Autofill puts wrong userid? (on citi.com page)

Options
tomb4201
tomb4201
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I have a login where the autofill apparently does not put the right userid. the userid that goes into the userid for the page login is shorter than the one in the 1Password login. If I copy the userid and password from the 1Password login it works fine, but if I let autofill do it it fails. the userid in the login is 8 characters, but the userid the autofill puts in is only 4 characters (the first and last character and only two asterisks). What's up?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @jtomb4201,

Could you please try saving a new login manually on that page:

Saving a new Login manually

If that doesn't work, please post the URL of the problem page so we can investigate. :)

• tomb4201
    tomb4201
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly even the manual login creation still fills the userid with a truncated value. The web site is:
    https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do

I actually have two accounts there, one works, the other does not. My 1Password login shows 8 characters, but when it populates the login field it populates with T**2 (the first and last characters are correct) which fails.

• Jasper
    Options

Please try editing your Citi login in the 1Password app, and ensure the correct (non-truncated) username is saved there.

• tomb4201
    tomb4201
    Community Member
    Options

Did that. As you can see from my initial post, the login in 1Password has the correct userid. Edited the login, deleted and recreated the login, still no joy. If I copy and paste the login/pw from the login in the 1Password recored, it works. If I let 1Password fill it in, it truncates the userid. Have captured the login and the 'autofill' and attached them in this pdf.

• tomb4201
    tomb4201
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if that pdf is viewable... Will try to attach a jpeg of the same info.image

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @tomb4201‌

Thanks for getting back to us with that extra information. Please take a look at the webform details of your Login.

I'm guessing that when you edited the username in the entry, you did so only in the visible 'username' field at the top of the entry. The tricky part here is that the webform details are the actual details that 1Password uses to fill the site. Because Citibank obscures your username, the asterisks will get saved instead of your proper username when manually saving a Login. (This is why copying your details from the fields at the top will work, but using ⌘\ to fill will not.)

Please change the the username in the webform details to your actual username. This should get things filling properly!

• tomb4201
    tomb4201
    Community Member
    Options

Well, not sure what is going on, here's my web form details, which seems to show the right userid, but this same web form still puts the wrong info into the userid field... What else can I try?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomb4201‌

Thanks so much for including that screenshot. Perhaps my earlier post was not clear, and I apologize for that. The screenshot I shared showed how 1Password copies the asterisks that Citibank puts over your username instead of copying the actual username.

I'm pretty sure your username is not supposed to have all those asterisks in it? Please edit the 'User_ID' field to your proper username and let me know if that makes things better. (I'll get a better screenshot there so I don't confuse anyone else who visits this thread!)

• tomb4201
    tomb4201
    Community Member
    Options

Ahah! That seems to have fixed it. Will keep watching for places where 1Password captures the userid with asterisks in it instead of the actual userid. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomb4201,

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome.

I actually have two accounts there, one works, the other does not. My 1Password login shows 8 characters, but when it populates the login field it populates with T**2 (the first and last characters are correct) which fails.

With autosubmit disabled, you can see asterisks in the User ID field on the Citi page after filling and clicking in it will reveal the actual characters. At some point your second (non-working) item containing asterisks in its username field may have been "accidentally" created right after filling with your original (working) item while the asterisks were still visible in the page's User ID field.

Something like that is just my hunch of what happened. Whatever did, I'm glad to hear you've fixed it now! :)

• mackworth
    mackworth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

So, this is really irritating on Citibank's part, and I've sent them a note. when you type your username (e.g. john) manually, they change it to j**n. So when 1password fills in the correct name, they also change it to j**n. 1Password notes that you logged in with a different username and offers to update the login, which would be incorrect behavior. Naturally it does this every single time i log in. Given that I have two credit card accounts with Citi, which they will not let me put under one username), I have to keep switching back and forth; very annoying.

They maintain two fields, masked and unmasked and call a JS function maskuserID in loginBox.js. Is there any chance of 1password recognizing this scenario and not updating the id if the middle part is being replaced by asterisks?

<div id="cA-cardsLoginUseridInput" class="cA-cardsLoginItem cA-DD-cardsloginItem" aria-hidden="false">
        <label for="cA-cardsUseridMasked">
            <span class="ada-hide">User ID</span>
            <input class="cA-DD-input-login" id="cA-cardsUseridMasked" type="text" maxlength="50" placeholder="User ID" name="User ID">
        </label>
        <input id="cA-cardsUseridUnmasked" name="USERNAME" type="hidden">

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mackworth,

Thanks for your feedback (to us) about these troublesome username fields Citbank sign in pages and making the effort of reporting them (to them).

when you type your username (e.g. john) manually, they change it to j**n. So when 1password fills in the correct name, they also change it to j**n.

Seems to be consistent across most of their sign in pages.

1Password notes that you logged in with a different username and offers to update the login, which would be incorrect behavior. Naturally it does this every single time i log in. Given that I have two credit card accounts with Citi, which they will not let me put under one username), I have to keep switching back and forth; very annoying.

As a workaround to stop the auto-save window prompting there, you could add cit.com and citibank.com to the (except on the following domains) list for Automatically ask to save new Logins in the Browser tab of the main application Preferences window:

They maintain two fields, masked and unmasked and call a JS function maskuserID in loginBox.js. Is there any chance of 1password recognizing this scenario and not updating the id if the middle part is being replaced by asterisks?

I'll include your suggestion with ideas we have for handling in a future update of the 1Password extension.

Thanks again!

ref: OPX-297

This discussion has been closed.