Multiple vaults

Options

Ok.. I hope I am not misunderstanding this.

In the new 1Password v4 app for iPhone, I have two vaults that sync to dropbox without issue. I can switch between the vaults in the app without needing to enter the master password for each vault each time I switch.

In my 1Password for Windows. In the V1 program, when I switched vaults,i had to enter the master password for the vault as I switched between them. Plus the browser plugin would only ever work with my main vault.

I downloaded 1Password 4 and installed it. when I launched it and entered in my license key, it had all my password data in both vaults. However, I still have to enter the master password when I switch vaults. I had thought this wouldn't be necessary any longer.. Ie I open 1Password 4 and it opens to my main vault, after I enter that master password. If I want to switch to my secondary vault, I had thought it would just switch. I haven't tested out the new browser plug-in yet.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

On Windows, all vaults are treated equal (the concept of primary vs. secondary vaults does not exist) and that is why you'll need to enter secondary vault master password when you switch to it.

Please note switching from vault A to vault B is a lot simpler with version 4 -- and the version 4 browser extension supports it too!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch is there any possibility of having multiple vaults unlocked at once? The work flow I'm imaging is:

1) Configure a list of vaults, specifying one as default.

2) When you load the app it opens the default vault and asks for the MP. There should be a vault selector on the unlock screen to allow vault switching.
    3) Once a vault is unlocked, you can using the vault selector to switch vaults.
    4) If switching to vault that has no been unlocked then the lock screen appears.

5a) Enter the MP for the selected vault and it opens.
    6a) You can now switch between the two vaults without entered either MP.

5b) Use the vault selector to switch back to the original vault. Since it is still unlocked, the lock screen disappears and the app unlocks.
    6b) Since the second vault have had it's MP entered, it remains locked so selecting it again from the vault selector will return to step 4.

7) Click the lock button on the toolbar locks all open vaults and displays the lock screen. Obviously, this would apply to all autolocks and a lock pushed from the browser helper.
    8) Return to step 2.

That way you do not have vaults tied together where the secondary vaults are dependent on the primary being unlocked.
    It allows you to have multiple vaults accessible without the constant need to enter MPs.
    It remains secure as each vault's lock and unlock is still handled in the same way internally. You're just removing the requirement to lock the current vault before opening a new one.
    It should be easily implementable in the extension.

Can you see any issues with that scheme?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne I would love to open up multiple vault simultaneously. This would be very useful in the web browser, where you simply want access to all your Logins (who cares what vault they are in, right?)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch I'd agree, provided you prefixed the login names with the vault name in case there are logins with the same name.

That said, I could see some people wanting to select a specific vault to work from. It shouldn't be that hard to allow individual vaults to be selected in addition to a "Combined" option.

Something related to my workflow, and my previous Ctrl+\ problems; it would be nice to allow extensions running in different Chrome profiles to select different vaults. If you recall, I run one profile for all of my work stuff and another for personal.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

it would be nice to allow extensions running in different Chrome profiles to select different vaults

Yeah that would be very nice indeed.

• CanisFirebrand
    CanisFirebrand
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.. I agree that the browser plug-in is much much better with 1Password 4. I am now able to switch between the vaults in the browser plugin instead of just being locked into the default vault with the previous plugin.

Not a major issue having to enter MP each time I switch vaults in the windows app. I guess I got spoiled with the newer iPhone app as switching between the 2 vaults doesn't require MP each time and was hoping the same would be present in the Windows app.

Still a happy user with this software and it makes managing passwords so much easier along with generating random strong passwords.

Thanks again.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for your follow-up, @CanisFirerband‌!

• CanisFirebrand
    CanisFirebrand
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the updates in the threads, not only to my question here. Always nice to see staff responding to questions/concerns.

I just noticed that I entered my username wrong when creating my account here. I tried to find a forum for site issues, but was not sure.

Username should be CanisFirebrand

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Looks like I was able to edit your username, @CanisFirebrand‌. Let us know if it doesn't work as expected, and I'll ask for assistance from an admin.

This discussion has been closed.