Any chance of a Windows 8.1 "Metro" version?

Thack
Thack
Community Member

I've just discovered and bought 1Password for Windows (8.1) and think it's great. However, it doesn't play very well at all with the "Metro" (or "Modern" ) store apps. There are a number of issues:

1/ It doesn't seem to integrate at all with the Metro version of IE11 (no sign of Ctrl+\ working)

2/ The absence of a Metro version makes it awkward to use Metro's split-screen feature, with 1Password in one pane and the Metro browser in the other, which would be the logical arrangement. Instead you have to split the screen between your browser and the desktop, with 1Password open on the desktop and positioned to be visible. Messy, to be honest.

3/ When arranged as above, with the screen split between the desktop and Metro, the Auto-Type feature won't send the characters from the desktop 1Password program to the Metro browser. Instead, you have to use copy and paste, which is much less convenient.

I realise Metro may impose certain technical restrictions in terms of the points listed, but I'm convinced something useful could be done.

Any chance you guys might be persuaded?

Steve

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password is a program, rather than an app, so it's likely to run only in Desktop mode and requires your browsers do the same. If you've gotten it to run at all in Metro mode, you're further along in your tests than we are. :/

The very little testing we've been able to do on tablets has been exclusively with 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development. If you're interested, you can join the thousands of people already working with 1Password 4 for Windows by signing up for the beta program here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

If we do manage to figure out a way to run 1Password in Metro mode, I feel certain it would be 1Password 4; I haven't heard any plan to look into that, at this time, though.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I haven't got it to run in Metro mode, only desktop mode. With my PC being a hybrid laptop/tablet I'm always switching between Metro and desktop modes, and am entirely comfortable with both, including using them simultaneously in split-screen mode.

However, for general browsing in tablet mode I find I prefer the Metro browser, which is why I would love to have a Metro version of 1Password.

I think there is no doubt that Metro will become more popular as time goes by, especially for tablets and hybrids, so I'm hoping you might pass the word up that a Metro-friendly version would be timely!

Thanks again,
    Steve (Thack)

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

David, I've signed up for the beta, but when I click on the link that was sent to me in the "Confirm your subscription" email, I get an "Address not found" error.

I won't post the whole link unless you ask me to, but it begins: http://email.agilewebsolutions.com/xxxxxxxxx

Could you help?

Thanks,

Steve

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, it seems that server is down, temporarily. I'm assured that "they're working on it." :/

We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you try again, periodically.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

All working again. Thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @Thack—thanks for letting us know!

• urban_rockstar
    urban_rockstar
    Community Member

I totally agree with Thack. Not having a version that runs on Windows 8.1 as a Metro app materially compromises the utility of the app across devices for users that use multiple platforms, and for the increasing number of Windows tablet users. For the high price of this software, I'm disappointed at the lack of commitment to build versions for all current, major platforms.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password works great in Windows 8.1, the most current version of the major Windows platform. It just requires Desktop mode to achieve the level of browser integration that is a key element of its functionality.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

• omzaz
    omzaz
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

@DBrown‌

Why is the inability to integrate with the browser used a reason not to build a metro version of 1Password? As far as I can tell, the 1Password iOS app does not integrate with Safari (at least not prior to iOS8), the 1Password Android app does not integrate with Chrome, and the 1Password Windows Phone app does not integrate with IE. Yet you still build limited (relative to the Windows & Mac desktop) apps for all these platforms.

1Password does work really well Windows 8.1 desktop, but when I'm using a keyboard-less device with an 11" or smaller screen (particularly down at 8"), I don't want to be going to the desktop. I also don't want to have to install Dropbox on the desktop (like you don't have to install Dropbox on iOS, Android, or Windows Phone to use the Dropbox syncing in 1Password).

I'd be happy with a simple touch-friendly metro version of 1Password that just enables me to sync with Dropbox and manually copy passwords to paste into other apps (like how the Windows Phone app behaves).

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @omzaz,

Why is the inability to integrate with the browser used a reason not to build a metro version of 1Password? As far as I can tell, the 1Password iOS app does not integrate with Safari (at least not prior to iOS8), the 1Password Android app does not integrate with Chrome, and the 1Password Windows Phone app does not integrate with IE. Yet you still build limited (relative to the Windows & Mac desktop) apps for all these platforms.

It's not a reason not to have a metro version, it is a reason why 1Password is the way it is right now without being able to convert it to a metro app. A metro app cannot integrate with the desktop apps, it is sandboxed and have severe restrictions that normal desktop apps don't have.

In order for us to build a metro version of 1Password, we have to do a separate version and build it from the ground up. 1Password was built in an environment and language that does not carry over to the Metro mode as it was built long before Metro was even released to the public. That's in fact why 1Password can run on XP, Vista, (these previous two are not officially supported but will run), Windows 7 and Windows 8, the biggest market share of them all. Windows 8/8.1 is still barely less than a quarter of the market share and even smaller with the RT version.

We are not saying that an RT version of 1Password is never coming, we'd love to do one. It's a matter of time and resources, right now we have higher priority items to finish on the regular version of 1Password before we can work on a Metro version in the future.

I'd be happy with a simple touch-friendly metro version of 1Password that just enables me to sync with Dropbox and manually copy passwords to paste into other apps (like how the Windows Phone app behaves).

It is not that simple, 1Password must be able to decrypt your data. That means we must build a crypto library inside the metro app to decrypt, read your data, and format it for your viewing, that's just the bare minimal as a read-only app. We cannot copy these code from the desktop app into the metro app to do these, they have to be rebuilt, and then secured.

There might be a way to pass the data from the desktop app to metro interface but the question then is, can such data passing be done securely without anybody being able to listen into it? We don't know, that will require a lot of investigation and time.

• omzaz
    omzaz
    Community Member

@MikeT‌

Thanks for the answer. I do hope you get round to building a Metro app from the ground up soon (and updating the Windows Phone app). The lack of Metro app is the reason I continually consider switching to one of your competitors who do provide full cross-platform support.

I also wonder whether you have considered providing a touch-friendly mode for the desktop app (a gui mode providing bigger targets for selecting entries, and bigger copy password buttons, etc). Whilst this would still run on the desktop, it would at least be easier to use on small (8-10") tablets. I am still using version 1 of the desktop app, so please let me know if this is something that has already been added to version 4.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Windows does not include touch-screen capability, mostly because few Windows desktops include touch-screens. :)

We hope you'll be happy with the future of 1Password for Windows and that you'll either stick with it or come back to a future version.

Thanks so much for using 1Password!

• _stef_
    _stef_
    Community Member

Hi

I agree with @omzaz : even a limited version (view/edit data, synchronize via Dropbox...) would be useful to Windows 8.1 users.
    Windows Store (Metro App) would increase possibility of deployment at work (installation of a Desktop version is usually blocked by IT admins)
    Also, I would have thought that Metro Apps and Windows Phone Apps would share close underlying technologies.

Stef

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Thanks for letting us know your preference, @_;stef_‌!

This discussion has been closed.