re-download 1Password from the Mac App Store purchased page.

If that doesn't work, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

• Bafonso1
    Bafonso1
    Community Member
    Options

My problem is now resolved, thanks for your help !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bafonso1‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• gpacifici
    gpacifici
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue and JasperP fix did not work for me. However, I was able to resolve the problem by force quitting the 1Password app after it displays the "... I cannot connect to 1Passoword mini message..." (don't click the "OK" button). I hope it helps others.
    I have 1Password 4.4.1 and MacOS 10.9.3 Giovanni

• Jasper
    Options

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now! Thanks for sharing your solution. :)

• brentm
    brentm
    Community Member
    Options

I've had the same problem... just like lots of people here. Glad this forum post was a popular one and glad I had the ios version too so that I had access to my passwords. I had to do a delete and reinstall. How could you release an update with such a problem. Not impressed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brentm,

Did you have this problem after updating to 4.4.1? We're investigating why it could still be happening and do apologize for the inconvenience.

• JonasMuc
    JonasMuc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes today with the version 4.4.1 i got the same error message.
    Do you want the report?
    I fixed that issue with remove the app and "install" the app again (fresh download).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @JonasMuc. It's okay not to send a report since app reinstallation fixed the problem for you. We would still like to get reports when that doesn't work, as @JasperP mentioned earlier in post #24.

This discussion has been closed.