Vanishing 1Password Extension for Firefox key since Firefox 29 [May be fixed in extension beta 4.2.4

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited July 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am having an issue with 1Password Extension for Firefox vanishing from the toolbar area since Firefox 29+. I thought that the problem would resolve itself but it still persists. I am presently using Firefox 30 and Extension 4.2.3. I had a look inside Customise.... and the key icon wasn't there. It would be there and then just vanish some time later.

The issue wasn't present in Firefox 28 and earlier.

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I was outside of the editing time frame when I realised that I needed to edit the message a little.

It would be there on toolbar area and then just vanish some time later. The issue wasn't present in Firefox 28 and earlier.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem‌

Are you seeing the icon come back if you restart Firefox?

If so, then you're likely encountering this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925950

What happens is that if a website opens a new window, some extensions are not loaded into the new window. The work around is to open all links in a new tab instead. Or open a new window manually as that works fine. This is a bug in the Firefox SDK and we've submitted sample code to them demonstrating the issue (see the bug report above). At this point it's something they're going to have to fix on their side.

Can you confirm whether or not this is what you're seeing? You can test it out with this link:

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/test/newwindowtest.html

If you click the link there you'll notice the icon goes missing in the new window.

Another thing you can check is going to Firefox Preferences, goto Tabs and make sure the "Open New Windows in Tabs" option is checked. This seems to resolve this issue most of the time. It won't prevent it all the time but it does go a long way to preventing it in many cases.

Let me know how it turns out!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I forcibly removed and then reinstalled the 1Password Extension. It's OK for now but I will monitor the situation.

Thanks.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem‌

Great to hear things seem to have improved. If there's anything else we can do to help please let us know.

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

I am having a similar problem with Firefox 30 and the 4.2.1 version of the extension. If I open Firefox with 2 or more tabs and then tear off a tab to make it a new window, the 1Passworrd key icon is moved from the menu bar to additional toolbar which is not normally displayed. When I customize the toolbars and move the key icon back to the menubar, it will stay there until Firefox is restarted. The key icon only disappears on the first tear off.

Bob

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @‌Bobe

I suspect this might be related to the bug I referenced in the first reply. Can you tell me the steps you're talking to recreate this? If I can recreate it I can determine if it's the same issue and then add it to the bugzilla report as further proof it needs to get fixed sooner rather than later.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Are you seeing the icon come back if you restart Firefox?

Kyle, It happened to me again after I shut down my PC. Exiting and relaunching Firefox solved it for me.

Thanks.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @wkleem‌

That's a pretty good indicator it's likely what I described in the first reply to you. Can you give instructions for how you're tearing away the first tab that you're seeing this with? I'm not able to recreate but it's likely due to the lack of steps. I figure once you type those up in detail for me then I'd be able to recreate it and can give you some more information.

Editing:

Whoops, I realized that it was Bobe that was having that happen.

Still, I suppose if you have steps that you can give me that allow you to recreate the problem that would still give me more information on which I can go with to recreate it and confirm it's the same bug. Pretty confident it's the same issue though :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

Nothing elaborate. If it happens when I start Firefox, a restart will resolve the issue. Otherwise, I could launch Firefox and not see the problem for some time or it may happen again on the next restart.

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

Start firefox. Open a website. Open a new tab by using the new tab icon or File -> New Tab. Open a website in the new tab. Left click and hold on a tab. Drag the tab down. Release the mouse button. Key icon is moved from the menu bar to the "Additional Toolbar. Occurs with any tab. Does not occur on subsequent tear offs after the key icon is moved back to the menu bar.

Bob.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@bobe‌

I just tried that and was unable to get it to happen. Can you tell me which version of the extension you're using? I tested with both 3.9.20, and 4.2.2b4

@wkleem‌

That does not seem like the same issue I am thinking it is. Under no circumstances would the issue I have mentioned previously spontaneously happen on starting up the app fresh. It only happens if you open a link that opens a new window, that new window will not have the icon in it. Closing it and opening a new window will show the icon again. This does not sound like what you're seeing.

Can you also tell me which version of the extension you're using?

