1P4 for Windows - Slow

Options

I installed 1P4 for windows yesterday. This went very easily thanks to Alex step by step instructions. The only issue I faced at first was getting the button to show on the IE Tool Bar - but I fixed that.

Now my issue is that it is so slow. I can click on a log-in and it will literally take over 30 seconds to open the web site enter the user name and then enter the password. Sometimes it opens the web site and stops and I have to click the log-in a second time to get it to enter the user name and password.

I have a fast computer with Solid State Hard Drive

I have tried repairing the vault. Made no difference

Anyone else have ideas I might follow? I have not tried installing a back up as I am not sure where the problem might be. Nor have I tried an uninstall re-install.

Thanks for any help/advice. I really like the product but.....

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

@Andrew42‌, something is definitely slowing down 1Password! :(

Have you tried all the steps in the Troubleshooting browser extensions topic in the user's guide?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I went through each step of the Troubleshooting browser extensions that seemed appropriate: no change. I did not do steps 8 & 9 as I had not had trouble with ESET previously. However I did temporarily disable all protection to see if it made a difference: it didn't. So I sent in a copy of the diagnostics report, as suggested.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Having received suggestions from Eva who looked at my diagnostics report that maybe Malwarebytes and/or my anti-virus programme was interfering and causing the problem, I disconnected both. It made absolutely no difference. She also suggested that perhaps my Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic program was to blame and that I should turn that off too. Unfortunately I haven't a clue where to find it and how to deactivate it. I looked on the web and found nothing either. So I have not done that. I then completely uninstalled 1P4, rebooted, downloaded the software again and installed it: all with my ESET deactivated. I ran the new 1Password installation with ESET and Malwarebytes deactivated and it is better but still much slower than V1. Finally I reactivated both ESET and Malwarebytes and the performance remained the same: better much still much slower than V1.

Anyone got any thoughts that might help?

• Helheimr
    Helheimr
    Community Member
    Options

I have a simiular issue. With just 285 passwords in a folder it takes about 10 sec to load the contact of that folder in 1Password! I would like to use this software, but as it is now (demo version 4.09.0.492) it is unusable!

I have WIN7 PRO, x64 with an SSD.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42‌ and @Helheimr‌: Is a slowness perceptible only when you launch the main 1Password program, every time you unlock your vault, or ...?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

It is every time I try and log into a web site. In the cases, quite frequent, where 1Password only opens the web site but does not fill in the username and password details at all, a second click on the 1password button fills in the details instantly. Hope this helps.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is every time I try and log into a web site

@Andrew42‌ What web browser are you running?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

IE 11.0.9600.1726

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42‌ Out of curiosity, is it working better for you in Chrome or Firefox or Safari?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I only use IE on my PC. However my IPad is working without a problem.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42 Here's something you can try:

1. Start IE
    2. Click on the 1Password button
    3. Unlock
    4. Click on: Settings > Open Login In > Current Tab
  • Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Huge improvement. Thank you. Did I miss this somewhere in the User Guide?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Interesting. Using the "New Tab" option, a couple of test sites opened in ~2 seconds each; using the "Current Tab" option, the same two sites opened in ~1.5 seconds.

I've now noted that in the user's guide.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I've gone from 15 - 20 seconds or a two step log-in to 2-3 seconds (although I haven't actually timed it) and a one step log-in

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Wow, that's a very long delay. Do you have a lot of add-ons in IE or anything like that? The main reason there is a delay is due to the communication process between the extension and 1Password Helper, a background service that works with your browser extensions (among other things). This is being used to save new Login data into your 1Password data file and to share data for the filling process.

Each time you open a new tab in IE, a new process is created and that requires the extension to initialize a new communication pipe to 1Password Helper. This initiation process can be slightly slow in IE compared to other browsers. However if you switch to the current tab, the pipe is then reused and does not have to be reinitiated, thus saving a lot of time.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked my IE Add-Ons. Apart from 1P4 I have one from Adobe, One from HP, One from Logitech, Two from Microsoft and One from Skype.

Is that considered a lot? Frankly I haven't a clue whether I need them or not.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

No, I was thinking more like dozens, not 6. :P

If you don't need them, I'd strongly recommend disabling them all, beside 1Password of course.

After that, try switching back to new tab and see if it is shorter than 15 seconds now.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I followed your suggestion. It made no difference at all so I am back with "Open Log-in in Current Tab".

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for the update. In this case, it's more of an issue of how IE and extensions communicate with each other. It is likely that future versions of IE will provide us with a better option, so hopefully, it won't take Microsoft that long.

This discussion has been closed.