Frustrated with 1password

Options

I have spent almost the whole day trying to figure out how this works. it is 8:00pm and I haven't made any progress. Why is this so complicated. Tried all day previously just to get the 1password to show up in my tool bar. Still doesn't

Comments

• Niclas Ullbrand
    Niclas Ullbrand
    Community Member
    Options

You need to provide a bit more information. Browser? Sync? Version?

• Brenda Hollamon
    Brenda Hollamon
    Community Member
    Options

Google chrome is the browser on windows 7.

• Brenda Hollamon
    Brenda Hollamon
    Community Member
    Options

If you have to know all of this just to use 1password it is not for the average user. Too technical to be user friendly

• Andrew_AG
    Andrew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brenda. I'm really sorry to hear 1Password is causing you trouble. Our phone team would be happy to offer you a phone call to see if we can get 1Password working properly for you. If you're interested, please send an email to support@agilebits.com requesting a call, and we'll send you instructions to schedule a call (and even a screen sharing session if you'd like). Please include the URL of this forum post somewhere in the email as well, so we know it's you. Once again, I'm very sorry you're having trouble with 1Password, but I believe we should be able to help you get it working for you.

• Rob 1234
    Rob 1234
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree that 1Password is not for the casual user. It takes quite a bit of time for learning, setup, fixing, etc. One of the worst things is the documentation is not up to date. Being referred to posts here should not take the place of proper instructions.

I use 1Password all the time, and could not live without it. But there are lots of things I don't like and have trouble with. I am not happy being second class because I use Windows and not Mac, and being even in a lower class because I use IE. There are a lot of Windows/IE users in the world, but they are not a priority to 1Password. Maybe with the new version coming out.

Personally, I have never recommended 1Password to anyone. Not because my friends don't need it - they certainly do. I just don't want to spend all the time I would need to, just to get them started. And the follow-up help later.

I really do want to like 1Password more than I do. It is just so difficult.

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member
    Options

Take the call Brenda. I had a call and it clarified a lot and helped me to undrstand how things work. I have the same set up as yourself, but alsoi with iPad4 to sync with.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Brenda, I agree with Alex here, you should take the call. We'd love to talk to you about this and we can learn what we can do to reduce the complexity of the app.

@Rob 1234‌:

One of the worst things is the documentation is not up to date. Being referred to posts here should not take the place of proper instructions.

I agree and we've recently expanded our docs team to make sure we stay up to date on this. We have many goals we need to knock out in order to provide a better 1Password experience, not just docs but also simplifying our apps, provide video tutorials, and so.

I am not happy being second class because I use Windows and not Mac, and being even in a lower class because I use IE. There are a lot of Windows/IE users in the world, but they are not a priority to 1Password. Maybe with the new version coming out.

1Password 4 for Windows will be a major improvement in that area, we've also overhauled the IE experience which will now be consistent with all browsers as well.

We'd love to hear your feedback on 1Password 4 if you'd like to join our beta project here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

The more we hear from our beta testers, the quicker we can get 1Password 4 in the situation where you can finally recommend 1Password to your friends.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Brenda Hollamon‌,

Like you I've just recently discovered 1Password. I looked at various competitors, read various comparison tests, and I think we've both made the right choice.

Despite being extremely old (a heady 56) I'm slightly geeky when it comes to computers, having been using them and programming them for thirty years. Thus I didn't run into any significant difficulties with 1P. HOWEVER, I have to agree that it does feel a bit more "techie" than some of the alternatives. Having said that, it's clear that the 1P folks are doing double time on getting it polished up, slick and easy.

I think that if you can hang in there for a little while it will soon get much easier and generally smoother. By then you'll be glad you went with 1P! :-)

My mum is 79 and one of the tests I use for software is "Would I recommend it to her?". Right now the answer is "No" - I think she'd struggle a bit.

Over the past week or so I've been watching the 1P team in action dealing with bug reports and feature requests on the beta Windows software, and they are very impressive: responsive, open-minded, and fast. That's what gives me so much confidence that, in their hands, the slightly unpolished diamond that 1P currently is will soon be a very good product indeed.

Steve

• MikeT
    Options

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback, @thack. We really appreciate you sharing that with us. We definitely will keep working on polishing our precious diamond.

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenda - I only installed 1Password on Windows & MAC yesterday, and agree its not super intuitive, but it seems like a great product. I still have a lot to figure out yet, but for the basic use with the browser I found this helpful - http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/3_minute_expert.html

I also needed to post a request for help on the discussion forum and got an very quick response from Jasper to resolve my question.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is dead, long live 1Password!

• MikeT
    Options

:P

Thanks for sharing that with us. 1Password 4 has been released and it should provide a better experience than the previous one. We'll keep improving the app based on the feedback we're getting here, so please keep sending them in.

This discussion has been closed.