Attempting to run 1Password for Windows under WINE in OS X

Options
khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feature Request: Diceware Password Generator.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

My initial effort to get 1P4/Win running on my Mac in a Win7 Wine bottle using Crossover 12.5.1 resulted in a crash. Y'all should have gotten the report. Any suggestions?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That would be a completely unsupported configuration, but I've moved your post to the Windows category in case there is anything we can do. :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc Please contact me off-forum:

stefan AT agilebits DOT com

Thanks!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

The crash, which is reproducible, occurs when attempting to create a new vault. I just noticed that the vault is in fact created, and that I can open and use it when I relaunch the program. In other words, it is working for me, so I'm good now.

The reason I wanted to run 1P4/Win is to use the passphrase generator, and I can, and I can even copy a generated passphrase to the clipboard and paste it into a Mac app. Sweet!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc‌, if you're running things on a Mac, why not just use 1Password for Mac?

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

@DBrown—

The reason I wanted to run 1P4/Win is to use the passphrase generator, and I can, and I can even copy a generated passphrase to the clipboard and paste it into a Mac app. Sweet!

Once 1P/Mac gains a passphrase generator, I doubt that I would ever fire up 1P/Win unless a friend or relative who is running the program requires tech support. Even that might not be too useful, because the app seems to have issues under Wine (e.g. passwords are not concealed even when the view settings direct that they be concealed).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Does this not serve the purpose?

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown—

That looks like the 1P4/Mac "Pronounceable" generator. In addition to not being a passphrase generator, it has all of the problems that I discuss here as well as a variant of the separator problem that I discuss here.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is the 1Password for Mac password generator, with the Pronounceable option enabled. I show it because of your comment: "Once 1P/Mac gains a passphrase generator..."

Can you help me understand what you need in a "passphrase" that isn't met by the options in that password generator?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I suspect @benfdc means a pass phrase comprised of real words. While "shruj-usk-e-ow-o" might be pronounceable it is not really a "phrase".

After 1P for Windows got a Diceware generator there was mention of an internal discussion about whether to have all product lines support both diceware and pronounceable or to choose one or the other. I recall that @jpgoldberg‌ was leaning towards Diceware. Did anything sort of decision come from that discussion?

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

@DBrown asked—

Can you help me understand what you need in a "passphrase" that isn't met by the options in that password generator?

Ahh, now I understand why you and I have been talking past one another!!

Here are a few places to start:

xkcd: Password Strength

Diceware FAQ: What is Diceware

AgileBits Blog: Towards Better Master Passwords

That blog entry is obviously the most directly relevant discussion, but I put it last because it is a full essay so there could be tl;dr issues. :-)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne observes—

After 1P for Windows got a Diceware generator there was mention of an internal discussion about whether to have all product lines support both diceware and pronounceable or to choose one or the other.

If I had an opinion regarding that subject, this is where I would offer it, but at this point I don’t, so I won’t.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, @benfdc. Based on your comments, it sounds like you have a strong preference for Diceware, as the "merely pronounceable" passwords in 1Password for Mac motivate you to use the diceware option in 1Password for Windows.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Speaking strictly as a user of 1Password and as a Person Generally Interested in Staying Safe on the Internet, I have to say that the appeal of "passwords or passphrases I can remember" is hard for me to understand.

I use 1Password specifically so I don't have to remember passwords. In fact, the harder they are to remember, the better. Long, random combinations of upper- and lowercase letters, digits, and punctuation marks are exactly what I want, because I have to remember only my master password.

Diceware in particular leaves me absolutely flummoxed. After all the years of being warned not to use "dictionary words", I don't see any benefit in using a collection of dictionary words—especially one that's limited in number, publicly defined, and precisely reproducible—to generate passwords for my online accounts and other sensitive data.

For me, it's %ie@8$fKei6drn4cKem9di2#EN0Tl8end1oe&t for the win.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I bet you don't use that sort of password as your MP @DBrown‌. Can you imagine entering that in iOS or Android! ;)

Personally I use Diceware for my MP, primary email and dropbox accounts. Everything else is as you said, long and complex.

The reason people were historically advised against dictionary words is that they would typically pick one, or maybe two, words. Those words would be nowhere near random and so, were incredibly easy to guess. Diceware only works if the words are randomly chosen. If you start manually picking the words then you reduce the strength.

After all the years of being warned not to use "dictionary words", I don't see any benefit in using a collection of dictionary words

The analogy would be:
    "I don't see any benefit in using a collection of ASCII letters, numbers and symbols - especially one that's limited in number, publicly defined, and precisely reproducible"
    If you use alphanumeric + symbols you have a small number of symbols arranged in a large number of letters. In Diceware you have a much larger number of symbols but many few "letters".

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Good thread—it took a few rounds but I think we are all understanding one another now.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed! Thanks, guys.

This discussion has been closed.