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

In 1Password -> Preferences -> Browsers for Firefox 30.0, it says 4.2.1.
    In Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions it says 4.2.3.
    I reinstalled the extension. Above versions did not change.
    Also, I noticed that opening a new Window or Private Window moves the key icon. After moving the icon back to the menu bar it stays there until Firefox is restarted.

Bob

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @‌bobe

That's very weird. By chance can you send a screenshot of the before and after? I just want to make sure I am in fact looking at the same thing. Thanks for your patience on this one. I realize the questions I've asked probably seem incredibly mundane, but I just need to piece it all together and once that happens and I can recreate the issue then we can find out what is causing it. So far I haven't been able to recreate which is most of the issue so far.

If you need help creating a screenshot, there are instructions here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/

You can email them in if you wish to support@agilebits.com, if you do you should receive an email back with a unique code for your ticket, just reply to this discussion with that code and I'll locate it in the system.

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

Ticket # is IIW-59144-357
    Bob

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@bobe great, thanks!

I see a few things that are clearly different than my Firefox. Are you using any other themes or add ons for customizing the look and feel of Firefox? I have a feeling one of those add ons might be giving you trouble.

You can pretty easily test by creating a new Firefox profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Managing+profiles

Please don't delete the old profile, but do create a new one and test to see if the issue happens with a fresh new profile.

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

Created a new profile and installed 1Password Helper. Moved all Icons to the top. Cannot move URL box without add-ons. Opened a second tab. Tore it off. 1Password icon was moved from the left position to the right most position in the icons on the top. Still visible though.

Back to the normal profile, disabled all add-ons except 1Password. No change in behavior icon still moved to additional toolbar.

There appear to be two issues.
    1. When you tear off a tab, something causes the key icon to move to a new position.
    2. With the add-on, Classic Theme Restorer, the icon moves to a different toolbar. This add-on allows you to relocate the URL box to the menu bar and hide the "Navigation Toolbar" which is renamed "Additional Toolbar".

If you do not feel that any of this is something you need to address, I will live with it and continue using 1Password. I will not change to the recent firefox layout which just takes up too much screen real estate and looks just as bad as Chrome.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Bob

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bobe‌

Yea, the moving around side of things I believe is partially our fault, partially Firefox. We'll be rewriting parts of the code related to putting the icon in the toolbar in a future update. This should improve things with regard to being able to place it somewhere and it stays. I don't know if it'll help with the fact it's moving to another toolbar on you though.

There are definite pros and cons with using add ons that modify the behavior of software, particularly the visual look and feel as they can often have unintended side effects.

I'll cross my fingers that the 4.3 update this fall will have a fix for this due to changing the code related to reworking how we create the icon. We use a third party library for that due to the complexity of adding a toolbar item in older versions of Firefox. They've made it easier so we can now move to the new API for that but it's going to take a bit of time to rewrite all of that. Hopefully it also fixes the issue you're encountering.

I am sorry for the trouble you've had though. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can help in any other way though!

Kyle

• ahbb
    ahbb
    Community Member

Hello, I am having real problems with my extension. I can enable 4.2.3 on Firefox 30.0 but as soon as I close it, on reopening, the icon is gone and doesn't appear in the customize area either. Even if I disable all the other add-ons it makes no difference. I have not customised Firefox at all less my add-ons (all 3 of them: New Tab Homepage; Adobe PDF creator, Mcafee Site Advisor). The only way I can get the icon back is be disabling and then re-enabling the extension. I have tired reloading the extension but this doesn't change anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi guys,

Please try the 1Password extension 4.2.4 beta 1 extension, we've made some big changes there as to how the icon is loaded.

First, remove the extension from Firefox's add-ons area and close Firefox. Now, open the main 1Password program, unlock, go to the Preferences > Browsers to click on Install Firefox Extension. Now, when the extension page opens up in Firefox, click on the Enable Beta under the green Install button.

Now, click on the green button, and install the add-on. After it is installed, restart the browser, and see if it works better.

Note in this beta, you can actually right-click on the 1Password icon to have it moved to the Menu area instead of the toolbar.

• bobe
    bobe
    Community Member

MikeT,
    Tried the beta and it initially seem to correct the issue that I was having. I will report back if any problems arise.
    BobE

• Great, please do keep us informed of any progress.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.