Malware Invasion- What To Do Next?

Options
ricksullivan
ricksullivan
Community Member
edited June 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1Password. I have clicked on an email attachment regarding a missed delivery which could be malware according to the United States Postal Service. I just scanned for virus or malware and found nothing. But should I "gut" my 1Password and it's contents to be safe? In other words, should change my 1Password login/password and follow that with changes to every password I have on record? I'd like to avoid that if possible since that's why I got 1Password to begin with. But I'm afraid the enemy could be lurking inside my firewall rather than on the other side of it.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @ricksullivan,

Your 1Password data is stored encrypted on your drive, so even if you're infected, it won't have access to your username/passwords out of the box because it won't be able to understand your credentials without knowing your master password.

Your master password is not stored anywhere on your drive. 1Password cannot decrypt anything without knowing your master password that's in your head. The same is true for anybody who has copies of your data file, they can't do anything without guessing what your password is.

So, you don't have to change your passwords at all, assuming your master password is a strong one.

One thing you can do is upload your email attachment (don't double-click on it) if you still have it to the online anti-virus tool here: https://www.virustotal.com

It'll scan that attachment with dozens of anti-virus tools and see if it is infected or not.

This discussion has been closed.