Firefox Addon not working

Options

Hello, I am a satified customer from Germany; using 1Password Version 1 on a Windows PC (Windows 8.1 Update 1). I installed Version 4 a few days ago on my PC because I also use Version 4 on my iPhone. I am very sorry to say that the new Version is a big disadvantage in comparison to version 1. Before I installed Version 4, I uninstalled Version 1 and also the browser Addon . After the first launch of v4, I installed the new v4 browser Addon. After the Start of Firefox v30.0, the Key Symbol of the new Addon is visible; but nothing happens when I click on it. Restarting the Password helper App does not solve this. Uninstalling, Computer restart and new Addon installing does also not solve the Problem. Because I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, I searched your Support Pages and created the registry Key You mentioned. After that, the Addon worked until the next restart of the PC. I had to restart the Password helper App several Times, but the browser Addon did not work. I disabled my Antivirus program, but without effort. After that, I made a System restore to get back to Version 1; which works again as known. I really would like to use the new Version, but in my opinion it should be tested better against actual operating Systems, up-to-Date Browsers and Security Software. If there are any hints regarding the Problems I mentioned, I would really appreciate them.
Kind regards from Germany,
Lothar Schaberg

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Lothar Schaberg‌,

You followed the instructions here, right?. Did you also add Agile1pAgent.exe to the trusted process list in Kaspersky?

I'm sorry you couldn't get 1Password v4 to work. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to test 1Password against every security software there is on the market. We would need not only test every software but also test every updates they issue. The best thing we can do is work with customers on configuring their software and add the information needed to our Knowledge base.

We'd love to help you fix this if you want to try this again. You can also email us for private email support.

• Lothar Schaberg
    Lothar Schaberg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT,

thank you very much for your reply.

The instructions you mentioned in your post are the instructions I followed.
    Although it is mentioned in the knowledge base article that adding "Agile1pagent.exe" to the list of trusted programs seems to be valid for users of Google Chrome only, I followed this advice. Both tips didn't really help.

I understand that you aren't able to test your software against every hardware/software combination on the market. But when I have a look at the support forum, I can see a lot of people complaining that the browser extension makes a lot of trouble. So I am going to stay with Version 1 (which works without the need of making changes to the system and/or security software) and watch the forum entries. Maybe it's a question of time, until the newly released Version 4 becomes mature.

Kind regards,

Lothar Schaberg

• Hi Lothar,

Please excuse the lateness of this reply.
    We're actively working with Kaspersky on fixing this.
    As it stands right now, Kaspersky is flat-out blocking a few standard functions in Windows that 1Password and other apps are using to communicate across programs.

If you send me your email address via PN, I will add you to the list of customer that will be informed once we have news regarding 1Password and Kaspersky.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience!

• Lothar Schaberg
    Lothar Schaberg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi AlexHoffmann,

PM sent.

• Lothar Schaberg
    Lothar Schaberg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

just wanted to let you know that I have uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 and changed to GData Internet Security 2015. 1Password 4 works now flawlessly.

Kind regards, and thank you for your good support.

Lothar Schaberg

• Hi Lothar,

Thanks for letting us know.
    In turn we will let you know the moment the "Kaspersky situation" is resolved :)

Cheers

• Lrad
    Lrad
    Community Member
    Options

Hi AlexHoffmann,

The same problem.

PM sent.

• HoKe
    HoKe
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi AlexHoffmann, you can put me on the list, too. Same problem with Kaspersky. All your solutions (reg entries, exceptions didn't work). 1Password only works when I turn off Kaspersky.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HoKe, I've added you to the list.

• canbush
    canbush
    Community Member
    Options

Please add me to the Kaspersky list also. thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Dave,

I've added you to our list as well, I've used your email address in your forum profile. If it is in correct, please send me a private message here with the right email address.

Thanks!

• farrina
    farrina
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,

I have sent you a PM with my email details requesting that I be added to the list of those afflicted.

Would be obliged if you acknowledge safe receipt

Cheers

Alan

• SoftuS
    SoftuS
    Community Member
    Options

Yes guy's. I was happy with the older version and not happy with the new one... I use Kaspersky too. Would have been nice to know before I upgraded. Not very professional guy's. I do not wish to change from Kaspersky to another... Seeing as the issues above was first raised on June 22nd.... a month ago? Is there a fix as yet?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Not very professional guy's.

That's a little unfair. You're experiencing a problem caused by third party software interfering with the normal and correct operation of your system. Working around such things can be difficult and time consuming. To my mind, the onus is on Kaspersky to stop breaking legitimate applications. Anything the 1Password guys do to workaround or resolve the problem is a bonus.

• SoftuS
    SoftuS
    Community Member
    Options

Not fair? I think it is. I see now that there is a compatibility notice out there with the current version of windows. Not Kaspersky....AND I'm still being asked if I'd like to ugrade. No warning telling anyone that you just may have issues. I love the program when it works!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

So you think that they should popup a warning for every potential incompatibility with your system before you upgrade? I can't see that being workable.

I only point I will grant you is that if you're on a different major version (v1 vs v4 for example) then it probably shouldn't keep prompting to upgrade.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The "upgrade available" message that appears if you're using 1Password 1 can be dismissed with a "don't show me this message again" option.

• SoftuS
    SoftuS
    Community Member
    Options

Guy's > surprised that I seem to see it differently. IF Kapersky* is the issue with the new version.... it's not like it's a VIRUS'R'US fly-by-night program that just came onto the market is it? Or some new shareware virus program...IF IT'S THAT. I still have the new version installed and it STILL does not work and I STILL have had no reply re my issue.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It may not be a fly by night program, but it sounds like it is behaving like. If my SV was blocking legitimate OS functions with no way to whitelist then it would be getting uninstalled rather swiftly!

Have you disabled browser verification:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/kaspersky-internet-security

• SoftuS
    SoftuS
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled Kapersky uninstalled 1password and then re-installed again with NO virus program. 1password still did not work. Browser verification is mentioned as an important security feature of 1password. Why would I disable? If I uninstall the new version and reinstall the old... will I be back where I started and will all then work or will I loose my database in the process.

Guy's by all means defend your program as you should but facts are facts. It does not work. I'll advertise your stuff in one of our newsletters if it works for free like I said I loved it, made my life simpler. Now its painful.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You disable it as a work around. You then add yourself to Agilebits' notification so that when they've got Kaspersky to fix the problem.

Which browser are you using?

• SoftuS
    SoftuS
    Community Member
    Options

Using Firefox. Firfox is the latest version. If Kapersky is disabled and 1Password does not work... can't be a Kapersky issue

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@SoftuS‌ : Latest version of Waterfox (unofficial 64 Bit build of Firefox), Windows 7 SP1 with latest updates, latest 1 Password 4 beta build, ESET Smart Security 7. Results : all clear.

I'm not sure that "disabling" Kaspersky from the GUI really disables all its modules plus it also launches Windows services that you can't easily disable i bet. I didn't use it since ages though...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

The 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase contains this article about Kaspersky, which includes a suggestion that you might need to disable 1Password's code signature verification temporarily. It does not mention "disabling Kaspersky." The knowledgebase also includes a larger article about troubleshooting the browser extensions. At most, you might be asked to disable your AV software temporarily, to determine whether doing so eliminates whatever problem you're seeing.

The 1Password 1 for Windows user's guide contains an article about troubleshooting third-party software. We had no information about Kaspersky at the time it was written, though.

This discussion has been closed.